Games That I Hate And Everyone Tells Me I'm Wrong

Tekken and Virtua Fighter have always seemed ugly and crappy to me. Every time I’ve played a game from either series I’ve loathed every moment. Don’t ask me why I like Soul Calibur so much in comparison I have no idea.

DQXI so far has been delivered in really nice 2-hour long “chapters” of gameplay and story dialogue neatly interwoven, and I can’t really think of better pacing than that for its purpose

Similarly Robotron is well-paced in that it’s nonstop robo shooting so :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

PSP games being designed for 15 minute chunks.

Is it boobs?

1 Like

That’s what Dead or Alive is for

3 Likes

play Tekken 7, it’s not that different from 3 and yet it’s much better than you remember

I can’t stand the Uncharted games and their reliance on context-sensitive actions and QTEs. Rather watch paint dry than figure out what ledge the game wants me to climb.

7 Likes

Uncharted is so forgettable I forgot that it existed. Boring shooting! Boring bad platforming! Terrible writing!

God those games are bad at everything except casting Claudia Black.

2 Likes

damnit this is the first time i’ve been interested in uncharted, fuck

2 Likes

SMB3 is such a mixed bag and some of the levels Really Suck!

My hot take is that Mario Odyssey is the first time they captured the joy everyone remembers SMB3 having when they were a kid, even though SMB3 kinda stinks.

Actually that’s the same take I have about BotW (except it’s zelda) so…makes sense i guess.

3 Likes

Don’t worry Clint Uncharted is good actually

yeah but i don’t have a console that can play it anyway so

Through this lens, Odyssey’s “shake controller/system to perform action quicker” motion controls seem appropriate. Little kid me definitely felt the inadequacy of mere button presses to execute my intentions.

But I think that 3D Land better translates the fun I remember having with Mario 3 and World back then.

2 Likes

DQ8 felt beat for beat perfect up to the Dhoulmagus fight. After that is where the game felt it was being stretched to long and gaps between levels and acquiring abilities felt to long. That’s also the point where encounters start seeing more Tension debuffs making fights drag even longer. DQ8 is a game where I loved to front half but hated the back half.

2 Likes

Yeah I made it past that when I first played it and then lost interest at some point I can’t remember. It’s a shame because the game is great otherwise

I don’t think anyone here thinks so but that Dead Space 1 is brought up at all as successful at anything outside of selling copies baffles me. There are good things in it but the thunking world design as story telling and that the game is just as bad a monster closet simulator as DooM3. And bragging about looking at car crashes. Then again corpse trees so video games never learned and there must still be blood.

4 Likes

didn’t old selectbutton gush the fuck out of dead space 1?

i think it’s rather fine, particularly in the context of late 2000s gaming landscape. could cut down a chapter or two, but otherwise, fine.

1 Like

Respect Rudie since I think an aversion to that grotesquerie and constant fan-vent wallpanel popouts is fair. But yeah you’re wrong! Been almost a decade since I played 'em; happen to find it superior to RE4.

No I hate dead space 1 as much as rudie

When it came out I thought the “press a button to get a path of waypoints to follow” was the most condescending shit, and also an admission to the weakness of level design

It’s pretty damn linear and scripted, but that doesn’t mean it’s all bad. I mean there’s very tight and fresh gravity play, unique enemy designs, point and shoot more than random body parts, space culta scientologists

A strong puree of Alien(s)/Event Horizon/The Thing, excellent sound design, character of Ishimura and crew above average. Also newer super light HUD and medieval engineer stylin.

Represents one of my main media food groups if I’m honest, hate as you will this is just the first I’ve seen it regarded so.

*i just remembered that navigation button and never using it, yep hate that it exists

2 Likes