Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

i havent played a good video game in a while

4 Likes

have you tried DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu 1.5?

12 Likes

no i dont like hard shooters

It has a fun novice mode and accessibility options

dfk 1.5 is cool but cave games are like the absolute least accessible STGs imo

1 Like

i find oldstyle gradius-like stgs the hardest tbh. scorpius on x68000 almost had me in tears, it was so hard

2 Likes

thatā€™s not how you spell psikyo

4 Likes

this was the best possible response to my post thank you

1 Like

Cave games at least have hitbox indicators while Gunbird 2 and ilk have rectangular hitboxes with unreactably fast bullet patterns

3 Likes

All this talk of shooters is making me miss EinhƤnder. The PS1 game, not the jockstrap. Nobody can make me pine for the days of Little League.

Aaaaaanyway, been levelling up ye olden Necramech Sword Edition in Warframe, knockinā€™ out the dailies in Genshin Impact, and flying around and doing the odd event mission in Star Trek Online.

Also got an urge to play Dreadnought, so I spent some time poking around in its PvE TD mode. ā€œProving Groundsā€ was the name of it. Gameā€™s decent enough, but the decision early on in the open beta to switch from-

ā€œEach manufacturer has 5 ship classes with a wide variety of sub modules so not even two ships of the same class might be exactly the sameā€

-to-

ā€œEach manufacturer has a World of Tanks like progression tree with multiple module unlocks across the ship with higher tier versions of the exact same modules plus a few new ones becoming available on ship classes as tiers go upā€

-pretty much killed the game before it launched completely. Or it did for me and their player numbers by all accounts have been on a steady decline since. Nice ship designs, though, and the pew-pew and teamplay parts are pretty fun, too, though Iā€™m not much for PvP anymore. Gameā€™s balance requires pretty good coordination to work if the other team has more than two healers, so open play tended to get lopsided in a hurry.

EDIT:

Also been playing Highfleet. The interface is home-y in a way I would never have expected something Iā€™ve never used to be, though that may also be a side-effect of far too many hours studying military technology with a particular bent towards aviation and, to a much lesser degree, naval systems circa the 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s.

6 Likes

no, Psikyo games are accessible

they do it to lull you into a false sense of security

sounds like you should try GigaWing or Mars Matrix. Takumi just wants you to throw bullets back like an idiot

2 Likes

2 Likes

too busy hugging my DC copy of Gunbird 2

if only it loved me backā€¦

Gunbird 2 is why I got into shooters

Donā€™t ask for specifics though

2 Likes
8 Likes

MM presents itself as a kind of complex thing, but, in my experience, itā€™s a pretty reasonable thing to wrap your head around and the main thing you have to look out for is meter management and keeping exp up

compared to, say, Dangun Feveron (a relatively simple Cave game), which comes off as simplistic but the scoring is fucking stressful, or Guwange, which is ā€œfuck you chain the game stupidā€

4 Likes

god, which Raiden Fighters game is it where the scoring thing is you have to spend stage 1 dragging a medal around to all the other medals to create a super medal and if you donā€™t do it right, you start over? Jet?

I feel like Iā€™m getting away from whatever point I had, Iā€™m just airing grievances now

1 Like

OK but for accessibility scoring doesnā€™t matter, it matters how intuitive the game is to play. I think GigaWing is accessible, Mars Matrix less so.

Gunbird/Dragon Blaze/1945 3rd Strike are all as simple as classic shooters but have raw technical difficulty that nobody without a sack of quarters can play.

this aint Galaga, these games have endings which should be the goal for most players I think. If the latter half of a game has bullet patterns that are completely incomprehensible to new players or requires use of several shooting mechanics then Iā€™d say itā€™s not as accessible.

I think shooting games are just not an accessible genre overall. Space Invaders is accessible because itā€™s dead simple to understand and has no end goal. Deathsmiles is accessible because it lets you set the difficulty of each stage. Twin-sticks are accessible physically because they donā€™t require button presses.

Nothing can replace practice though, and gamers who are afraid of the P word arenā€™t going to like shooters anyway. Iā€™m pretty sure every modern shmup that matters has a training mode so the distinction of accessibility is kind of hard

6 Likes

Yeah, that was Jet, I have some painful memories of trying to do just that and resetting over and over when trying to uh, play for score

like these are advanced concepts youā€™re talking about lol