Games You Played Today Classic Mini

I got a PS VR today

Setup was kind of frustrating! The camera’s cord is way too short and the connector is proprietary so it can’t be extended without buying a $30 cable. :rage: I had to move my PS4 to the middle of the floor for the cable to reach

The camera’s stand is flimsy and doesn’t grip the surface it sits on and the cable is very stiff so it’s frustrating to position! :rage:

The headset is not intuitive to put on and there are so many legal warnings during the setup I thought it was just not going to tell me what I was supposed to do. It’s finicky to get dialed in too, the ridgid mount means that pretty much all the adjustments require scooting it tiny amounts on your head. This means that every time you take it off you have to carefully readjust it :rage:

But once I finally got it set up, well, I got annoyed at The Playroom for having awful controls - does anyone find swiping on the touchpad remotely enjoyable? :expressionless:

But okay AstroBot finally finished installing and that’s… Mostly fun. Very charming for sure, but I hate how it’s not possible to move back into the level. You have to crane yourself around to pretty uncomfortable positions to see behind you. The levels are pretty short, maybe I’m supposed to just replay them to get things that I passed up, but I feel like that discourages exploration. I’ll keep at it though, it is very cute and surprisingly pretty. There was an underground level with glowing mushrooms that had some lovely lighting.

Right now I’m watching my wife play the other pack in game, Moss. It’s a cute super linear 2d-ish platformer that ends up being a very poor use of VR. It feels like a 2d movie that gets 3d added in post production. The use of depth is mostly limited to annoying jumps into the camera, and then you have my favorite, pointless motion controls. Aside from being cute, it’s a bad choice for a pack-in game. Something that emphasized the sense of volume you can only get in VR or was a more immersive game would have been much better. Maybe you definitely need PS Move controllers for those and they wanted a sit down, controller-based experience to keep the cost down?

Still, the PSVR has a lot of potential. Even on my non-pro PS4 both games were very smooth and looked good. It probably has the best price/performance ratio of any VR system right now and I imagine there are way more PS4s out there than PCs powerful enough to do VR. That makes me optimistic that some cool stuff will come out (or has come out!) for it. I don’t think that it’s out of the question that the inevitable PS5 will also support it which opens up more possibilities too

I feel like a kid on the playground explaining, in excruciating boring detail, why the Jaguar is going to be the best system ever

7 Likes