Games You Played Today Classic Mini

in the late game yes

1 Like

Yes, because when your sword is MAGICKED the effect doesnā€™t miss. So if say an enemy is weak to a status effect (like say Stone) you have a guaranteed method of applying it. Beyond that, elemental damage ignores defense when it hits a weakness and the -agas/Bio/Holy can straight up kill enemies that arenā€™t ā€œHeavyā€ (non-boss mostly). The effect stays for the entire fight making it MP cost-effective too.

1 Like

honestly when youā€™ve got chemist you can just fuckinā€™ crack the game over your knee with !mix and not really think about the job system anymore, not sure if that is a pro or con

1 Like

You just have to really think of the Mix! system instead! And memorizing what enemies/stores give you what, I guess. Anyway, you end up exchanging one complicated system for another which is pro and con.

1 Like

extremely pumped to have good old hookchamp back (and with more viewable space on the X screen!)

Played most of the first disc of Final Fantasy VIII over the weekend and Iā€™m as into it as I expected Iā€™d be. This is the first real PlayStation era RPG Iā€™ve played, and things like having the prerendered backgrounds seamlessly transition into full-motion video cut scenes are super impressive for the time. The prerendered backgrounds made me get lost in the Centra excavation site because one of the paths I needed to take looked like it was a part of the wall so I didnā€™t realize where I had to go until I decided to hug the walls around the entire building. Just got Diablos as a GF last night, so now Iā€™ll be able to run through the rest of the game with 75% less random encounters. This jam hella reminds me of PC-98 visual novels.

3 Likes

a precious gift to be savored

1 Like

true facts:

the FF8 soundtrack was the first album I ever bought

5 Likes

Yeah they really nailed the FMV transitions and FMV as backgrounds. It allowed them to really raise the sense of pace and urgency for a few types of scenes; which would otherwise have been real tough to pull off in a PSX RPG setting.

2 Likes

exactly what it says on the tin

25 Likes

Likeā€¦of any music? Awesome.

Itā€™s the first thing I ever had cd-rs burnt from. Cafeteria exchange from an acquaintance like a month out from 9/9/99. I was actually put off by how different it sounded from 6/7ā€™s music but I also canā€™t fully gauge how I was hearing things back then.

Chrono Trigger was the first ost I ever bought. FFVI second.

1 Like

Any, yeah

It was the SonMay bootleg version, but it was really well made and came in this big fancy box thing. I bought it within a few weeks of the gameā€™s Japanese release, which was several months before the US release. Also I was 15 at the time and I assume I bought it with birthday money, considering the JP release was about a month and a half before my birthday.

I listened to it constantly, knowing almost nothing about the game at all other than that it was Final Fantasy, so I wanted it. This was 1999, so pretty much the only info I had on the game was from trailers downloaded over 56k modem and articles like this. I would pore over every web and magazine article I could find, analyzing the postage-stamp-sized screenshots in EGM or whatever. And listen to that soundtrack.

Looking back on it, it seems a little weird maybe. But to this day, FF8 is in my top 5 favorite FFs, and itā€™s possible that maybe that bootleg soundtrack and the weird interval of my life between getting it and actually finally seeing the game had something to do with that.

5 Likes

With all the emotion FF7 can surge, Iā€™ve never misted up at Aerithā€™s death or the ending. Even though her theme standalone has extra poignant powerā€¦

But I relate to your story a good deal, because listening to the 8 soundtrack a few weeks before literally skipping through the mall to buy it, I had to look up info on Faye Wong over similar ancient (school) internet. Besides soaking up every bit online and playing the demo repeatedly.

This is still their best ending from that era on. 9 and 10 are masterful too, but the entire framing here, the way Balamb Garden flies over the main cast as both airship and city, the symphonic Eyes On Me, especially Laguna/Raine ;_: and then the hand-cam video, so on. 10/10 height of their cinematic game.

**Yooo that article reminds me, before FF8ā€™s when I started deep combing rpgamer.com for a few years. The day a sequel to Chrono Trigger was announced, many backflips

1 Like

no way dude bring me my dagger

Neck and neck! Best Endings: Another Story

Panel 1 Drake: Aeris dying
Panel 2 Drake: Zell finally getting his hot dogs

7 Likes

aaaaack omg

Iā€™m pretty sure all the PSX, prerendered background Square RPGs have a thing where you can press a button and little arrows show up on screen to show you all possible exits. Itā€™s usually the SELECTBUTTON I think?

1 Like

FAR: lone sails is a chill game and i like it a lot. great mix of wanting your ship to go faster and faster, doing busy-work to keep everything in order and wanting to stand idle looking at thhe landscape.

for the one hour i played, there was this afected, sickly voice talking in blurbs about german politics or whatever and i was like ā€œman this narration is so lame lmao, they really pulled a jonathan blow on this oneā€. only after i turned the game off i realized i had left an interview with phil collins (the filmmaker, not the musician) playing hahahah

8 Likes

I think I heard on a podcast that that was just in FF7 but not 8 or 9? Iā€™ll try it next time I play though.

I remember thereā€™s a moment in FF8 where youā€™re in a big battle and youā€™re hanging on a rope punching some dude but the background is all pre-rendered CG of better modeled people doing the same thing and it was so cool.

8 Likes