Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

I adore you and your brain, I just want to understand.

And yeah, I always thought Megaman 2 was the easiest (certainly the only one I’ve ever finished) so maybe it’s more talking about specific instances in the game (maybe the teleporter/breaking walls boss).

ETA: Cross-post with Broco, that makes sense. CV1 feels like it’s rife with those scenarios as well.

6 Likes

Just out of curiosity, was the streamer playing on normal or difficult? Normal mode is substantially easier than difficult, if only because doubling your damage output gives you an incredible amount of slack to work with (aside from the well-known cases like Quick Man and the Wily 4 boss). Difficult mode (the original JP difficulty) is a much more tightly designed and demanding experience (and worse for it, tbqhimo). The most emblematic difference in my mind is the blocky stacked enemies (apparently named Blocky lol), which on difficult mode explode into pieces that have to be dodged with precise positioning on the first hit, while on normal mode they just die in one hit without sending shrapnel out.

Anyhow, your point about timing windows and stuff reminded me of the boss of Area F (the burning city) in Shatterhand. It has a ton a health, you have to contend with autoscrolling hazards during the battle, and the timing window to hit it with a punch before it retaliates is incredibly small. It’s so small, in fact, that I’m 90% certain the intended strategy (judging by the power-up placement between it and the checkpoint) is to enter the fight in your time-limited invincible form and just wail on the thing (though, from my experience, a damageless fight without that is possible).

2 Likes

Looks like it was Difficult mode

Most people don’t pick that for their first playthrough (or ever for that matter) so I guess that mainly accounts for the difference of opinion after all, not all the modern framing stuff I was talking about. To be honest, I didn’t remember Mega Man 2 had difficulty modes until you mentioned it. I guess it’s analogous to the Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania 3 difference then, except regionally reversed.

(This must also explain the “Air-man ga taosenai” song. The whole getting-blown-off business was tricky in Airman but I still don’t remember being that frustrated with it as a kid.)

2 Likes

This also reminds me that on the NES there were a number of simple, popular games whose explicit premise was “we won’t give you much time to react, deal with it”, like Punch-Out, and those Western-themed dueling games (which turned into palate-cleanser minigames later).

And to draw another connection, that’s also the explicit premise of Warioware! But instead of challenging basic hand-eye coordination in a particularly demanding way, they switched up the challenge to instantly process and understand a situation

7 Likes

i feel like the worst thing in Mega Man 2 is the Wily stage boss with the walls and those nodes that shoot at you, and you have exactly enough Crash Bombs to kill it, and if you miss one, you are unable to beat it. that was a huge gatekeeper for me as a kid, but it’s one of those things that once you know it, you know it. but yeah, even on Hard/Japan difficulty, once you know the boss weaknesses/stage patterns, it’s so easy to tear through that game in a little over 30 mins.

i’d say Mega Man 5 is probably the easiest because normal enemies drop tons of 1-Ups, but Crystal Man’s stage has these icicle/diamond things in a few sections that have completely random dropping patterns which can be a gigantic pain in the ass.

consequently, in Wily Wars, i found Mega Man 1 to be really tough because they remove the pause glitch which, imo, should be considered part of the game at this point

5 Likes

I always do the wall boss by mashing pause to phase through the bullets. it at least eliminates any threat of danger so that you only have to worry about destroying the walls first

1 Like

Spent a few nights trying to get into Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix after walking away from it for like a year or more. Think I won’t be trying again. Unfortunately, that game is as bad as everyone says it is which just makes people assume this must be the case for the whole series. But I only feel more strongly in my conviction that Kingdom Hearts 1 is a bizarre and fun action RPG that’s well worth playing and fun to play. KH2 is just inferior for so many reasons.

3 Likes

The hitbox in ESP RaDe is a real nut sucker. Just a complete tomfoolery. Some of these patterns that repeatedly wipe me would be easy peasy in Daifukkastsu but here it feels like my character is wearing a ball and chain. The game is really gorgeous and fun to play, though. Cool shooting mechanics. Weird scoring system. I’d prefer regular bomb item drops over the grinding system it uses to build bomb meter.

And the bosses are sooooo long.

7 Likes

The furthest I got in ESP RaDe was a particular non-boss setup in the midgame including some really fast, targeted bullets. Since it was a hard wall for me, I created a savestate like 5 seconds before it to practice, and 30 minutes of attempts later I hadn’t made it past it even once

2 Likes

Last night I played through Tender Loving Care, an erotically charged full motion video game developed by some 7th Guest developers. It was released on CD-ROM, as a game, in 1998, but also on home video, as a movie, in 1996. I posted about it once before, in the 501 Games of All Times thread. I’m posting about it again here, in the Games You Played Today thread, where I will share a screenshot, and then my immediate reaction to that screenshot. It’ll be like a Rorschach test or something of that nature, so feel free to reply with your evaluation of my mental state. Thank you.

