Games You Played Today Classic Mini

I finally bought DEVIL ENGINE™.

It is very good and very difficult. If you have any love for Tecno Soft and hori shooters, this should be on your radar. They also managed to get Hyakutaro Tsukumo to contribute a few music tracks!

Check out DEVIL ENGINE™ today!

3 Likes

I now own a gp32. I gotta get a smart media card reader so I can play Her Knight. I have to go to Akihabara. The good news is both stores near me knew what the fuck a smart media card was. The bad part is it is a hilariously old and quaint tech at this point.

Wish this gp32 had just come with a cable.

5 Likes

wish someone would make a functional gp32 emulator. even if i got one, i wouldn’t be able to take screenshots to make blog posts about the games rassum frassum

also i had one back in the early 00s but i only ever played emulators and homebrew since i had no way of getting ahold of commercial games and no-one was uploading them back then. wah wahhh

1 Like

i did this all over Myst V and felt pretty cheap for it. although i doubt i’d have managed to complete it otherwise.

i played god eater 2: rage burst which i got for 3 dollars in a psn sale ages ago and uninstalled it as soon as this character design was shoved in my face

2 Likes

You picked the right time to bail, because it doesn’t get better after that in terms of character designs.

I wish Branson was sooner because I’m pretty sure I have a Smart Card reader.

1 Like

Ultimately it’s the asymmetrical stockings that are really offending me

Gotta show off that belt that’s…just there hanging out. I’m more confused about that unattached strap dangling there on her shoulder, ready to whap her in the face as soon as she twirls that hammer around for any sort of attack.

She’s a terrible notTifa is what I’m saying.

1 Like

3 Likes

Someone made a spider man web slinging tech demo in Dreams but by including the music for the spider man 2 pizza delivery mini game it became very stressful to just be in.

6 Likes

article talking about the scholarship they based the game on - which includes his astrological charts, which pretty closely match the grids in the game!

haven’t seen “coitus post consultatio” yet but I still need to check out the transcribed case files

5 Likes

I suppose people being able to recreate classics, is proof that Dreams is all that and a bag of chips. And its probably a good way to get better with the tools, so that you can then make other stuff.

However, I’m most excited about that other stuff. The possibilities for original games. Which is to say, I really have no desire to check out any of the direct remakes, on there.

I can’t wait until the news headlines shift from “somebody remade X in dreams and you won’t believe it”. To, “Somebody made an original game in Dreams and you won’t believe how good it is”.

1 Like

Finished the story in Rage 2 AKA Walker: Wasteland Ranger. It was fun. I shot the dudes, their heads exploded, everything was pink and purple and blue. I’m going to keep playing it until I get bored with it. Or until I Do all the Stuff (I’m probably going to Do all the Stuff).

I love the credits sequence.

The comic panels basically recap all the story missions (there aren’t many, like ten tops) so if you want to know what the story is but don’t want to actually play the game (or watch someone shoot all the heads for ten hours) you can just read these nice, pulpy comic panels.

I started making some notes because I was going to make a topic but I’ll just post them here instead:

Ok so look Rage2 is a Video Game.

Pros:

-A shooter with loot but it’s not a “looter shooter” like Destiny, Division, etc.
-Limited set number of guns, no picking up random guns off enemies
-Each gun has it’s own personality
-Gunplay feels good
-Big open world with Lots of Stuff to Do
-Variety
-Locked 60 FPS
-Car combat

Cons:

-”Just” a shooter
-Lots of Stuff to Do is repetitive
-Guns have personality but you’re probably going to pick a favorite and just stick with it the whole game (hello ranger assault rifle)
-No HDR
-Only 1080p on enhanced consoles, 4K only possible on PC
-Vehicle physics are more like GTA V than GTA IV, floaty instead of weighty

The assault rifle is the most all around useful gun because the other guns have to be found in the world so they can’t design any missions that can’t be completed without an assault rifle. As a result I used the assault rifle almost exclusively despite having a revolver that has remote-explosive rounds.

