Games You Played Today Classic Mini

https://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/ms-lojka-or-despair-will-be-oneself

They stop this shit after the intro

The rest of the game is pretty ok except for the writing varying wildly between fine and awful. If it was just a middle aged dude yelling at teens and trashing their stereo for 4 hours it would be good but they felt the need to surround it with this try hard shit.

3 Likes

Oh, I think itā€™s great. Itā€™s just, if you donā€™t like it now, you wonā€™t like it later, donā€™t waste your time.

3 Likes

thatā€™s not fair, I felt the same way about the opening and it really did get much better after the narrative eased off (it then got much much worse, and then a little better but the ending was still bad)

Why do you think the ending was bad?

Basically, it felt too much like a prestige tv story beat. Donā€™t get me wrong, I thought the whole ā€˜sci fi mind controlā€™ stuff was way worse and Iā€™m glad they stepped back from the precipice but the actual finale felt too dramatic nonetheless. For something that was at its best when it was slice of life walking sim, I donā€™t understand why they needed to add a dramatic narrative of hermit who accidentally killed his son spying on you.

2 Likes

I did like it enough to order my pictures, though. In typical fashion they are terrible

1 Like

Phantom Dust for Windows 10 is still Phantom Dust and thatā€™s great. Iā€™m not sure I have the heart to play it again, but letting yā€™all know Phantom Dust is good and is my friend.

10 Likes

Oh yes, I think I probably agree. I thought by ending you meant Delilah not waiting for the player, which I felt was appropriate.

Finished DQ11 and while the post game was great I would have been just as happy if not more so if I just called it quits after the second act. I really donā€™t like time travel. I totally get what they were going for in the 3rd act with it, but damn itā€¦

Started Hollow Knight, I like it. But uhhh, I will be surprised if I beat this one. It seems very large and daunting. I was kinda hoping for a 10 to 20 hour tops filler after spending a lot of time on DQ11.

2 Likes

i keep begging my friends to play it, but they wonā€™t and thatā€™s bad times.

going in i really wantes to like assassins creed origins but iā€™m getting the feeling the story will start introducing minor historical figures at any point and kiling them before i even care

itā€™s sad because in a weird way everything about origins is kind of tech ically competent and it means the game is just like painfully average

A few years ago i played through the first 6 Final Fantasies. Most of them for the first time (ive beaten IV and V a bunch). it was pretty cool.

This year ā€“ because i had a bunch of gift card money, and VIII was on sale, THIS YEAR is the year iā€™ll beat the PSX trilogy. this is the year iā€™ll get past the first disc in any of these games besides IX, which i tried to play in highschool but my used discs were scratched and stopped working at disc 3

holy shit you do so much ridiculous crap in the first couple hours of VII. i remember playing the beginning with a neighbor kid in middle school and i remember playing it with my girlfriendā€™s copy in college and i vividly remember the basic sequence of events leading up through escaping Midgar, but somehow i forgot that itā€™s all compressed to the first like 4 hours of the game and it is just nonstop bananas when you play through it in a quick gulp.

Like the opening reactor sequence is still top 10 RPG openings and iconic, and everything up to Kalm makes sense if you think about it beat-by-beat, but all the weird JRPG linking action between the beats is just comical horseshit if you think about how it fits into the story theyā€™re telling. Wall Market is particularly fuckin weird (and woof are there some ā€¦ not well-aged jokes about LGBTQ folks in there!)

i think VII will be fun but im kind of more excited to get to the other two, which ive actually played a lot more of and have always wanted to get back to and finish. i remember really liking VIII itā€™s such a weird sedate game and i found the setting legitimately cool.

edit:

11 Likes

This is a good description, I want to play it again now.

3 Likes

Rondo of Blood on PS4. I beat it the other day. What a great game!

4 Likes

Iā€™m playing 7 again now too but I really should finish DQ11 firstā€¦

I canā€™t get the remako mod (redone backgrounds) to work together with the reunion mod (redone translation) and that kinda sucks. But maybe Iā€™ll just say fuck it and play it without mods, itā€™s not like the game really needs any. Iā€™m kinda scared though because 7 is my favorite FF and I only played it once when it came out but then religiously, did everything in the game. I wouldnā€™t do that again, probably

the remako mod doesnā€™t look that great. iā€™d probably go with the redone translation if they actually went back and retranslated the script vs just cleaning up shit like ā€œthis guy are sickā€.

or just play the playstation version with the versus guide. itā€™ll feel like the old days!

1 Like

Saw some distressful stuff online tonight and decided to go play R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 to take my mind off of it. I like how most of the tracks have some defining aspect of the original Ridge Racer track in them, so they feel familiar while not being repetitive. As someone who pays too much attention to the colors of the city after dark, I find the color grading on all of the tracks superb, but especially the night ones. And it goes without saying that the music is excellent too.

Iā€™ll definitely have to revisit it, as I never really feel like I got a grip on the drifting in this one. Iā€™m also super curious how the AI works in R4, it felt very rubber-bandy to me during this play through (on Normal).

Itā€™s hard to go back to 30fps once youā€™ve had a taste of what 60fps Ridge Racer feels like by playing the Ridge Racer hi-spec disc though.

3 Likes

I made it to the final row of puzzles in TIS-100 and took a look at the first puzzle on it before going out for a walk. During said walk I pondered it and thought I came up with a pretty solid plan for it. Got home and typed up the first half of it and with a quick fix or two got it working within a few minutes. I quickly typed up the second half of it and realized I needed an extra 0 added in someplace as opposed to the two I thought would be enough. I added it in and the whole program hangs up right past the part where it comes up.

After this very productive first several minutes I spend the next hour-plus moving said zero around and no matter where I try to hide it the end result is the whole program crashing because it backs up the first half of the puzzle too much. I go as far as to scrap the entire second half, start from scratch, come up with an entire different plan that both doesnā€™t work as well and still causes the whole thing to hang.

I then had a thought. I loaded up my original design, moved one command down a spot and the whole thing worked perfectly. See, I wrote to add from the left before the right as it shouldnā€™t make a difference yet it added a single move delay that turned out to be important. If Iā€™d have just written it that way first (it was a true 50-50 proposition)ā€¦

ā€¦Puzzle games are rough some times :stampstampstamp:

6 Likes

This sounds like my job everyday