Games You Played Today Classic Mini

I hadn’t even heard that so that’s good to know.

this is what it turned out to be, I think I got it sorted now. it wasn’t the lost progress so much as not knowing what happened and if it might happen again, so I think this was just from updating recently

also I have yet to ever get a disc based emulator that’s not ps1 to load anything in retroarch and the playlist scanner only recognizes like a third of the isos. if it weren’t for other people saying otherwise I think I would of just assumed saturn and dc emulation never went anywhere and wasn’t playable. I’m pretty sure I have all the bios stuff, so I don’t even know what the deal is there.

I was proud of myself the time I got the punisher arcade game running though, since I was never able to puzzle out how the hell to get mame to do anything outside of retroarch before, I did have to hunt down some decade old forum post to figure out I needed some specific file that wasn’t in any bios collections for some reason to get sound working though.

Higan/BSNES, which is the cycle-accurate SNES emulator whose cores are in RA as it is

Higan boots and runs without any fancy options and also you need a decent CPU to run it (my laptop is 2c/4t and running the BSNES core in RA means I need threaded video toggled or else I stay at 55-58 fps)

I appreciate retroarch because the dumb, niche shit it does is worth the hassle of all the other goddamn nonsense it puts you through (fuck yeah run ahead and rewind and crt-switchres, though that last one is its own special ball of hell)

3 Likes

King Colossus is cool. I’m over leveled tho

The problem with retroarch is that it’s basically two things: libretro, a multi-core emulator library, and a front-end. The front-ends are all varying types of terrible. libretro, however, is fantastic, because it standardizes how each emulator core handles things like input, sound, blitting, etc to a very high-standard in terms of clean signal chains, low-latency, etc. In many cases, using the libretro version of an emulator will be better than using the standalone version … once you’re in-game. Before that point, well, someone will crack the frontend at some point. (I’ll do it myself after I finish my stupid letterboxd-but-not-shitty-and-also-no-social-stuff project, if I have to.)

4 Likes

In conclusion, I will never emulate anything

4 Likes

I still love

for what it is

openemu is straight better and running stock mednafen these days is kind of pointless but

if you aren’t running mednafen via CLI, you’re missing out the on the purest emulation experience of a lifetime

oh I did that at bumpass because this gui couldn’t configure a j cart properly don’t you worry

has anyone made a retro indie pc game that as part of the gimmick you have to load it up as a fake rom in a nesticle/zsnes ui first? has to have happened already.

gameify the save states, etc.

2 Likes

twin peaks 2, the sequel to twin peaks: the game, is like tinkering with a recorded playthrough of the first game, and you have access to a debug room for reality that lets you move forward and backward in time, but itself exists outside of time, so it’s the only safe place to make a save state while messing with reality. your mistakes pile up while you fruitlessly attempt to modify things to achieve a perfect outcome and your left lost in world that will always feel off

4 Likes

I am the only one who “gets” retroarch and has no problems and I will be the last living human on this earth for it

(also I usually just drag and drop the game I want to play, or launch it from launchbox, which is its own can of worms)

1 Like

I have literally never heard retroarch come up in conversation in any context other than someone having trouble with it.

5 Likes

retroarch always worked for me even when it was an rgui interface only and barely emulated anything

My biggest two issues with Retroarch are that I can’t figure out how to get more than one savestate to work (#0), and screenshots are black when using the DirectX drivers (outside of like, 9, I think?), which if Google is to be believed, has been an issue since at least 2016.

you should, by no means, be using the directx driver for any core

1 Like

We should have a thread where we all list our unique problems with retroarch.

3 Likes

revelations abyss mode stages are insane. can’t even imagine how i’ll manage to get the trinity bonuses in some of the stages going forward (considering you can’t get hit even ONCE!!)

Been awesome rediscovering this after almost 20 years, got a lot of thoughts shots and video to do something with. Probably after a ng+. Yep, still very noteworthy and thick with ideas worth returning to. Every leg of Lea Monde I feel more accomplished and attuned, when I first played barely scraping by with (what trickled down like) scraps of new gear, stat increases, and spells. Small victories only.

Watching every major story beat again I’m freshly re-impressed with how well it’s done! At least relative to the psx library and alongside (or shortly after) MGS1.

It’s also had me digging up a ton of development and localization details that came more to light over time. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/vagrant-story-localization

Gotta do the same with Alundra then Xenogears, but would alllllmost jump straight to Tactics or XII…

7 Likes

I think I dislike the hub worlds in the Mega Man Zero games so much that they’re turning me off from the series entirely. :confused:

6 Likes

samurai warriors 4 has this mode where you create a character and play a wandering ronin writing about the exploits of all the warriors you meet at the behest of the local warlord but also you have personal life goals youre trying to fulfill. i pledged myself to become the greatest swordsman in the land so im wandering around getting into trouble with my best friend musashi miyamoto while shoving my nodachi thru chump ass samurai’s chests and racking up gambling debts

11 Likes