Haven’t played the car combat much but like in Mad Max there are convoys you can battle and take out. Unlike Mad Max the vehicles don’t feel as realistic or meaty to control and there’s no good gameplay hook to them like Mad Max’s harpoon gun. The main vehicle you start with can be upgraded to have more guns and rockets and that sort of a thing but that’s it. Near the end of the story you get a tank and it’s pretty cool.

The story is weak and kind of phoned in but it’s not the point of the game it’s there to give you a reason to go out in the world and Do the Stuff. You can at least skip the scenes whenever you meet new characters and dialogues can be buttoned through as well.

Hairlips = mutant :waynestare:

Game uses a Skyrim-style compass instead of a minimap and thank god for that. So glad open world game designers have learned to ditch the minimap.

Game is pretty and colorful and has really nice explosions. Shooting the dudes feels good.

I had (am having) fun but it is basically all pretty standard open worlder fare on offer. There’s no neat hook to shake things up like Mordor’s Nemesis system or Rockstar’s absurd attention to detail and storytelling. Kind of feels like open world games need more than just Stuff to Do, and have needed it for going on a decade now. They need something novel to mix it up because just being in a big open space isn’t novel anymore like it was from GTA 3 to GTA 4.

I want to see more experimental systemic things going on in these games, more simulation-y things. I want mood and set and setting and I absolutely do not want to ever stand around waiting for a digital puppet to finish reciting lines at me. I want storytelling but I want it in a completely indirect way so I can ignore it at a moment’s notice or dive deep when I feel like.

Rage 2 just has Real Fine Shooting (better than Rage 1’s) and… a pretty cool (and by now heavily played out) vaporwave aesthetic kind of thing?

I keep thinking of a hypothetical game about a fully simulated city where all the people are all a schedule and you can body hop from person to person at will instantaneously and everything’s dynamic and interconnected so things you do with one person have cascading effects throughout the rest of the city-system even long after you’ve bodyswapped through 1000 more people or whatever. And I want that to just be like the novel new feature in the next GTA or something. Like that’s the level of stuff that needs to start happening in open world games.

1 Like

hmmmmm

4 Likes

I played and finished Observation. Uh, this game sucks lol. I’d actually had preferred it if the story didn’t try to do some weird stuff because it fails spectacularly. There is some really brainless gameplay and puzzles, and the last puzzle you do in the game is literally some simon-says type bullshit. Yikes! The best part of the game is when you get to float around in zero g as a robotic operating buddy.

Anyway, everything this game tries to do was already done better a few years ago by games like Adr1ft, The Turing Test and Tacoma.

1 Like

Do you know enough about Event[0] to compare? That’s the thread that draws me towards this.

1 Like

I didn’t play that one.

Been a rough week, so I decided I’d go ahead and give Team Sonic Racing a try. It’s…fine! That sounds like damning praise, but it’s very much in that Sumo kart gaming vein of drift-heavy tracks and racing that is more or less pleasant to play. No surprises or real track changes like Transformed, and there’s more or less a uniformity between racers apart from their which of the three character types they fall into. But…it’s OK! I played it for like four hours and had a good time.

Coming off of weeks of playing MK11 and watching heads get ripped off and bodies split in half, I even kinda welcome the goofy Sonic and friends antics. It’s pretty upbeat!

Doin’ my weekly Dreams report now I guess!

Aurora: So far this is the best game I’ve played this week, if only because the bear you play as is very well modeled and has a good saunter. There’s nothing really to do in it other than walk around the very small forest map as a triphop track plays. Pleasant!

Borderworld: Sort of a first person tech demo that tries to do the heavy flat shading thing Borderlands does, then kinda abandons that part way for just making first person jumping levels. Eh!

Crash Bandicoot: Dreams: Worth it only to see the incredibly fucked up walk that Crash has.

Hong Kong (Day/Night): Cool if only because it’s a very small map with a ton of verticality. Looks pretty nice. You can go upstairs in a restaurant and find a steaming bowl of wonton soup.

Guns: Not the name of the game, someone is just spending a ton of time modeling different guns.

The Gravity Garden: Really cool little game where you walk around the inside faces of a cube, finding apples hidden in the landscapes.

2 Likes

i went to the arcade again, it just opened last year and is my favorite in the neighborhood

they have two killer queen cabinets and i really wanna bring nine people

11 Likes