Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about The Forgotten Sands: A Prince of Persia Midquel

1 Like

Path of Exile is all right. My witch can summon zombies and flaming skulls, and the zombies can summon wraith-like things sometimes, so Iā€™m doing less combat myself and more pointing minions in a direction.

Not a fan of in-game alerts about cosmetic item sales and other non-diegetic shit, but I guess this is the price of free-to-play. Itā€™s a comfortable Diablolike and something I might stick with for a bit.

2 Likes

Iā€™m tired as fuck but before I go to bed, I want a preview of a bigger post sometime soon, maybe tomorrow?

In the meantime I would like to state for the record hanging with @wonder_momo at one of the now two really good arcades in Portland is rad.

11 Likes

Sands of Time is one of my favorite games. Itā€™s daring, inventive, and accomplished. Fertile Ground is none of those things, but I guess I like it for the same reasons folks like latter-day Ubisoft lawnmower games. There is something weirdly satisfying about its completely artificial triangular game-world. It reminds me of when Iā€™d solve mazes as a kid by blacking out every dead-end path until only the true path remains.

1 Like

Lucky + Wild rules!

Been playing a lot Of Super Fantasy Zone on Genesis with the clicky stick. Its so good, as are all the other Fantasy Zones Iā€™ve played. But this one being 16-bit is just a little more plush. Got me a reproduction from a dude on facebook that came in a nice pink cart.

For those who have never played a fantasy Zone I highly suggest it. Its not a normal shooter. You can fly (or walk) in either direction and the screen loops. Once you defeat all the monster generators the level boss appears. Power ups and extra lives are purchased from a shop balloon that appears once or twice per level and per life and sort of bobs around until it gets bored. The game play is a lot of sudden tense interactions with no real set patterns unless you make all the same moves. About half of enemies are reactive rather than just scripted. This aspect makes repeat playing a lot more fun than usual and keeps me glued to it.

the flower bud icons along the bottom represent the remaining monster makersā€™ locations

Looking up images for this was hard as I am trying not to spoil myself on future stages.
Id really love for sega to bring back Opa-Opa and Fantasy Zone in some capacity.

8 Likes

There is nothing more exhausting in a Far Cry game than a ā€œwackyā€ character who constantly quips.

Anyway, Nana in New Dawn is miserable to bring along and isnā€™t even good at sniping enemies, but you sure get a lot of weird jokes about how sheā€™s a horny old lady with bloodlust when sheā€™s in tow.

1 Like

Reading it this way made me consider Fantasy Zone as related to western shooters with their focus on systemic play over linear scripted play, although that doesnā€™t really check out on lineage as free-form shooters had been a niche (Time Pilot, Xevious (stop autocorrecting to Devious, phone))

super fantasy zone was one of my favourites as a kid, and i still love it :smile_cat:

how much was the pink repro, and can you post a photo of it?

Yeah SoT is just super rad. Played through it several times. I like how grown up it felt (for its time, donā€™t know yet if it holds up). By Fertile Grounds you mean PoP 2008? It is structured weirdly indeed. You pick a node and itā€™s this artificial mini level. But what I like is how they use those spirit points to make you go through the level backwards (and sideways I guess). The no-death mechanic rules so far and they do tutorializing very well, especially for the combat mechanics. I liked it when I swung the sword and the game paused to let me know I was out of reach and had to block. It just breaks down everything that can happen and tells you what to do in that situation. The combat itself feels like itā€™s all one big QTE, which, letā€™s be honest, is a pretty perfect reference to original PoPā€™s rigid feel. Ubisoft did well with these games in the 2000s, all in all. They have artistic merit.

1 Like

It was like 25 shipped. Cart only. Not bad really. Ill post up when I get home.

Yeah the game reminds me a bit of Defender in style, maybe choplifter?
Time Pilot / Sinistar feels more like they are trying to build on asteroid in that you can shoot in 8 directions and there is no ground.

6 Likes

HOG FRIEND HOG FRIEND HOG FRIEND

2 Likes

Yeah it seems like Hog Friend, Dog Friend, or quiet archer friend is the way to go.

My current companion will randomly throw three sticks of dynamite in the middle of a skirmish and usually blow me, herself, or both of us up. Great stuff.

1 Like

I feel a bit bad that an actual semi-successful puzzle game in Baba is You came out and Iā€™m not gonna have the chance to get to it until after everyone else is likely done with itā€¦ but that doesnā€™t mean that Iā€™ve been playing no puzzle games at the moment.

Iā€™ll write it up in the puzzle game topic when I finish up with it (which may take a while, game is packed with content) but if anyone is a fan of the various HexCells games and their -Cells kin and would like something in the same vein let me take this moment to say that Tametsi is the truth. In fact it might end up actually being a step better than Matthew Brownā€™s oeuvre when all is said and done.

