Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Cool, it’s on itch!

i think i like to replay adventures of batman & robin just as an excuse to listen to the soundtrack, tbh

and to have visuals go along with it i guess. it’s my favorite music video next to the entirety of downward spiral played alongside the first part of end of evangelion

4 Likes

oh fuck I’m actually playing games again instead of just coming in here and offering up snarky replies to other people

the stuff I’ve been playing a lot lately is skewed towards emulatin’ because I have this CRT monitor on my desk chair and I’m too lazy to move it but also let me tell you about scanlines (actual scanlines, physical black lines from the monitor)

• High Seas Havoc - I have severely underrated this game in many respects after learning how to speed my way through it and also I cannot for the life of me figure out the secret of the last boss’s bullshit homing lightning attack, which I’m okay with because I can blaze though the rest of the game in like, 30 or so minutes so I can spend the next half hour and 30+ lives hitting my head against the wall. you would think I would be able to do it after getting these exact same conditions 4 times this week. you clearly don’t know me.

• Battlemania Daiginjo - this game fucking owns and I need to sell off one of my kidneys for a copy. if Treasure did shit in games because they could, crazy designer guy behind this game did shit in this because he wanted to and who was going to stop him anyway

• Socket - it’s a game, it’s a bit jank, I still like it

• TMNT Hyperstone Heist - I swear I used to be good at this, honest

• Miracle Girls Festival - I can delete it off my Vita whenever I want to, I swear

• Diablo 3 - I could be playing Path of Exile. I’m not clever enough for that. though the game is trying to dick me over for the new season because I haven’t gotten shit for gear yet and I got the same goddamn legendary daibo twice trying to random something good

anyway, videogames: still bad

11 Likes

Anyone tried the new campaign for Titan Quest?

High Seas Havoc is great and I will always be here for it.

1 Like

Tonight we cracked my copy of Betrayal Legacy. It is my first legacy game, and my entire group (myself included) were not prepared for how compelling it turned out.

Having to tear up game cards (or worse, cardboard tiles) feels viscerally WRONG but also is a bit of a rush?

2 Likes

Legacy games own. Pandemic Legacy is considered the best one, but against all critical consensus, my group had the most fun with Seafall. Unfortunately, two of our players had a very bad breakup in the middle of the campaign and we had to abandon it. The greatest peril that can befall a game like that!

8 Likes

Betrayal Legacy is a lot of fun when you’re not spending two hours trying to parse the WORST WRITTEN RULE BOOK OF ALL TIME. Get prepared to look up clarifications a lot! Still a fun time, though.

1 Like

Well I went back and beat Axiom Verge. Once I settled that it was just a metroidvania and not a glitchy-unknowable NES game I guess I made peace with it. It did more with storytelling than I expected at least but the problems with the early game (poor area identity, webcomic protag, use all verbs on all surfaces) don’t go away. The last one somewhat goes away as the locks become more blatant and use everything on everything is just if you want more lore or more guns you don’t need or more upgrades you mostly don’t need.

And well spoiling myself on the story was enough that I saw it through to the end. You are railroaded for a real long time and then the world opens up far too wide and you are given very little direction where to go. Back to the levels not having enough sense of identity. The game does have good sense to block you from the ends of rooms so you have guesses of where to use your new keys.

I didn’t expect the wiki spoiling me on the plot to be taken directly from the in-game text. Sometimes you gotta call yourself a jerk. This has been the jerk gamer like comment and subscribe.

5 Likes

Wasn’t really a problem for us! I agree that not every mechanic was clarified, but I’ve definitely encountered worse-written rules for games.

started up a new demons souls file after wiping my hdd. still the best

3 Likes

http://www.octofoil.info/games/poop/ im really good at this one

Oh, I meant in future plays, it gets worse as it progresses, hah

this tutorial that’s supposed to teach a move in yakuza 0 and you’re surrounded by 3 guys with tazers and it’s in the shittiest fighting style in the entire game and you can’t even run away fast enough to not get tazed and you can’t punch fast enough to cancel their attacks and you have to build up to the second heat meter every time and you have to do it like five times is harder than anything in sekiro

6 Likes

so my wife and I beat breath of the wild for the first time today

14 Likes

Fugue in Void is cool. Takes about 45 minutes. neat visuals.

Which I am using as a jump off that if you haven’t played Bernband yet you should really play Bernband.

1 Like

whoa

1 Like

Finished the Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga remake. Bowletta is a good boss. Otherwise I think the game is sort of empty - after figuring out how to dodge attacks for most of the enemies, it becomes trivial, and it doesn’t help that they removed the difficulty system around special attacks for the remake. Whereas, in the original, you can do an Easy, Medium, or Hard version, each costing less MP but also being harder to actually pull off, this game just gives an Easy mode of each special attack that costs more MP but slows down for each button prompt.

I think this was a bad decision. Part of the intrigue around the combat system in the original was not only unlocking the advanced version of each move, but having to practice the moves in real combat. In the original, Easy had slowdown around each button prompt AND prompted you with the button. Medium went full speed but kept the prompts. Hard was no prompts, full speed, and I think extra damage as well. Progressing through each difficulty was a minigame in itself.

In the remake, you can practice each move as many times as you like for free before committing to it, so Easy mode is essentially useless, and you just use the normal one always.

Anyway, it’s a fine game but it’s no Paper Mario or even SMRPG.

3 Likes

Dreams is like one of those 250-in-1 Game Consoles you find at mall kiosks. People are making some really impressive knock-offs of real games, like a Scooby Doo based Luigi’s Mansion clone called Shaggy’s Mansion. But today I was super impressed by a Spyro the Dragon clone called Skyroe the Griffin. It really nailed the look, sound and controls of an actual Spyro game for better and for worse. It’s even got voice acting! (Also all the crystal sounds actually come out of the DS4’s speakers.)

5 Likes

ghost recon wildlands was on sale so im playing it now. its pretty fun for the most part. its a better operator dressup simulator than arma 3 and i even had a pretty fun moment sneaking around an enemy firebase at night! but then someone says some shit like “are you teasing the detainees again? :)” in reaction to you plowing a pickup truck thru a surrendering enemy and its like oh yeah its that tom clancy baby

2 Likes