Games You Played Today Classic Mini

So long as I don’t need the subscription service I can be down for a co-op party. I can be convinced I suppose, maybe ‘try’ a free month if it’s necessary.

I haven’t moved on to the latest EDF because I’m not making money. Game purchasing has slowed to a trickle and usually indie games that are cheaper.

Just an FYI, EDF 4.1 is going for cheap in this months hunble monthly bundle. 12 bucks is a steal since it goes for full price on steam and there’s other games crammed in with it when march comes around.

1 Like

Did anyone play Below?

Did it just come and go?

It’s aesthetically perfect enough that it’s worth the 2 hours I put into it. I believe the minimalism works against the roguelike structure but I didn’t get far enough to loop it. Sound design is among the best games ever made (headphones recommended).

If Zelda-inspired roguelikes ever fall out of fashion I think this is likely to be rediscovered and championed in 5 or 10 years because it’s beautiful and great in the hand, if flawed.

I really hope Capy’s ok.

2 Likes

[whispering to date while playing Below when Capy splash screen appears] That’s Capy

do you think it’s worth playing for someone who isn’t usually interested in roguelikes? I like most of what I’ve seen but tend to get tired of run-based games really quickly.

2 Likes

If you’re ok with an unresolved 2 hours of finely distilled Zelda-like, go for it! If you go in expecting something that will sustain you or you can see through, I can’t offer personal experience but people seem to not be happy past that point.

When I’ve played it I tend to stare with my mouth open because I’m doing an extra amount of visual and auditory processing.

In a lot of ways, it’s similar to a Team Ico game: immaculate, still, composed despite all the player’s attempts to inject chaos.

1 Like

Gods, me too. :frowning:

the DC metro area is going through some freak winter weather lately

it is seventy goddamn Fahrenheit degrees outside today

instead I am here, realizing I have a computer with a bluetooth adapter, messing around with Dolphin with goddamn Sonic and the Secret Rings

it controlled bad then

it controls bad now

I’m going for a walk

7 Likes

@boojiboy7 @SageGrimm

I will probably be playing EDF 4.1 some tonight and some tomorrow night. This weekend also works.

If either of you (or anyone else) feels like playing, we can either choose a time or you can simply contact me if you happen to see me in that or another game.

Unfortunately, this game does require a Plus membership to play co-op. I believe that’s the case for every game that’s not “free to play.”

My PSN name is the same as my name here, though I am already connected to at least one of you.

apex legends is tight, its almost borderlands royale. i think its the first big BR game with maps that arent butt fucking ugly. i havent looked at cod: blackout at all though maybe that had cool sets

1 Like

Tomorrow night’s probably better for me, I’m done my classes for the week and can relax a bit. I’ll look into the free trial as I’ve never used the service.

1 Like

how dare you

2 Likes

I solo’d the whole game as wing diver. If you get stuck, grind an earlier mission on a higher difficulty

3 Likes

Tomorrow night is good for me. Boojiboy7 on PSN if we aren’t already friends.

2 Likes

I mean, the actual move to do when you get stuck is to play a super high difficulty mission with randoms online and get a weapon you shouldn’t have yet lol

4 Likes

Started playing Torment Tides of Marinara (that’s what folks here call it, right?).

It’s… interesting? I have next to no experience with this kind of game. Definitely drops you into a lofty deep end.

2 Likes

This is what I will advocate for.

Apex Legends is good. it is a smooth, well-executed and violently polished game for being a thing 99% of people didn’t know about until 5 days ago. it feels good in ways other Johnny-come-latelies to the BR genre like Blackout or Cliffy B Masterpiece Radical Heights most decidedly do/did not. it has that good Titanfall feel where the movement is light and unobtrusive (despite very much not having the wallrun) and the guns feel heavy (but not like, Bungie heavy) and the very light class/hero presence gives it a good flavor. also, to quote Zodiac Motherfucker, you do not “build a Dutch colonial” in response to being shot at. man, even the fact that they force squads isn’t bad because they actually thought about and around it and designed the game to work with three idiots not saying a goddamn word to each other.

