Games You Played Today Classic Mini

It me. The Third Birthday fan. Note I played it in Japanese at release so I understood almost nothing outside of the story being a lot of nonsense. It’s a weird thing. It has a good verb set and then cover shooter level design then enemies that were not built to fight the moveset or the level design. It is the height of Square making sure all their employees were hyper specialized and never talked to each other and it is half a great game.

2 Likes

i want to play super paper mario again, i got the luigi chapter when it first came out and never finished it! i remember people hated the fetch quest but i think its the only time i enjoyed one

i was very invested in the townspeople and their well being

1 Like

Hmm it was in cytube chat, and for some reason I leaned you. If they’re reading REVEAL YOURSELF c’mon I just wanna question ya, see

@Rudie rocks and did so before I could finish this post :stars:

I used to recommend VS like Parasite Eve, as a quick reference point mostly for the wireframe attack-range system but really beyond that, after enough time and retrospect the similarities are few. Having played a ton of VS recently, been thinking how much better the general pace and action might’ve felt, had they found a halfway point to PE’s realtime movement of enemies spells and attacks. Keeping one foot firmly planted in tactics. Still a mostly elegant game just…not when you’re not constantly flipping through menus, selections and crafting.

I don’t know how much staff overlap it has from Mario RPG but timed hits have a big role in both.

I’m so mad they never made another Parasite Eve with the combat system from the first.

would you say you are parasite peeved

6 Likes

Parasite Eve was and still looks right in-between FFVII and VIII.

2 is so much more Resident Evil in a lot of good ways. Been ages but I think I found it actually more terrifying and jumpy due to how much more lethal enemies could be, plus the backdrop is some really unnerving, unassuming middle of nowhere truck stop, over a giant facility…where elites with money and science find purer life as artificial animals shit…which sounds kinda neat but in the context of the plot always freaked me out.

PE1 can be a lot of fun, enough to invite replays and the mountain with cherry on top Chrysler Building. 2 though has tons more in that regard, there’s a lot of rewards and point accumulation.

Scavengers made the best death noise

Scavenger2

No. 9 or the other Golems also had a certain yelp that sounded like “shIIIt!!!”

10%20AM

PE2 is way underrated imo.

Noteworthy:

2 Likes

I am almost through Chase The Express which you foreigners got as Convert Ops:Nuclear Dawn. Which is RE on a B-Action Movie Train. The problem with an RE on a train? It is exception linear when you are back tracking. I am currently trying to optimize save scumming because the game is real generous with ammo/health up front and then real stingy in the backhalf. Sometimes enemies drop supplies sometimes! So then you have to do a calculation to expend resources to…uhhh…move in a straight line. It also likes to give you attachments for guns you don’t have yet. Looks like I have two cross-train runs left till the credits. It also has alternative routes but lord if I can deal with playing this again.

I mean it was kind of nice until it started introducing mines in a hallway with tank-controls and no easy way to get rid of them.

2 Likes

Chase the Express is cool. Has some horror-y moments.

The hard mode is pretty tough in some areas.

also, PAL release was Chase the Express.

I never played PE2 because I was REALLY annoyed that they changed it to go after that Resident Evil money.

I was never a huge fan of the Resident Evil games. So, I didn’t really care to get Parasite Eve 2.

The “Parasite Eve II? More like Parasite Eve-il, amirite” jokes were real

1 Like

all i remember people talking about around the release of PE2 was that it had a shower scene, and then the commercial opened with the shower scene.

Bailing on We Happy Few. It’s just Fallout 3 with a different coat of paint and I’m not down for another dozen or so hours of that. I used to find stealthing about and being a klepto to be a source of endless compulsion in games like this but now it’s stale and I don’t want to do it anymore. Or at least I need it to be more fun than this particular strain.

2 Likes

as much as I like parasite eve the second one is low-key the better game and few acknowledge this!!

4 Likes

fuck playing a mage early on in DD. Boring as shit.
Real strider hours now

1 Like

i accidentally got mario and luigi dream team instead of the super star saga remake

they really lay it on thick with shitting on luigi in this game! give the man a break :bbcry:

i feel bad, like dark side in kotor 1 bad, AND ITS NOT EVEN MY CHOICE

I started playing Guacamelee and it is immediately clear that it is gonna have a lot of that kind of 'winking" game writing which is a major buzzkill. That unpleasantness aside within the first couple hours it has some decent platforming ideas and a combat system I remain unsold on.

3 Likes

That’s what really deflated everything else I liked about it. Decent-strong action platformer otherwise.

I found most of the writing easy enough to ignore, had a pretty good time with the game

I’m realizing that the main reason I never get anywhere in JRPGs is uncertainty around whether or not I’ll be near a save point by the time I’m going to have to stop playing, and that’s enough to make me less likely to even start a play session

2 Likes