Games You Played Today Classic Mini

it drives me crazy that if you want to have an actual nice interface for selecting games you have to install a separate launcher program that interfaces with it

like… what is the point of retroarch at that point? I only installed it because of the nice crt shaders it lets me use, though I imagine I can probably still use those with a lot of standalone emulators too, with varying amounts of hassle.

1 Like

Is there a retroarch frontend that copies the ZSNES GUI so I can maximize that late-90s/early-00s emulator nostalgia?

1 Like

whatever you’re experiencing is definitely a configuration issue in terms of how retroarch is interacting with your Windows environment, and even if clockspeed were a good measure of CPU power, you still have fifty times as much as you need for a megadrive emulator, and retroarch isn’t somehow running the least efficient megadrive emulator in the world. it’s not a performance problem per se.

that’s fair. I can see how it can be a lifesaver for platforms where your only input is a controller

is a way better approach to doing this specifically for desktop environments as opposed to for everything else, but it’s macOS only and (very sadly) doesn’t support retroarch cores, so you can’t use it as a drop-in alternative frontend and still benefit from all the upstream work.

anyway, Retroarch has a WIMP interface now, and its good but its still early days for it. You don’t need to use the XMB interface anymore.

1 Like

I think it’s kind of hideous and I wish they hadn’t used Qt

but that’s non-Cocoa non-Electron GUI frameworks for you

the Switch-esque Ozone driver has also been available for a couple version, as well, iirc

1 Like

some parts of the UX are totally bonkers if you’re trying to use it without a controller on a PC for the first time, like the knots you have to twist yourself into to figure out how to set core specific options (I have to load a game then press L3+R3 simultaneously? what the hell?) are initially like “why am I doing this” so I am 100% not a retroarch desktop interface apologist, if you hate it you hate it

I gave up on using it because I couldn’t make it stop opening some cores at like 6000px wide to scale across all my monitors and when I reported this as an issue they closed my bug as “intended behaviour” because they really aren’t that interested in supporting a use case of “I’m playing this game in a window that is not a linear multiple of its original resolution, with my keyboard” which is still what emulation is to me a lot of the time and I still donate to them

it really does make wonderful sense as a cross platform project though

the real pre-play heavy config & selection UI is File Explorer

like if you gotta pick one or the other I think a 10 foot interface actually makes more sense for a program who’s only purpose is to play game pad video games it is almost noble for something that has gotten this complex

1 Like

When I first tried Retroarch a few years back it really felt like a lot more trouble than it was worth - the all-in-one frontend was too tree based and cumbersome for navigating XMB style. And that was doing it in Windows 10.

I stuck with standalone emulators a while just fine, but last Fall I redownloaded a few versions after they incorporated the Desktop GUI, spent a couple hours getting everything in order and… since then its been pretty optimal aside from when I go crazy with tweaks and accidentally save a core override that crashes it each time.

So I’m prepared and used to any file surgeon line tweezing, when I’ve overcomplicated my own setup.

1 Like

retroarch q: any advantage to ‘scanning’ all my rom dirs

or if i’m fine with just manually browsing to stuff with the load content / recent menu should i stick with that

no real benefit as far as I can tell, so long as you set your starting directory somewhere reasonable

If anything, it just causes more problems (As can be seen with some of parker’s difficulties with multi-disc games)

1 Like

I’d love to get that boxloader whazzitcalled setup for loading PCSX2 isos with entirely separate configurations but it always starts feeling like a huge pain, 10 minutes in. Should probably sit down with Murderous Intent and do the damn thing. But I kinda hate having too many loader type programs around, like my key platforms/apps to be few.

I just use Spectabis for pcsx2

1 Like

Seems simple and clean, will try tonight

simple and clean is the way that you’re making me try tonight

it’s hard to let it go

4 Likes

Well, one way or another, this modern newfangled fancy pantys emulator; has been worse for me at pluggin’ and playin’, than some old school emus.

re: emulator discussion, if anybody knows a good vita SNES emulator that isn’t retroarch id appreciate hearing about it