Games You Played Today Classic Mini

ARM CHAMPS

5 Likes

Unless you’re telling me they made a new Armored Car?!!!

4 Likes

I ended up in the “Titanfall 2’s single player campaign was very okay” camp.

I couldn’t understand how it was so lauded. It was fine, but
 nothing terribly new or special.

1 Like

It came out on the Vita.

@Grandpa @Felix check out https://indreams.me/dream/mTAMxtXyQeb . It could use a little less leaning by the character model when turning, but I found it a pretty impressive facsimile.

Tokyo Jungle Mobile doesn’t count, especially since it’s been officially dusted.

Tokyo Jungle (2012)

9 Likes

All my potential Yakuza Kiwami thoughts have been preempted in my head due to how frickin’ weird the bug princess card battle thing is.

3 Likes

It’s an actual thing too:

1 Like

I had some vague recollection of there being a larger Mushiking
 property out there, but the part that makes the Yakuza one a step odder is how it has Dead or Alive Volleyball-esque ladies scantily dressed like bugs and cheered on by various giant bugs.

God I just had a strike of realization and this is why Kotaro Suzuki and Ricky Marvin would occasionally don masks and compete as Mushiking Terry and Joker in NOAH wrestling like fifteen some years back.

He even has the same rock paper scissors logo on his tights and mask!

He doesn’t look like a beetle at all and I am retroactively angry about it.

1 Like

You’d think at this point I knew I do not like Halo and shouldn’t play it but that didn’t stop me from playing Halo Reach and not liking it.

7 Likes

Halo multiplayer is pretty good though

14 Likes

The factory level after the sewer is incredible and it ramps up from there.

The beginning is slow, but I think they wanted to make sure you gradually got comfortable with the movement mechanics before introducing hard skill checks.

I am a big dumb cooing baby for Titanfall in some ways that are still inexplicable to me but mostly it just feels good to move. Much moreso on KB+M if that’s a missing variable.

1 Like

yeah I tend to assume most people who are not blown away by it played on console and it is just the truth on PC

I think of TF2 as good in the modern Nintendo platformer style; an understated cleverness that is always subservient to user convenience and smooth transport. It’s not interested in setting up strict skill checks or getting you to learn the as much as throwing up small novelty periodically to keep you ‘delighted’.

I found it rather pleasant but not especially necessary, but was very impressed that it got out of its way at the exact right length.

I guess my response would be “what is necessary if not that”

it’s weird this is the second or third time in recent memory I’ve been in the position of defending novelty in a goal in itself which isn’t necessarily something I believe that deeply but I think it undergirds a lot of my rhetorical positions?

I think, personally, I need to either feel like I have autonomy to explore and push against boundaries, or to feel challenged, like I need to learn the rules of the system and world. Greasing the skids doesn’t appeal to me, but I can respect it.

On novelty: self-contained rules changes, even very clever ones, read as novelty to me, and have a sugar impact. Rules changes that are felt deeply, and are deeply explored and integrated into themes, are meaningful to me.

so I take it you didn’t play the multiplayer that much? and weren’t really interested in the relationship between it and the campaign?

I think I’ve said before that I’m all in favour of single-player levels that are designed almost explicitly as a prelude to competitive play

I played it enough to look at the very interesting rule changes – the extreme auto-aim they use in single player to encourage cinematic moments is real interesting, especially as it didn’t trip anyone up.

I had a tougher time than in TF1; more deaths from unknown sources, less power swings between mech and foot. I didn’t like it as much but didn’t play long enough to tease it out.

But in general I don’t play multiplayer to have fun

I can’t imagine trying to do TF2 movements on KBM, to be honest. Like sliding would be something my hand would just not be able to do there.