Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Zaxxon’s Motherbase 2000

It’s bizarre. It feels like game designers who knew nothing about shooters decided to make a shooter. They make bad choices sometimes. The game often doesn’t give you much space to work with, especially if you’re in a large vehicle. The ability to steal enemy ships is super fun though. If I had played this in 1995 I would have been hooked. As it is, I’m enjoying it quite a bit.

2 Likes

The opposite of The Zone is probably The Outer Limits or something?

The Zone, on the other hand is a mid 90s Australian saturday morning TV show about video games, so you probably don’t want to go there anyway

9 Likes

awwww yeah now we’re talking video game journalism mother fuckers

6 Likes

FUCK YEAH THE ZONE, Mutley was the MAN

4 Likes

I remember waking up early to watch it every saturday morning, and eventually realising they seemed to have phased out the actual reviews in favour of just doing a bunch of skits with a Guile action figure arguing with a school backpack and statue or something?

Then they retooled the show as some kind of youth culture thing where Mutley and Co reviewed designer jeans and music etc and it was shit

Yeah! It slowly turned into a crappy sketch show written by people who really weren’t funny. I stopped watching around that time. Before that, it was one of my favourite things on TV! Really wish the whole thing was archived.

Also, any other Australian’s remember Finder’s Keepers? It was filmed in Adelaide! And the whole thing is on the tubes!

2 Likes

Yep, I remember being forced to watch it in school, and re-watched it a couple years ago. I used to work at the supermarket across the road from where they filmed the scenes with the weird creepy clock

2 Likes

Is it jealous in here, OR IS IT JUST ME? Also, I wish they made ME watch this in school, all we got was Mulligrubs.

2 Likes

Ah, fuck that show and its creepy face person thing

sorry not sorry

3 Likes

The solution to this is to always be in a rally car! The 80s-er the better

4 Likes

is now the time i tell about how one time i was hanging out with my junkie mate and he took me to his friend’s flat and one of the backpacks from Lift-Off was just lying in the middle of his living room, under a coffee table covered in pink spray paint and a wall with cLOUDDEAD lyrics scrawled across it

4 Likes

6 Likes

i am not australian, but i remember finder’s keepers (except it was called the finder here, because we already had a game show called finders keepers), there were a lot of australian kids shows on uk tv in the 90s.

i was also terrified of the clock statue thing.

2 Likes

@Mr_Mechanical Ah yeah I’m definitely just throwing all my money into auto stat adjustments on cars I like, to my detriment, it seems!

@BLUE_BLACK_PURPLE One thing I will never get tired of in this game is the frequent and on point use of In The Hall of The Mountain King for event races.

@km I’ve probably used the Subaru you get early on for the bulk of the races in the game. Other than “hmm this car looks neat!” I’ve really had zero reason to switch from it.

I’m medicated for ADD and I also can’t deal with Tetris Effect. I have the same issue with Housemarque games – there’s so much visual noise that my brain refuses to parse the image in a way that facilitates playing the game. I often wind up ‘forgetting’ to play find myself mashing the sticks and buttons in a similar fashion to small child pretending to play an arcade game during the demo mode. I have no issue with Cave shooters – they’re designed well in terms of color, tone, and movement all being meaningful.

Me too!

The worst is the one where parts of set blocks occasionally rotate toward the screen for a second making it look like there’s a gap where there isn’t and my brain just zeros on the motion. It’s like trying to drive through an unfamiliar neighborhood at night while having a conversation and also clowns in reflective vests keep stepping into your lane and waving.

4 Likes

Are Y’all having trouble with TE also have trouble processing modern 3D games? Like Destiny, God of War et all I have to use more brain power than i like processing what I am looking at in terms of the enviroment. It never stops me from playing but I have a lot of problems looking at the game being like “that’s a spaceship. That’s a wall.”

1 Like

God of War 2018 was very legible for me; Destiny 2 blew up my retinas.

1 Like

SelectButton:

4 Likes