Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

absolutely… also can be really really hard to hear just about any criticism about something you’ve spent so long on. and to some extent you have to take criticism with a grain of salt anyway. but to some extent it can be extremely beneficial too… but the only real way to learn is more experience.

I bought Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (CODBLOPSCW) just to try out the Dual Sense functionality, and it is very cool and also feels liable to give me some sort of repetitive stress injury. My hands kind of feel like I mowed the lawn after a session.

6 Likes

If i had to pick one i would probably give 1 the edge, for as you said being more strange and unpredictable. Some of my favorite moments in 1 were the pure thievery moments, though, I think both games are so effective at making you constantly feel the tension of being an intruder (mostly through the sound design). so a whole game more about that wasn’t unwelcome to me!

Idk it’s not as exciting as Baffords but i liked raiding that first mansion, i like the mood created by the lighting and quiet droning music.
There are a few odd surprising missions in the last 1/2 that revisit the weirder parts of Thief 1 but admittedly you only brush up against them for a moment

Good point about the map though. I liked that Garrett was shitty at drawing maps and that they were often based on secondhand or unreliable intel. It’s a little more pedestrian to just give you map that auto fills as you complete rooms lol

4 Likes

Oh and relatedly, i played through a fan mission today called Endless Rain which i downloaded 90% because that’s a really enticing title. it was lovely! it’s similar to the level Life of the Party in Thief 2, where you’re making your way through the city to a goal by short cutting through windows and over rooftops, and stopping to do some crimes along the way. It takes place on a foggy, rainy night, which gives it a nice cozy mood. i say i played through it but i couldn’t find where one last objective was hidden, so i wandered around appreciating the pretty views until i had my fill. Good first fan mission.

2 Likes

I’m loving this Thief talk. Makes me feel all warm inside with nostalgia

1 Like

This is a fair point but I have seen videos where the final section appears to function properly, which points to either some sort of issue introduced by a later update or me being cursed. I redownloaded the game to see if that would fix it and all I noticed was the the collision detection on much of it is just straight broken in a way that it wasn’t for the rest of the game or even my first attempts at this stretch so I have no idea what is going on. I lean towards curse, especially because…

…I want you all to know that literally the next game I played was a short puzzle game for the PC that had a competently put together campaign and mostly well done challenge levels, except that I walked into back to back challenge levels that were actually impossible to complete due to the dev seemingly accidentally putting spikes on blocks you need to touch. If it was a funnier story I’d give it a full write-up (funniest part: they actually didn’t draw spikes on one of the blocks but did make it so that you died if you touched the block anyways) but if you know me at all know that I am totally willing to bash my head against a puzzle until I figure out what I am missing and yes, I went through literally every conceivable path through those rooms and they are honest to god impossible as set up.

So yes, one more check in the “likely cursed” column. I’m now gonna legit take a week off from videogames (picross excluded) and go read a book instead, hopefully when I come back to them they will maybe work properly again. I swear though, if the last chapter of this book is like misprinted or something…

7 Likes

it’s very possible that an update broke things. but yeah… never rule out a curse.

1 Like

Good news folks. Turns out all I had to end our cultural nightmare was play Destiny 2.

20 Likes

I’d recommend If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler, which is basically about glitches ending every game you play before you can finish.

4 Likes

:frowning:

(I mean probably not but it’s the first thing I thought)

Hmm. Sounds like the launch titles are going a bit hard on the haptics and maybe they’ll tone it down over time

1 Like

It’s just Call of Duty whose intensity makes me wonder if any of this is strong enough for long lasting effects. Everything else is much more measured. I compared it to finishing lawnmowing but it wasn’t anywhere near that bad. Still, there was a lingering sensation afterwards. It could just be that it’s a new sensation and again, it was really cool to to have that kind of per-gun customized trigger actuation and vibrations.

For some reason the ADS trigger has a lot of resistance though. Maybe the developers thought it felt awkward to have a high-resistance trigger on one finger and a low resistance trigger on the other, but the reason people would even be interested in “putting more work” into a trigger is because the game is communicating additional information to you and providing physical feedback. And that leads to this disconnect with the ADS trigger, because I don’t understand what the additional resistance is adding to my experience. If the game were letting me customize just how much I zoom with an ADS by how far I press on the trigger, I can see how the extra resistance makes that more comfortable. But that’s not how works. It’s just making me do more work for no reason. So this is one of the possible bad implementations that could arise with this technology.

2 Likes

Piloting a plane is famously easier with force feedback on the joystick (so much that early electronic systems without feedback were blamed for crashes, and they added back artificial feedback) so I think that’s the kind of interaction that’s going to truly benefit from this

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve also been playing Sea of Thieves with buddies because it’s on game pass, and it’s sort of an incredible hang-out game. Also a very strong contender for the best water in a video game.

4 Likes

Unfortunately they don’t have any joystick feedback. The triggers are great for racing; if you’ve played a modern Forza utilizing the Xbox One’s rumble triggers, it’s a generational jump above it – both are capable of transmitting really useful information about road surface and remaining grip.

6 Likes

I think sometimes that what would really make the Wiimote/PlayStation Move style of controller work is magical force feedback such that when your sword bounces off a wall, your hand is literally pushed back.

Although I suppose that is a pipe dream that could only be physically achieved if the player is in some ridiculous magnetism chamber. Maybe neofeudal aristocrats in the year 3000 will be able to enjoy such videogames

5 Likes

You’ll bang your head against it every other day in VR development. As we track the player’s movements more accurately, we realize they are an irresistible force, bound by no physical restrictions.

Excepting those in the higher-dimensional spaces, theorized but invisible to us. Scientists call these 4-dimensional obstacles, ‘hyper-couches’.

5 Likes

replaying super metroid and idk if i would recommend this game going forward

5 Likes

oh no

finally got around to playing (and finishing) return of the obra dinn
i was absolutely enchanted by the narrative and how it unfolds
i dont want to spoil it but it’s quite a lovely game to look at and get immersed in

7 Likes