Games You Played Today Classic Mini

3 Likes

itā€™s bad

this seems the most suitable possible thing

I think a lot of this comes down to it being at the very least perceived as ā€œHitman: season 2ā€ as opposed to ā€œHitman 2ā€. In an online game you can probably get away with seasons as such, for a single player one I donā€™t think there is any evidence that you wonā€™t lose a big chunk of your audience doing this.

Also to be blunt I think it would be safe to consider that while Hitman season 1 found an audience it wasnā€™t this big hit, and hence a sequel was always rather risky from a business perspective.

1 Like

kinda wish acquiring/upgrading weapons involved less running around hoovering up crates- really kills the momentum

I started playing Caves of Qud. Itā€™s really difficult. Havenā€™t gotten into a roguelike in a few years.

3 Likes

I keep doing True Kin Strength/Toughness builds and getting my ass handed to me by the red rock critters :weary:

Too afraid to try mutant builds, thereā€™s too many options

oh definitely do a mutant build, the incredible number of options was like the first thing that got me excited about the game

1 Like

Itā€™s just that Iā€™m so drawn to physical builds because Iā€™m afraid to get out of my comfort zone, so I pick like, multi arms, double heart, claws, etc

I really like playing melee but Iā€™m not sure how to make it work

Dark Half on SNES is a mostly charmless confusing slog. Its been recently translated and made the rounds with some nice screens and video showing off SNESā€™s finer lighting effects.
You play half the game (apparently) as the Big Bad whoā€™s scenario is like some nu metals kidā€™s dark self insert power fantasy.

Its not really bad enough to be fun.
The battles arenā€™t enough fun for how bad the rest of it is.

1 Like

Thanks, it sounded neat but the ten minutes I put in before falling asleep didnā€™t compel me to go further, so I as wondering if I was missing something.

What if Paladinā€™s Quest/Lennus was good? With that art? oh boy

1 Like

SUNLESS SKIES

This feels at once darker and more colorful than Sunless Seas, which is winning me over. I wanted to prefer the original, both for that gameā€™s writing staff and for its more compelling setting. (I just like the idea of an underground ocean more than Victorian not-quite-space travel.) Seems somehow important that it is both different and better.

Different: the first ~25% of the game map is a warren of narrow corridors hemmed in by huge overgrown planetoids. Between the verdant background and the implication of horrors it sorta feels like ā€œAmerican McGeeā€™s Mario Glaxyā€; space is deeper, but the looming obstacles blot out light from the sunless Reach and so the shadows are somehow more absolute than in the Unterzee. I love this claustrophobia, in part because Iā€™m sure it will not last into the other three regions. Zubmariner predicted these backgrounds: Sunless Seaā€™s water held its share of startling and horrific sights, but it was shallow and murky compared to the depths Zubmariner revealed. Those in turn were but momentary visions of the constant yawning spans ever echoing below your engine in the Skies.

Factions are immediately apparent: the Tacketies (independents) and Stovepipes (loyalists) both think little of you at first, but each insists you provide port reports to them alone and not the other. Their engines are constantly dogging one another through the High Wilderness, and you exist in their proximity at your peril. These concerns seem mundane beside the superior mysteries of the Unterzee, but even that game had its abbreviated Supremacy system and vestigial corsair quest-hooks. Plus, I was primed to dislike this storyline because it was practically all that was in the game when I played the alpha, and this turned out to be one game in which I didnā€™t want to see the sausage being made.

Better: Gunplay and UI polish are both dramatically improved. Your stats have been cut down to just Iron, Hearts, Veils, and Mirrors; your background and leveling lets you choose options to bolsters not just these four numbers, but also your affiliations (with Establishment, Villainy, Bohemia, and Academe). If this pays off the way it so often did in Fallen London, Iā€™m pretty hyped about this progression system.

Also, even though the ship is so much more responsive, this gameā€™s pretty tough. I lost my first captain before I even turned in a single port report because I pushed it too much with a damaged hull. They give you independent difficulty controls for how much aim assist you get, how fast enemy shots are, how forgiving resource consumption is, and whether you have the roguelike Legacy system to deal with. Not ready to lower any difficulties, but Iā€™m glad they gave the options.

2 Likes

iā€™ve been sort of hooked on Nintendoā€™s Dragalia Lost on iOS lately. i have no excuses or explanations other than itā€™s exceptionally adorable and has been scratching an itch. probably its main selling point is its polish and presentation.

not sure how long iā€™ll keep up with playing it, but it feels like a cute, kind of dumb Diablo? that said, its multiplayer raids are surprisingly satisfying and become actually challenging at higher levels.

1 Like

13 Likes

In my infinite curiosity I tried Sin Episodes Emmergence. Why did I do this??

I donā€™t like the source engine and it fucked up my computer in a weird way. As soon as I touched water 10 minutes in the program froze with a repeating plop noise playing. I could pull up the start menu but there was no way to put anything in front of the frozen screen so that i could close it.

Thatā€™s what I get for playing big titty shooter failed project.

5 Likes

Speakinā€™ of.

I feel like you can really tell the crowds Forza Horizon 4 and The Crew 2 wound up drawing by the custom wraps available for download.

On one hand, you have a plethora of lovingly rendered big-tity anime women, different and bespoke for each car.

On the other, youā€™ve got dozens of badly done Monster logos and an uncountable number of badly kerned ā€œ9 11 P O LI CEā€ decals, and really gotta dig for anything remotely fun.

Anyway, thereā€™s nothing I can say about The Crew 2 that this review doesnā€™t already say better.

2 Likes

I mean, that is the Forza fanbase for forever.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing this a lot, both on my own and with a friend. I realize that anyone else who might care has probably moved on to the next game in the series, but if anyone on PS4 is interested in playing online sometime, whether youā€™re new or experienced with the game, let me know.

(I almost never play video games online, but I imagine that some of the harder stages in this are not possible without a good combination of the classes.)

Hit me up if you want to try. I can dig out my copy of the game.

Iā€™ve finally been playing the translated version of the Dragon Quest Monsters remake on 3DS. I tried to do this years ago but could not get the ROM to run on my hacked 3DS.

Now I am playing it andā€¦

Hm.

Iā€™ve got a lot of words in me about it, most of them require me to do a lot of set up though.

Fuck it. Iā€™m gonna dump it in the Fuck Yeah Dragon Quest thread

edit: FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST