Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Also enormous amounts of user generated content, particularly for Doom. As for Diablo’s goodness, it relies partly on the how the level generation goes. Once you hit the caverns shit can get messy, like my recent replay’s first run went a bit shit with hordes of magma and lightning demons just barraging me in the cavern’s wide open spaces. Had it not been for the fact the RNG also granted me several pieces of lightning damage nerfing gear before I got there I probably would have started over with the same character, though having that option is nice if you get some bullshit like that thrown at you.

Second run through caverns were mostly Hell Knights and serpents and far less annoying. But the lowest levels of Hell I think always spam those fucking annoying wizards and are jsut kind of bad IMO.

1 Like

yes

Jesus Christ how would they get all the roadworks into the tracks

Ah, half the streets are blocked off and the other half go completely the wrong direction, accurate

2 Likes

the only reason i want to go back to Diablo 3 is because they added the necromancer. I fucking loved playing a skeleton summoning idiot necromancer in D2, even though they sucked in the, uh, meta i guess

new forza highlights: 1) racing in a 1970 camaro, then taking my beat up camaro into the woods in the dark looking for dumb shit. highly entertaining. 2) jumping off a mountain in the highlands in some off road buggy thing, tumbling down the last half, then sliding to a stop on the road right at the base. lowlight: another rubberbanding showcase race. here, take some car you’ve never seen on an area you’ve never seen, and race a train that will always barely lose to you.

2 Likes

honestly, a lot of builds in 2 were mediocre until they put in the talent synergies and you could actually fashion things built around lower-tiered skills

even then, nothing matters, rush towards The One Skill and spam that shit everywhere

the original blaster master is bad, but it also rules

I played some of blaster master zero and it’s neat but too polished/easy and overwritten.

I want to make a blaster master style game that goes all in on the childhood sense of wonder vibe of the original but is actually smartly designed.

I probably never will tho!

5 Likes

Where does Blaster Master PS1 stand?

Yeah but what is your race playlist?

I feel like it’s actually better than the NES title but kind of drags halfway through. I’ve never finished it.

You can’t fuck with the subtitle “Blasting Again” tho

6 Likes

Finally got the platinum in Agents of Mayhem.

4 Likes

played a lot of victoria 2 when i was at my parents’ for the vacation.

the base game is quite contrived. only when i got the first expansion (“a house divided”) the economics and politics started clicking for me. i would’ve gotten the latest expansion but since the biggest improvements were in naval combat / colony mechanics, i’m not interested right now.

i like this game a lot. it took me a long time to realize i enjoy management sims; it’s just that for a while i only knew age of empires and that game never felt nice for any reason other than the military. there’s a therapeutic thing to setting up short, medium and long-term strategies, fix the budget, allocate resources and . . . watch the numbers go up and down and up again.

obviously, the underlining systems (and the culture of players around it) are perverse (just like real life!). the game’s logic and its setting recquire that any “competitive” player has to acquire resources from foreign land in order to secure constant increases in production up the value chain to feed the country’s basic needs. this can be done in only three ways: conquest, colonial expansion and “sphering” regions through influence (the latter which eliminate importation tarifs for products from the “sphered” countries). accumulation is a circular thing, and that you can’t, for ex, fiddle with tariffs / taxes in more specific ways or manipulate interest within certain economic activities inside the country forces you to treat the entire economy in a circular, short circuit way (just like liberals irl!!)

all of it is awful of course, and the fact the game treats these things as “agnostic” for the sake of roleplaying is gross; but then again, a game with different systems with an alternative logic would be super hard to make right (i’m excited to play 3dvision’s new game (that comes out this friday!) too see an attempt)

during the late-game of most campaigns, a certain thing happens. increases in production / investment become so large and sparse that consuming markets – i.e factories and the general population – can’t follow up, and since all industries exist for profit, they become uncapable of selling most products for a long time. i was looking at the paradox forums the other day and people had been discussing that for a while. turns out what karl marx and others predicted in the 19th century as the tendency for overproduction crisis (just like in the 1920s) is soft-coded into game’s economic system. that’s pretty interesting!

the secret reason why i like victoria 2, though, is that i can fulfifll my most obscene, perverted fantasy: fill latin-america to the brim with state-of-the-art railroads

5 Likes

When I played EU4 I would play a West Coast Native American tribe and try to violently annex all the other tribes and manifest destiny my way over to the East Coast with the idea of defeating the European colonial invasion when it inevitably arrives.

It’s extremely hard and maybe even impossible due to the severe tech penalties the game incurs upon Native Americans though.

1 Like

vicky 2 is fantastic. economy is too simplistic and that’s why there are also overproduction problems in the late game tho. unfortunately it’s the most niche game from paradox so it gets no love from them.

how is that 3dvision’s game somehow different from any city builder?

Steamworld Dig 2 is satisfying if you’re into games that have a basic loop and nothing else. Smashing stuff with a pickaxe feels real good okay??

Also the soundtrack is boss and most of it is by El Huervo aka the guy who made some music for Hotline Miami and 2

my two favorite songs (the second video has a timestamp)

I loved the first Steamworld Dig a lot. Gonna be time for another playthrough soon, I think.

Almost literally nothing in EU4 is impossible, there are streamers who have done all the most hilarious things in terms of ahistorical culture/religion matches and conquests. It’s one of the greatest things about it.

never played any of those so i can’t compare. what sparked my interest was in the premise of having to work within two different monetary systems to get prices. don’t have any idea how the implementation will work though

finally got around to playing demon of laplace. it’s fine, i guess. i was expecting more of a lovecraft vibe, but it’s really more of a 16-bit version of sweet home.

i wanted a 1920’s themed rpg where you fight cosmic horrors, but it’s all vampires and zombies and shit. the game plays well enough, but i was expecting something different than what i got.

at least they managed to capture lovecraft’s racism

8 Likes

I started looking into getting your own music in the game, but I guess you can’t? apparently in FH3 there was a specific custom raidio station you could just dump all your music into, but they took it out for FH4. maybe there’s another way, I haven’t looked around too much.

so for now because I’m a square I exclusively listen to the classical music radio station, which has like ten tracks that are constantly being interrupted by the DJ talking about 1) MY RACING EXPLOITS WOW SO IMMERSIVE and 2) how much of a square he is