Games You Played Today Classic Mini

The trick with any character creator, I’ve found, is to stab at it until the character is extremely Uncanny Valley, then hit the randomizer 45 times until something somewhat passable appears.

And also pick the worst class.

I never finished Dark Souls.

2 Likes

Nope, but close enough for me to notice

Someone at Konami (or whoever Konami contracted) was tasked with adding rumble to Symphony and, y’all. They fuckin’ went to town.

Landing from a jump? Rumble. The lightning in the sky when you first meet Death? Rumble. Those owls that fly by? Rumble. You hit a skeleton? That skeleton hits you? You push a block across the ground? Break a crumbling wall? Y’know it.

The loss of the old dub is a shame, but contrary to what I’d read before, you can definitely switch it to Japanese and hear Norio Wakamoto ham it up as Dracula, so that’s a plus.

That stuff aside, there’s some weird hitches in save rooms, where the sound effects are all wrong. Oddly enough the old CD loading rooms hiccup a lot, too.

8 Likes

My favorite BB chracter was still just the leathery as fuck grandma I made. Grandma took no shits from anyone.

2 Likes

So this Thronebreaker game is good I think. It’s very pretty. The voice acting is really good. The writing is just stilted enough to give you True Medieval Flavor. The progression mechanics are light and a fun pacing break. The card game is not too hard for a dummy like me and keeps mixing itself up with special rules that emphasize the nature of whatever plot point is happening. And the choices ‘n’ consequences are traditional Witcher both options are bad, which is always fun.

You know it almost feels a tiny bit like King of Dragon Pass, the way you manage the plot through little regular textbox prompts. It’s like 10% KoDP, 30% Witcher and 60% well-animated card game. Two big thumbs up from me.

2 Likes

Gurumin is a fantastic game for small children maybe?? All the cutscenes are definitely aimmed at small children who don’t understand anything and don’t mind if nothing happens in a slow way.

It is charming and it looks great in a Dreamcast way.

I guess it is okay I bought when falcom games were first coming to steam in 2014? 5?

Like a lot of Falcom at the time, it looked marvelous on a PSP, but that doesn’t always mean it looks good on a PC.

how am i meant to hit the analogue stick notes on xonic ps4?

You’re in luck, because there is, and you’re out of luck, because you’re absolutely right

Well that and seemingly everyone I ever played at it was some kind of mathematical genius who could actually plan shit out like 8 moves ahead

NANTUCKET’s crew recruitment screen has a blue whale as a bit of flair. No way blue whales were on the mind of any whaler setting out from Nantucket in 1820. They’re too fast and too powerful to be hunted from wooden boats under oar! By the time the Norwegians were hunting them with bomb harpoons from steam powered boats the New England whale fisheries were already in their twilight years. They never elevated their gross whale butchery tech to the point of taking blue whales.

In conclusion this game is obviously thoughtless garbage made by imbeciles through and through.

8 Likes

I have confirmed that you hunt blue whales in this game. This is a travesty. Cannot believe this crime.

4 Likes

Castlevania update: the rumble is too much. Those skeletons in the library whose heads bounce around after they’re dead are gonna kill my controller.

Also too much: the trophies in this thing.

Edit: Ah cool cool, Konami didn’t bother remapping the controls from the PSP version. I kept slamming the triggers to try to Mist through a grate, but it looks like you gotta hit “L+R” to do it.

16 Likes

sprint vector is amazing, it’s like the most perfect late 90s full body arcade game imaginable (right down to feeling like a demented aerobics class), except it’s so complicated to play well on top of having such a niche audience in the first place I’m amazed that there are actually people who can do it competitively

I guess I had the same reaction to echo arena though that was somehow kind of dry by comparison

I had to struggle and flail like a lunatic to finish 5th on the first track after 20 minutes of tutorials

it’s easily one of the best VR games I’ve played (which would put it in like the top three of ten?)

1 Like

one thing I have realized is that I don’t really care about VR games that don’t involve scrambling around your living room floor like an idiot because, like, in sensory terms completely exhausting no matter what so I’m not going to want to plug away at anything casually once I’m all wired up

also the guy they got to narrate the tutorials sounds exactly like Mr. Peanutbutter

1 Like

I got the normal ending on Demon’s Crest, that game is good, short, and sweet. More games should be that bold in their brevity. I don’t think I’ll go for the better or best endings though. Listen to the podcast for more of my opinions! And also everyone else’s!

On the other end of the scale, I’ve picked up Fantasy Life which has no problem wasting my time on inane cutscenes and fetch quests…but I love it.

5 Likes

Fantasy Life has adorable characters (antagonists still more so!) so I never felt put out watching them play act for a while.

1 Like

Finally got around to Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon what with Halloween coming. Definitely hits some of those classic CV notes just right, though some of the enemies, particularly bosses, lose a bit of readability without classic monster contexts. Like giant dragons and blood countesses work well enough but then you’ve got the lightning rainbow peacock thing and whatever that critter in the library is.

Character switching is handled nicely too, since unlike CV3 it’s fast and subweapon effects don’t go away when swapping. Alchemist dude is particularly interesting in how he can go from almost worthless to MVP depending on the situation and subweapon he’s got, that ice attack so just so damn good. Also find it kind of hilarious that to me Zangetsu is little more than a extra HP bar and occasional handy ofuda(?) dispenser despite ostensibly being the main character of the bunch, Miriam’s reach just makes her so much better as the staple character I find.

So, about an hour into Toby Fox’s new game. Not supposed to talk about it for 24 hours, but… yeah. Enjoy it so far. Especially the music, which is kind of an of-course.

Not even totally sure what name I’m supposed to use to refer to the darned thing.

Halloween… Time to play the spookiest video get ever made…
Donkey Kong Country Return

5 Likes

I played my own game today, with my mouth and vocal chords:

10 Likes