I will keep playing, please make Titanfall 3 and give it the dumbest, loudest, video game-iest campaign possible with the money you hopefully make from AL

4 Likes

I’m optimistic because I spent far too much time* on Ace Combat Infinity with its offensive f2p model and now we have an honest to god real deal Ace Combat 7

*do not do this. Life is too short. You can relax and be free

3 Likes

NARC

another gritty reboot nobody asked for. like streetwise, this is a very stupid game but also much more problematic because it’s about drugs and shitty cops. it’s an open world game where you run around (no vehicles) city areas doing missions, but i spent a lot of time just finding people to bust to steal their drugs, and then sell the drugs back to people. also you can use the drugs yourself and they give you superpowers. if you get caught selling drugs (or sell to an undercover cop) or arrest people with no drugs or beat on random people, you lose police cred and can get busted down to a civilian eventually, but you can still bust people and get your rank back up by depositing drugs at the cop shop. one of the missions has you launching grenades all over civilian filled areas. i actually liked the systems at first, but it’s all so unreactive. like when you’re wearing actual cop clothes, people will still deal drugs right in front of you as if you’re not there. not enough going on and gets boring pretty quick. also it’s very problematic. this game was banned in australia.

SONIC MEGA COLLECTION PLUS

why wasn’t this game slammed for it’s emulation when it came out? the sound is AWFUL and frankly makes it unplayable for me. play-wise it feels off a little, too. on the plus side, it has the lock on games which for some reason later collections don’t bother with. they also have a bunch of 8 bit games, but why the GG versions and not the MS ones?? sure the gg had more colours, but these versions are so zoomed in compared to the ms versions so they are much worse to actually play. more like sonic mega collection SUX.

MOTORCROSS MANIACS 3

possible the most mid-2000s game i’ve played so far with a terrible soundtrack, casual sexism, pop punk 'tude, and over-the-top physics. the combat is clunky, there is an annoying haze over everything, and the track design is mixed with some cool ones, and some annoying ones, but it controls pretty solidly which made this pretty fun to play. it’s nothing amazing and i don’t see myself coming back to it again anytime soon, but it’s not bad.

FANTAVISION

i have wanted to play this for like 15 years, and i finally did and i like it! it’s a weird arcade game about exploding fireworks. i would have done the main mechanic differently (feels a little dry) but overall i enjoy it EXCEPT… christ, this is so hard right off the bat. needed a better difficulty curve because they dont give you a chance to actually learn how to get decent at the game, and it is very overwhelming at first. i stuck with it and really got into it, but i can see why many people bounced off it back in the day

SOME OTHER SONIC COLLECTION

this is way better because it has sonic the fighters and sonic r and sonic cd (which uses cd audio so the sound isn’t all screwed up) plus the cool GG exclusives like the tails metroidvania. purists would be iffed by some things, but for me this is a pretty solid collection with a bunch of oddities. the other one had better extra content though, too bad the rest of it SUCKED. oh also it has streets of rage and vectorman but who cares because shitty genesis emulation

WRECKLESS THE YAKUZA MISSIONS

i remember playing the xbox demo of this in stores all the time and being blown away by the graphics and it was a lot of fun and always wanted to play the full game. well this ps2 version is much less visually impressive, but it’s still a lot of fun! basically it’s crazy taxi but instead of driving people around, you do a bunch of different missions as cops or spys with a tight time limit. feels very arcade-y. like fantavision, though, the difficulty is pretty rough. i havent felt frustrated yet, but i am predicting it’s going to start being a pain in the ass soon. the game is rng heavy which doesnt help, as all the traffic is random, and having a big truck in the wrong place can just wreck your chances. STILL, i’m having a blast with it for now and have only needed to retry a mission like… five times at the most so far. also i like how goofy the story is, really nice after all the gritty bullshit ive been playing

im tired and need to SLEEP

7 Likes