Games You Played Today Classic Mini

As an extremely MGSV-lite kinda game, it can be pretty fun, but the dialogue is horrendous in every sense.

I just find out where weapon parts are and pretend I’m conducting rescue missions for 'em so I can put a new scope or grip on my gun.

I guess it’s telling that the sequel is swerving hard from real-world locations/narco terror storyline for some near-future scifi stuff on a fictional island. Less likely to have a nation’s embassy send a stern letter to your country that way.

1 Like

Having played through the original Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga at the end of last year those changes sound like a good thing? In my case the various levels for the special attacks kinda bit me in the ass by the end as the game never really required you to do much with them along the way because of the timing-based defensive system. I was doing enough damage with regular attacks and while I could have in theory saved a few turns it didn’t seem worth the risk of missing attacks while trying to learn them.

Unfortunately they changed the game balance for the last couple bosses where the only way to actually damage them to any degree was with the special attacks, of which I didn’t have any of the advanced versions or know the timing of for the hard versions which were the ones to do actual damage. Long story short I think the final battle took me in the neighborhood of an hour to finish as the boss couldn’t hit me yet I could only very gradually chip away at its health and… it was a terrible experience. If I was of a different disposition I’d say it ruined the whole game but no, it was still a fairly okay experience that just ended poorly.

So hey, them deciding that the original version was flawed tracks with me. Perhaps I should have played the remake and you should have played the original again? >_>

1 Like

Played teleglitch for 15 minutes seems good hi @Felix

Played sky rogue for 20 minutes seems good hi @HEAVYVIPER

i think playing divinity 2 is making me depressed somehow? for some reason accidentally ‘sequence breaking’ activates some secret reserve of inexplicable anxiety for me (even though the game accommodates it pretty well, getting the impression that i’m doing things out of order but can’t figure out what the correct order should have been creates a kind of terror)

wish i had a gamer psychiatrist to talk to about this

2 Likes

I think that’s right! My favorite thing about the game is the special attacks and the key to unlocking the whole game, at least for kid me, was that I could use the special attacks on basically everyone if I carried enough syrups. Or found the equipment that regenerated your bros points by a little bit each turn.

There were some welcome changes, specifically the heart blocks everywhere (I always forget that the only healing you get in the original is via items) and the coffees costing half as much so you can get the very cool accessories faster. It’s possible that I just like…have played this game too many times.

1 Like

I played Hitman 2016 the past couple of nights. It’s a very good game, and extremely funny.

In the first “real” mission, I was real cool with getting the first target lady - disguised myself as a male model (Helmut, who did NOT die), met with the target and BAM, done.

The second target guy though…I could not figure him out in any reasonable way. He’s always surrounded by people and just generally inaccessible. I was poking around when I found out you can drop the lights on him. I disabled a couple of guards and popped over to the light rig while he was on stage. Unfortunately, I did not bring a crowbar so I couldn’t do it. I decided I would just fuck around so I took out Helmut’s phone and just dropped it when I thought it might hit my target in the head. Apparently there’s auto-aim OR I have amazing timing, because I bonked him on the head and killed him.

I ended up just running away while everyone in the building shot at me. It was really stupid and hilarious.

8 Likes

ah, I think I played this in Early Access and wasn’t very impressed. Will give it another go!

EDIT: okay I really like what they’re gong for (rogue-ish cel-shaded Ace Combat) but the level of polish just isn’t high enough to keep me playing. feels…loose.

1 Like

yeah, the narcoterrorist shit is just incredibly transparent propaganda considering bolivia is one of the only south american countries that told the DEA to eat shit and dramatically lowered drug violence thru regulation and decriminalization of coca instead of forever drug war, so its us government approved portrayal in the game is awfully suspect!! also the other plus side to making your squad all women is that they didnt bother to re-record so much of the shitty “yeahhh were operators heres some Operator Humor for you” conversations so mostly they only have useful things to say in combat or, bizarrely, keep telling me to hit sick jumps whenever we pile into a helicopter

3 Likes

i played a little hitman 2016 when it was free on ps plus and it got good when i figured out i could carry fire extinguishers basically everywhere without suspicion i started running around smacking all my targets in the head as the Fire Safety Officer. it makes this comical fucking BONK sound effect and its the funniest thing in the world to me. eventually i just branched out to things i could throw so my roommate was like “what the fuck” when he saw my inventory and that it was full of bricks, scissors, screwdrivers, and all kinds of weird shit

3 Likes

Yeah, as nice as it is to neatly, clinically, and a bit mechanically pull off a perfect hit, there’s nothing like being hunkered behind some furniture, combing your inventory for anything you’ve got, and just beaning a guy with a soda can and running over and snapping his neck.

Eventually you learn the levels and that rarely, if ever, happens again, but that first time or two through it’s a real hoot.

Also, for an easy way to kill the guy in Paris, work your way to that hall with the bathrooms in the east side of the mansion, then go into the gift shop and grab the screwdriver. Use that on the surge protector in the puddle next to the patio, and wait in the dining hall until he gets confronted by the reporter. He’ll angrily storm out and walk across the surge protector. If you’re playing 2016, you can flip the nearby power switch beforehand. If it’s Hitman 2, you gotta run outside and wait for him to exit to the patio, because random NPCs will step into the puddle and die instead.

1 Like

Imagining 47 with racks of shuriken, balanced knives, throwing axes, shaking his head and selecting a crowbar

“This, is the superior ranged weapon”

4 Likes

There is a worse game than Golden Axe and that is Golden Axe 2.

Playing that and Space Harrier 2 with Rewind lets me know these games are definitely bullshit where the same action can randomly be successful or failure.

just remember that we’re never getting Revenge of Death-Adder ever

it’s not like Sega would ever do anything to hurt us

right

His weapon of choice is actually a briefcase.

3 Likes

I understand this feeling very well. For me, the anxiety comes not from some sense that I’m not “playing perfectly” or violating some kind of preordained teleology, but just that I’ll miss stuff. I play games to see stuff so if I miss stuff it makes me sad I didn’t see it, and I know I’m never going to replay anything so if it’s missed it’s missed forever.

Youtube is a wonderful salve for this anxiety.

3 Likes

The power went out last night due to a thunderstorm. What better way to spend my spooky evening than to play BRAIN LORD?

BRAIN LORD is great. The level design feels ripped straight out of a '82 dungeon crawler.

I’ve also been playing Pokemon Pinball: R&S during my downtime at work. If anybody can beat my 500,000,000 high score on the sapphire table, I’ll give you a big pat on the back or whatever. I could have probably reached a billion, but I died right before I could get an extra ball :’(

5 Likes

Brain lord has a killer soundtrack too

I have to stop now because I’ll just post like 9 more songs

2 Likes
2 Likes

perfect music for traveling to the magical land of To’Ron To

3 Likes

An example of remixing in Dreams.

Original:

A remix, probably several remixes down the genealogy, where someone has taken the model someone else made and made their own modifications to it:

1 Like