Games You Played Today Classic Mini

My brother got on the closed beta for Mario Kart Tour and let me try out a race.

The touch steering controls feel distinctly awful.

I don’t recommend it.

3 Likes

yeah it’s awful, like dragging my finger through cold cream of wheat, like driving a car with a gas pedal made of jello, like riding a lawnmower downhill into a river of tar

6 Likes

choice upcoming warioware minigames

8 Likes

Bonglord that Pong cabinet is so cool and is not fun to play.

I play it everytime I see it and get sad everytime.

its SO COOL LOOKING but you have to spin the controller harder than like, super off road

i mean original pong was clunky too so whatever

Tonight I finished What Remains of Edith Finch.

CW: CANCER REFERENCE

I might have enjoyed it more if my friend’s seven year old daughter had not been diagnosed with cancer and undergone intense treatments this past year. It’s a game about a lot of kids dying and that can be hard to stomach right now. Under different circumstances, I might have enjoyed it.

CW: POSSIBLE PLOT SPOILER

Also, I think it might be diagetically linked to the plot of The Unfinished Swan? That felt wild.

1 Like

45 posts were split to a new topic: if kong is rong I don’t want to be right

It is, yeah. It caught me well off guard, although to be fair I had no idea who actually made WRoEF when I played it.

2 Likes

Man, I was about to play this last night but I was so tired because I stayed up for two days and I’m catching the cold that my girlfriend has and so I decided to quit on character select

I’ll go for Cao Cao aka easy mode because I’m a wimp who’s never played a Total War before

made it to the second nightmare of mensis lamp in bloodborne

couldn’t have done it without remembering to run away when in the spider room

1 Like

can’t stop thinking about what this guy must smell like

8 Likes

did steve-o get left behind in japan again?

2 Likes

Definitely mayonnaise

1 Like

or Miracle Whip

Downloaded Jalopy for free from the Humble store and hoooo boy the controls are just about the most fiddly, pixel-hunting horseshit ever. I bet this would be an amazing game otherwise. This isn’t some deep sim so I’m not sure having to manually perform each aspect of your auto repairs is actually something the player needs to do. Probably a lot of this could have been menu-driven. That would have been drier, but far less tedious. (And sure, I get “Hey the whole point is that driving and maintaining an Eastern Bloc hunk of shit car was probably frustrating and tedious” but like, no, doing it with one’s own hands wouldn’t be so damn annoying.)

1 Like

saliva

id totally play a turn based driving game with tons of menus though

2 Likes

some games have made me wonder if obtuse menu navigation could be honed into a trainable skill of its own. something where you continuously dip in and out of different micromanage-able components, eventually getting lost in so many layers of abstraction that you lose sight of what the “core” gameplay was to begin with.

i would put this in the ideas megathread if it didn’t sound completely horrifying and kafkaesque and i don’t want to think about it again

3 Likes

papers please ran with that idea about as well as anyone has I think

between that and FTL it was having a little moment there but I wonder if it hasn’t already passed

3 Likes

It’s way more common for games to grow outward from micromanagement to macromanagement. Factorio is one example of dizzying changes in scale of actions (particularly satisfying because the transition needs to be meticulously planned). The whole Candybox-inspired web menu exponential clicker genre also comes to mind

1 Like