Itā€™s also hard as hell and I havenā€™t even touched any of the 60 bonus extra-hard puzzles, the one puzzle I played through last night took a good hour of my time and a lot of patience, and it was #65 out of 100 main puzzles. I know we and I generally smirk at the whole notion of ā€œgameplay per dollarā€ā€¦ but thereā€™s an absurd amount of well designed stuff inside of this $3 game.

4 Likes

I think you have to push pretty SE before someone says hog friend is nearby but I found dog friend not too far north of the main base.

Iā€™ve pretty much done the thing I did with Far Cry 5 where I drop everything and run to those two people who wander the world and tell you about missions, so luckily hog and dog friend are accounted for.

Just need to find a shitload of ethanol so I can unlock the next tier of guns, since the enemies Iā€™m running into are taking way too many hits to kill.

The ā€œbuy more resources with real cash!ā€ options are just, just, just out of the way enough to not be really gross and obnoxious. That said, theyā€™re pretty gross and obnoxious.

1 Like

I second this, both about Tametsi being a challenge and about it being worth recommending. Iā€™m not terribly far in, but Iā€™ve been impressed with what Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like

I finished Thimbleweed Park; very meta, didnā€™t get the platinum, not sure if Iā€™m up to replay it right away for that.

Definitely a game made for folks who grew up with adventure games, which sadly I did not.

1 Like

Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King is, rather fittingly, a very sedate game.

And by that I mean Iā€™m just politely calling it a mediocre game of the easy variety.

I should have listened to @toups warning, but it was on ~sale~

Assorted Gripes

Enemy behavior generally comes in one of two varieties: (1) lazily homing in on the player or (2) doing a random walk of some sort. Enemies that react to your movement or attack/move in interesting ways are a rarity, even in the endgame. Most enemies can be defeated in a single slash, and nearly anything that canā€™t can be one-shotted by a spin attack or a special weapon. Not a single damage source in the game does more than 1/2 a heart of damage.

These decisions arenā€™t bad in and of themselves, per se, but they are not befitting of a game that is over 70% combat by weight.

The dungeons pose no navigational challenge, and are painfully formulaic in design and structure. The typical dungeon starts with a large hub room, where only only one door is accessible. Through the door is a series of rooms that will loop back into the hub room, where you hit a switch that will open the door to the next series of rooms that will loop back into the hub room, etc. etc. Repeat a couple of times until you get a key, leading to a series of rooms that will take you to another banally structured area.

Every dungeon has multiple Dedicated Sokoban Rooms, and Dedicated Walk-On-Ever-Tile-Only-Once Rooms. (Simon Says is also a recurring ā€œpuzzleā€, but I think thereā€™s a dungeon or two that doesnā€™t have it.) Also, these puzzles occur frequently in various overworld caves and such.

With regards to the overall feel of the game, I was disappointed that walking between screens on the overworld or in dungeons always produces a fade-out. There is no scrolling between screens, which hurts the gameā€™s sense of place.

Also regarding scrolling, every area in the game (except for inside folksā€™ houses) scrolls on both axes, even though there are plenty of rooms that would have been just fine scroll on one axis (or none at all). idk why i find this so irksome, but i do.

I kinda feel bad ragging on the game so much. I mean, nothing is actually awful (except for all the Simon Says), and there are some clever ideas and some creative whimsy at work. For instance, the gameā€™s framing device is that itā€™s a story a grandpa is telling his grandkids. Occasionally, the grandkids will pipe up and offer their own silly ideas for stuff to put in the story. Sometimes both grandkids will pipe up and you get to choose which of their ideas to include. Itā€™s a charming idea that I wish was put to better use, and wish was attached to a more excellent game.

tl;dr you can kill the final boss with bees 9/10

2 Likes

i played some genesis games

replayed contra hard corps. it rules.

Contra%20-%20Hard%20Corps%20(U)%20%5B!%5D003

finished king colossus. itā€™s a neat zelda-style game.

King%20Colossus%20Tougi%20Ou%20(Eng%20Trans)002 King%20Colossus%20Tougi%20Ou%20(Eng%20Trans)005

then i won the championship in cuty suzuki no ringside angel

Cuty%20Suzuki%20no%20Ringside%20Angel%20(J)%20%5B!%5D005 Cuty%20Suzuki%20no%20Ringside%20Angel%20(J)%20%5B!%5D007

17 Likes

thereā€™s two subtitled lpā€™s for ryuu ga gotaku kenzan. one of them translates something as ā€œmen sought to cross the barrier that no man should ever cross, and commit the sin of murderā€

and the other says ā€œmen sought to test themselves against one another in battleā€

15 Likes