Games You Played Today Classic Mini

I would but it’s apparently not coming to PC until summer.

I gotta update the firmware on it (so I can play Ultracore and, I guess, to get the sound to play during the boot animation that I’ll probably disable before long), but the Mega Sg sure can play Sonic 2. Gotta dig around and find out where the hell my Genesis carts have been hiding for the last decade or so.

I will say the 8BitDo controllers feel kinda weird? Probably need to break them in. The pad and buttons both feel kinda stiff and mushy at once.

1 Like

Kinect works if I stand on my couch.

The dancing game is insane. Slave Leia takes off her collar to show you the true dance moves and then sulks off if you dance well awkwardly alone on your couch terrified you are annoying your downstairs neighbors. No Sex going on neighbors! Just…making a mon calamari look like he is jerking off.

If the game stops registering you it immediately drops everything and suddenly c3p0 starts yelling he can’t find the master while r2d2 taps the screen and I guess this is is for 3 year olds but the twi’leks are pretty sexy.

The podracing left all the waddo racism in and I guess the story is a redemption arc for waddo. If I hold my arm awkwardly to the right I can skip cutscenes so I do that.

I…have a lightsaber remote control in my closet. I guess I will hold that and see what the jedi minigame is like.

4 Likes

The brief frightening seconds this game works are incredible then it immediately goes back to swinging wildly hoping it works. There are moments where I am on a speederbike and everything fades away. Yoda is yelling in my ear to dodge and I do so and it is incandescent. Then i have to line up a shot by leaning. I don’t know if you’ve ever leaned infront of a camera mirror, but it is not an acceptable way to perform surgery. I eventually have to stand up straight. That the kinect reads as leaning to the right. I am chasing a buzz I had 5 seconds ago and the next 45 seconds are going to be me yelling at my TV as a try to perform charrades for a clown.

7 Likes

You gotta remember to yell “Lightsaber on!” and do all the movements a good half second or so after they show up on screen.

Is this the one with the Han Solo banger?

2 Likes

That is no joke the pose to pause in kinect so uhhhhh.

1 Like

You really need the original video for the full effect.

The twi’leks’ home planet is tidally locked. It didn’t used to be!

Now the entire population of the planet lives in the tiny barely-habitable ring between permanent scorching light and permanent freezing dark. It’s so overcrowded that most of them would prefer literally any other existence.

1 Like

DIABLO

I wasn’t going to re-buy this but I was sick yesterday and off my head on pseudoephedrine and thought “fuck it, gimme” so of course I was sucked back into it immediately.

I’ve got so many newer, better games why am I not playing those

Why

3 Likes

The first Diablo has a lot going for it. It’d Very pared down compared to later Roguelites. And for another, unlike it’s sequels, it is very much a child of Rogue and not necessarily just a game about making things explode into money.

So I kinda get it.

3 Likes

Here I am, playing this Far Cry game entirely to get the Boar Friend. I haven’t found the Boar Friend? Guides say to just talk to folks and eventually they will tell you about Boar Friend Mission and then you can get Boar Friend but there is no Boar Friend. This game is withholding Boar Friend. I wander post-nuclear Montana stealing Ethanol from “bandits” and nobody ever informs me of Boar Friend’s location.

I did locate Dog Friend. After you liberate Dog Friend–and Dog Friend’s dog friends–from a v. bad situation for dogs indeed Dog Friend can replace any Human Friend, all of whom talk too much and need too many helps up. You can pet Dog Friend, so that’s nice.

5 Likes

Yeah, the core gameplay loop is really vapid in Diablo 1, but everything else about it is top-notch. I tried it again also recently, and I find myself really engaged with it while at the same also thinking “what the hell am I doing with my life” as I just kite everything nonstop

The new Diablo mobile game is promising

4 Likes

I knew that cadence felt familiar

9 Likes

Diablo 1’s town theme is legit one of the best music tracks in any fantasy-themed game ever

9 Likes

Although these aspects are not as timeless but relative to the standards of the time, the color palette and the point-and-click UI design (the whole combination of menus, glowy indicators etc and how it plays together) are stellar. I just didn’t expect to experience this beauty and smoothness when I loaded this game from 1997, because in other cases old PC games are never quite as you remember them.

2 Likes

I finally found Hog Friend. He is large and bristly and a Good Boy. Bad Bandits were keeping Hog Friend in a shed, with plan to eat him, so it is only fair that Hog Friend goes Hog Wild on them, etc.

If Hog Friend makes corpses of enough Bad Bandits he can get himself up without help, because he is a very tough Boy. You can pet Hog Friend. Whenever Hog Friend knocks over the Bandit that knocked over me, I make sure to pet him after.

Every animation in this game is too long and impossible to cancel but that’s ok when the animation is petting Hog Friend.

When Hog Friend has killed one more human being he will unlock the trait “Porcine Fury.”

12 Likes

I mean, the game isn’t good.

4 Likes

Making me proud, Mia!

Did you play that Assassin’s Creed in Egypt where you can shoot a dart at a hippo to make him your friend?