Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Ok Ground Kontrol you did it. You’re my favorite arcade in Portland now. Good job.

13 Likes

I can’t lie, seeing this puzzle pop up put a big ol’ smile on my face.

3 Likes

Tried playing Flashback 25th Anniversary, having never played a version of Flashback before.

Got stuck on the third screen despite the game drowning me in tutorials.

The game drops you into an area where you get a holocube, but there just appears to be no obvious exit. Can’t go back the way you came, but the only exits are upward and the character isn’t grabbing onto any ledges.

1 Like

Man I love Flashback!

Its controls take a bit to get used to though. It’s kinda Prince of Persia-ey? As in OG PoP, not the time sands ones.

I think I remember having this same problem when I first played Flashback as a kid but I don’t remember what the solution is. Of course nowadays you can just watch a let’s play when this kind of thing happens, so these old games have gotten objectively less opaque even though they feel subjectively more so

1 Like

I got Dandara from last month’s humble (that turned out to be well worth it, lots of curiosities I was after, I get like one or two of these a year and never regret it) and after putting 20 minutes into it expecting to go “another metrovania, whatever” I’m really enjoying it

I now see why Apple was advertising it to me because it seems like it’d actually be totally sensible to play with touch controls but @Tuxedo was right, it’s quite decent

1 Like

Unless they did something weird with the controls in the new version I think you just need to make sure you are right up against the wall and hold up?

Can’t wait for y’all all to dunk of Yagami’s wallet chain in Judge Eyes.

2 Likes

Are they attached to JNCOs

1 Like

Skinny jeans and his very big wallet.

It’s the guy from Murdered: Soul Suspect all over again.

Holy shit Keyforge

1 Like

Linkle Liver Story is pretty cool, although for once I wouldn’t have minded an in-game tutorial for how to do things like weapon upgrades rather than a character telling me to ‘consult the manual’

1 Like

Link Between Worlds is still a lot of fun and very addicting, even if you’ve already stripped the game clean twice in the past

2 Likes

I bought it on iPhone and as suspected it plays twice as well this way and feels like a bonafide classic

well done humble

2 Likes

it’s kind of great

Richard Garfield’s output sure is prodigious. Is he actually designing all these games or is he a bit of an executive producer or director type for promising games with the legwork by other designers? That was definitely his role with Artifact and I wonder if he’s also been doing it with board games too now?

1 Like

Board games and card games distinguish between designer and developer. Designers do design the initial version of a game but developers then tweak and polish that design according to playtest feedback

Garfield is credited as a designer on Keyforge (and likely most other games he worked on)

Artifact may have fell short of its goals because of the differing cultures between video games and board games.

7 Likes

I’ve heard a lot about Keyforge being mediocre, which I found disappointing because I was excited about the concept. This is the first time I’ve heard positive takes on it. What makes it good? I’m interested in checking it out if it’s worthwhile.

The action economy, basically

There’s no mana or credits or anything like that in keyforge, you instead choose a single faction to play on your turn and you can only play cards, activate cards and discard cards of that faction. It sounds really strange at first but it feels so much better than any ccg where you can get screwed by your resource cards being absent from your opening hand.

5 Likes