Games You Played Today Classic Mini

update: sprint vector is a must have if you have VR, up there with superhot

good year for racing games of various stripes really

2 Likes
1 Like

I got .hack GU Last Recode, i think im gonna play it in cheat mode cuz the gameplay honestly sucks and I donā€™t want to watch a letā€™s play as i wanna do it at my own pace

The in-game tcg is fun.

signature quote

1 Like

cave story is good as, tho my patience for the end game boss sequence was def thin

1 Like

i played the demo for tetris effect and got In The Zone

recommended if you too would like to visit The Zone

5 Likes

Did you find the controls a little sluggish? Maybe it was just me

my main issue was instinctively pressing up on the d-pad to rotate and just dropping the piece - the controls have a little bit of delay i think but it might be so it fits better with the music? not sure. didnā€™t find it much of a problem but iā€™m not exactly a tetris pro

really? I felt the controls were pretty responsive. not like, TGM-level snappy but as good as most modern efforts, if not better (being able to buffer moves and rotations as a piece comes onto the field helps out)

After a few days I think I can give my recommendation for Forza Horizon 4. Itā€™s Outrun 2 levels of fun to race in this! (of course itā€™s a completely different game but you know)

2 Likes

whoa that is a bold statement
tell me more

The only thing I havenā€™t liked about Horizon 4 is how damn rough that AI can be (that, and I think Horizon 3 had better tunes).

I accidentally started an off road rally course with a muscle car, and seeing the AI take corners I couldnā€™t even dream of with the same car I was careening around with, I dunno!

Then again, a running thing with me and games is that Iā€™m bad at 'em, so.

Speaking of! Iā€™m stuck in Oklahoma for work until the weekend, but itā€™s given me time to mess around with my SNES Classic (which also means this is the most Iā€™ve ever played my SNES Classic).

Super Mario World - Iā€™m terrible at it but I appreciate what it does? Pretty sure Iā€™ve just got crusty reflexes, but Iā€™m extremely good at hitting switches and blocks in such a way that I fly off platforms or directly in front of enemies. Iā€™m also maybe too obsessed with trying to find hidden exits and not just taking the game at my own leisure.

Zelda: LttP - Still good! Way more pleasant without those yelps and squawks the GBA version added.

Super Metroid - Maybe the first time Iā€™ve played this game in earnest? Still not wild about how exploration and progression ultimately comes down to ā€œbomb/shoot every block and corner until one of them breaks,ā€ but Iā€™m having a (mostly) good time with it. Just did that tunnel where the little green dudes teach you to wall jump. Tookā€¦a while.

2 Likes

I will expand upon this tomorrow because Iā€™m currently at a turning point in the gameā€™s progression and I can only say so much now.

The gist of it is that Horizon 4 is a number of racing games in one. It depends totally on the car youā€™re driving which one. If you drive a Honda Civic itā€™s like a PSX racing game. I tuned my Ferrari 512 TR to a point where it indeed feels like an Outrun game because itā€™s so aggressive and so beastly that you can feel its latent power in your bones when you start to drift at high speeds. The Vantage GT12 is so well rounded and handles so well it feels like a different game entirely again because I donā€™t really drift with it. Then Iā€™ve got this weird racing car that has a 10/10 handling rating and it made me realize that Iā€™ve flung an object at 250 km/h in videogames before, Iā€™ve just never controlled an object at 250 km/h before. Itā€™s like controlling your ship in a bullet hell shooter. That was a first for me. Thereā€™s so much nuance to this gameplay itā€™s incredible and the audio-visual feedback is second to none. And yeah, ā€œthis is Outrun 2 levels of funā€ was one of the thoughts I had today while racing.

I really donā€™t like ā€œmake your own funā€ kind of games but this one I like. You make your own fun by choosing which car you use and in which event. Itā€™s great.

it is also the most joyously (and successfully) english thing Iā€™ve encountered since like the early blair era, which you may feel differently about

but yeah I wouldnā€™t necessarily emphasize the outrun comparison (in part as Iā€™ve never really liked japanese arcade racers), itā€™s just a hugely generous racer that is as simulationist as it needs to be while also letting you do cross-country races through back gardens of villages at 250km/h

It does have a very unbritish joie de vivre to it. I mean youā€™re racing against hover crafts, motocross bikes and trainsā€¦

2 Likes

all the visual noise and clutter of Tetris Effect puts me in whatever the opposite of The Zone is

it pushes me right out of The Zone

itā€™s a large man with a hammer pounding on my temples every time I threaten to edge near The Zone

6 Likes

I mean lumines needed this shit because thereā€™s no actual game but tetris is tetris :waynestare:

4 Likes

Did you have your car all tuned up? Iā€™m not much of a car person so rather than tuning my cars in Forza Horizon I just download one of the setups other players have made. The difference between how a vehicle handles before and after is profound.

Also I just played the Tetris Effect demo to and I agree with shrug that it could do with a bit less of the effect part of it. Itā€™s a bit hard to see the board when moving from one level to the next because stuff explodes and flashes and the blocks all change art styles and stuff but everythingā€™s still falling while all thatā€™s happening.

Cleared some space of dusty old peripherals in exchange for The New Colossus and Shadow of Mordor, just put an hour into BJā€™s latest resurrection.

I knew it was wilder out the gate but hot damn, the first nearly scripted opportunity for a stealth kill just broke me to stop and chuckle.

2 Likes

Spouse had the same reaction ā€“ sheā€™s medicated for ADD and she immediately said, ā€œthis is like when Iā€™m being distracted by obtrusive things all the time I hate itā€.

It works opposite for me; objects in front of the play field, forward-motion implied by the backgrounds (Iā€™ll even love a game that doesnā€™t really work like Dyad because of this tunnel effect). I think itā€™s the first game Iā€™ve seen that uses substantial dimming and brightening of the play field, forcing my eyes to focus away from play and kicking me into glazed defocus. Neat!

Thereā€™s a ā€˜Mysteryā€™ mode buried in the Effects game that randomly throws game mechanics at you. Itā€™s cute, although not terribly effective at solving my biggest Tetris problem: I feel like Iā€™ve solved the game and make the same shape patterns towards Tetris clears, but still hit a speed wall and just exit. So Iā€™m not improvising like I want to be, and used to be before I hit my current plateau.

The ā€˜Zoneā€™ mechanic (player-initiated few dozen seconds of high-score time) helps me act in a self-destructive way, giving me a problem to dig out of, more effective at breaking my normal habit.

I think maybe I ought to just disable the hold rule because it makes my optimal pattern too easy.

Oh and, I finally feel like Iā€™m getting the game Lumines was pitched as. Lumines was a bit too straightforward and the rolling bar didnā€™t quite give me the musical connection, but the hold-until-beat method of this game fools me into thinking Iā€™m placing these tetriminoes to music and itā€™s just so much better.

Now where would you tie back to music in Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack? Maybe free cursor all the time but the field waits for a beat to update lock in, and runs chain effects on half-, quarter-, maybe eighth-beats? At one point I was making a music-synced tennis game and found eighth to be just a bit too often to feel musical instead of convenient.

2 Likes