Tender Loving Care stars John Hurt and a bunch of nobodies. It is about a married couple who lost their child. The wife is suffering from severe PTSD and believes her daughter is still alive. The husband is an asshole but he does care enough to hire a nurse to help care for his wife, and this nurse is very hot, and willing to use sex as medicine…but also…as a weapon!!

Here’s the “game loop”:

• You explore a CG house, reading documents and listening to audio logs
  • When you’ve had your fill of exploration John Hurt will ask you some questions about mental health and, also, what kind of boning you’re into
  • You watch clips from the lamest movie to ever get a Strong Sexual Content Disclaimer on Cinemax in 199x

Oh yeah and sometimes the characters talk to you, the player, as if they know you’ve been poking around the house, and this is very weird, this isn’t really fleshed out, maybe they were trying to cash in on the success of CD-I original Voyeur? I haven’t played that yet so maybe that is wildly inaccurate. I’m sure I’ll get around to it soon though. I’m sure it’ll be just as good as this game.

Eventually you will get one of 8 or so endings and, also, learn a thing or two about yourself.

I’ll share my TLC test results at the end – I think they might surprise you!!

Mildly smutty secrets of no real value below

a man has needs

I do not think any of these answers are truly Costanza-level and that undermines my faith in this process

When your hot nurse draws a dog whose legs don’t have any joints and you have to pretend she did a good job – that’s how you know you’re “totally in simp-town”, as the kids say

let's hug it out with the shame boy

My reaction to these was “This is the only actually funny stuff in the game” and “I’d make one of those my sig but it may be too disgusting, and I have to respect my friends – both the posters, and the lurkers.”

buying some Axe thinking it might impress girls 20 years younger than you

Dude modeling the latest wares from the Evan Stone Collection.

Strange Relationship (2020 Remaster) - YouTube

火車 - YouTube

Don’t think I can explain the correlation here but maybe you can puzzle it out for me, would appreciate it.

posting this from the toilet right now

bachelor

BBD "Do Me Baby" - YouTube

I have some questions about that fourth one but I bet more people are saying it than I’d expect, they should probably listen to more New Jack Swing, maybe nudge things in a different direction

The fact that I haven’t sold a single one of those is more unbelievable than that story

There was this band called Balloon Farm, see. They had a minor hit titled “A Question of Temperature”. This makes sense.

bull nakano C-ySddsWsAAxywe

Fuck you if you DON’T

lamer

Legally required to include at least one of these jokes per post

After answering all these questions I was presented with an ending where the husband hit the nurse in the head with a hammer. This damaged her brains, and she became the husband and wife’s new baby girl. Does getting this ending say anything about me? Probably not, I bet this shit is pretty much random, maybe you should spend 4 hours playing this too and let me know what the game has to say about your mental health.

Here’s what John Hurt had to say about me:

Hmm wait maybe it isn’t that random…

Wearing a lampshade on my head as I type this.

Well they sold me, I’ll give this a shot tomorrow, can you imagine a world where I have even more energy, and stamina, and go-getter attitude? Are you ready for such a thing? I doubt it.

Anyway Tender Loving Care is the Halo 2 of erotic video games. 5.5 out of 5.

28 Likes

I don’t suppose I’ll ever finish Resident Evil 4- I’ve already restarted once (after reaching 1-2) and that last attempt at 1-1’s big setpiece was so pathetic that I may be compelled to scratch the whole idea.

5 Likes

although it’s a typically bloodless cartoony 8-bit game, elevator action ex feels a lot more violent thant it is. something about the way your character holds their gun at arm’s length when shooting a bad guy in the back of the head at point blank range

6 Likes

Does it include:
762662.SY475
?

This is essential as for a long time this was the only Blaster Master thing I knew and I almost recorded a book on tape of me reading it.

7 Likes

The M2 release is really nice for having a practice mode that lets you just do this.

1 Like

i’m not sure, but i think at least some parts of that novel are in the bmz canon

oh they definitely became later BM canon, so that doesn’t surprise me.

the worst cannon

11 Likes

I uploaded the movie a while back if anybody feels like watching it post-playing or instead of playing it. It’s basically a 2 hour Lifetime erotic “thriller”.

1 Like

Not familiar with the book, but yeah supposedly it draws from it (at least having a character named Eve).

The game even namedrops the “lightning beings” from the Genesis/PS1 games, as sequel bait for all three people who would get the reference lol.

2 Likes

It’s been a long time since Jodie’s had a slice of pizza.

1 Like