Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

Shelley and I are very slowly playing Paradise Killer. Cool vibe.

4 Likes

Sometimes I get real stupid with my game purchases. I take chances. Which is a real bad in the post unity asset flip world.

But you sometimes have hope on paying money for a game you know absolutely nothing about and the store page and trailer do nothing to help you.

Tyd wag vir Niemand has no knowledge and was kind of a Myst like in description. Psyche it’s a unity asset jump map. At least to where I got.

I think I even paid 15 bucks for this? Which is the curse price_* on Switch a console I don’t even like using.

- Thimbleweed Park, The Missing, State of Mind, Cuphead, Chasm, _*

_**- While I am listening switch purchases I regret Donut County, Elliot Quest, double dragon iv, digital Smash Bros

Posting about video games more fun then playing them in the dark trying to not wake a fussy baby.

6 Likes

I bought a bunch of like 1-2 dollar games I had in my wishlist that I don’t remember wishlisting. On a whim.

Last night I played:

SpelunKing, a casual game that has the feel of a mobile port. You dig around using match-3, pulling your perspective in the direction of each match to “explore”. It has some thinly-designed progression layer which amounts to “buy the upgrades when you can afford them” and a bunch of levels.

Instant Farmer, a puzzle game where you swap tiles to solve puzzles around watering plants. Feels like a student game. In that respect it’s a very well-designed game: it’s trim at 50 puzzles, and is entirely inoffensive in look and sound.

There’s a sort of “workhorse”-like quality to these games that I respect. They aren’t compelling to me because I crave either novelty or difficulty, but they are polished for what they are and within their budget, and there’s nothing particularly bad about them. They make me think of the games my grandma had on her computer in 1998. But I was always a Starcraft player myself.

For the price of a coke, though, totally worth it just for the feelings playing them pulls up.

6 Likes

My eyebrows raised when I saw the Afrikaans title. Now I’m curious of this studio will develop more. All the South Africans I know were either obsessed with League of Legends or PUBG so this sort of thing is a little unexpected.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I’m having difficulty processing the text in DQ11. I’m not sure if it’s the font or what. I’m also playing with the voices off. I’m reading everything two or three times over here.

I don’t know that I experienced it that severely but I did have some trouble with the text every now and again in that game. At the time I just attributed it to my terrible eyesight but I think the fairly thick outline over a serif font does create some legibility problems.

i do this too. i’m always like “maybe it will be some kind of misunderstood hidden gem”. i even have that exact game on my wishlist though i skipped over buying it many times on sale because i read the reviews and they indicated what it was. though i don’t ever try and spend more than like… 7 bucks on a thing like that.

most of the ones i regret are on the Switch and games that i paid closer to full price because i was like “oh i’ll definitely play this” but then never have like Stardew Valley or… sigh the recent Mario All-Stars Compilation.

here are a few ones i bought on sale for cheap enough but even i am like “wait why did i buy this again”:

honestly i have no idea how i found this game. i think i only purchased it because the trailer was kind of funny/meta. i thought it might be chunky in an interesting way. never played it.

i dunno man. i like rolly ball games. i have no indication that this is particularly unique or good. i think it was that this game is usually like 15 dollars which is quite high but i think it went on sale one time for 75% so i was like “it’s now or never”. still have never played it.

the last game doesn’t even seem to be available in a non-demo form anymore and when i tried to link to the Steam page on here it’s broken. it’s called “Crying Is Not Enough”. there’s this speedrunner who usually plays janky weird shooter games (his name is “peaches”) and in some passing in some interview at GDQ he rattled off a bunch of names that i’ve never heard of. i think he might have been joking. of course i ended up buying all three games (the others are called “Red Lake” and “A Dump In The Dark”). this one in particular was usually kind of expensive but then a couple years later went on sale a bunch so i was like “it’s now or never” again. i guess it really was then or never! i have never played it though.

there are many more but i’ll spare sharing all of them.

4 Likes

After way too long avoiding it because I didn’t feel far enough into the main plot, I finished the main cabaret club subplot in Yakuza Kiwami 2. What a gem. If the whole game was just getting to know these (actually well written for once? way to go, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio) ladies and play this mini game I’d have been pleased with it. Now to beat up the rest of the bad guys!

Also how fucking old is Etsuko at this point?

Can confirm that this is rolly ball game. It’s exactly fine.

This game is better but still not great? I enjoyed it for uh, 1.5 hours or something

we need to revolutionize the rolly ball genre. we need a major rolly ball-related disruption. these entries are simply not sufficient.

If we were to rank all ball rolling games by their music, I think this one would win:

One thing you don’t get in this video is the dramatic way that rendering each new stage slows down the music temporarily.

The game I played today was 13 Sentinels. I beat it at about 4 a.m.

8 Likes

lmao this is like being inside of a dying brain. i looked up some gameplay footage and this game looks like an insult to Marble Madness. i don’t want to be too mean about the C64 and what it could do in 1985 though, lol.

1 Like

When you get too close to the edge, your fragile character shatters in mere anticipation of falling. And the broken pieces spell out the word “dead.”

Confession: I have never played the real Marble Madness. But I played the above game a lot as a kid.

6 Likes

Castlevania 4 soundtrack is one of the best. I have to play that game like I’m putting on an album. From level 1, letting the text scroll intro play out beforehand.

5 Likes

The signal to noise ratio ain’t the best, I think the localization is just fine but nearly every text box seems to be 3 times longer than it should be and one of the reasons why replaying the game now has been more enjoyable than it was when I first tried it is cuz I realized I’ve just subconsciously accepted that I am not going to closely read what any of these fucking vendors or kids are saying, I can just click through and whatever sticks sticks and if anything important doesn’t register I can just get reminders from the minimap

(I also find the menus/text in 2D mode incredibly hard to follow, maybe for the reason moneygp stated? I dunno, it is not an issue for me with older menu based RPGs.)

2 Likes

cleared pmd: explorers and i’m really impressed that they smuggled a tragic gay romance into a fucking pokemon spinoff. story punches way above its weight.

lotta good 2008-era forum threads out there arguing about this lol

8 Likes

The best SNES sound tracks are Brain Lord, Super R Type, and Super Castlevania.

2 Likes

I could not agree more

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 5000 replies. Continue discussion at Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 2).