Games You Played Today Classic Mini

I rarely do and that was an exception in my case!

also, being totally honest, I don’t think I’d distinguish between “surface” novelty and “deep” novelty as being somehow more valuable than one another as long as the former sticks the landing and doesn’t insult me, which Nintendo stuff seldom manages. if you can carry off surface novelty in a way that still feels really rewarding and earned, more power to you.

Yeah, I don’t mean to preference one over the other except in my personal taste. Novelty is very well suited to the rhythms of a platformer or level-segregated shooter campaign, for instance.

In the last third of final fantasy V. I like it a lot more now. my last playthrough I quit at the exdeath fight and missed the pretty cool thing they do right afterwards. glad I stuck with it this time. the battle mechanics are really satisfying.

1 Like

but what the hell kind of name is krile

1 Like

her name in Japanese is “Kururu”

I think the localizer/s just sorta looked at that and shrugged and just did what they could

1 Like

they were also never, in all their years of retranslating Final Fantasy IV, able to produce “Lydia,” so grain of salt I think

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen her as Kara before, most of the FFV names in my head are from the '98 patch

3 Likes

cara is only in the original fan translation I think

mistranslation or not rydia is actually a cool name and works with the setting

krile is just like… that’s like a medium level monster name or something

relatedly it is the most dipshit thing imaginable that all the final fantasy wikis hurriedly replace all their screenshots every time a new hideous version of the game is released as some kind of harebrained idea of how to showcase the most recent canon

2 Likes

How do they handle “Clara” in Japanese?

1 Like

thinking about the blue mage boss who can learn the self destruct enemy skill from you

want to play ffv again

15 Likes

I like that not only can he learn it, he can’t help but try it the first chance he gets

9 Likes

“Krool” would technically be a valid anglicization of that name. Just saying.

3 Likes

6 Likes

that would be an improvement imo

my beautiful granddaughter

4 Likes

i love that by the end of FFV your party is 3/4 warrior princesses

Last time i played i got the enemy skill that lets you get assloads of AP by instakilling the statues in the basement of Galuf’s castle and grinded until both Faris and Lenna were dual-wielding magic knights and could do like 8 elemental attacks per move. it completely ruled fuck dammit now i want to play the game again

3 Likes

I still have a problem that barehanded is completely broken and is more powerful than dual wielding weapons for most of the game. Like I grinded to learn dual wield as a passive skill only to find that I reliably do more damage with barehanded on any character class than using the most powerful swords/katanas available. and you have a higher chance for critical hits which do insane damage.

that is a plus in my book

2 Likes

The only downside to barehanded is you can’t use magic knight stuff without weapons.

is magic knight stuff actually any good?

I feel like any time I need elemental damage ninja scrolls are far more effective and cheaper.