Games That I Hate And Everyone Tells Me I'm Wrong

dq is final fantasy for squares

3 Likes

THAT’S SO WRONG IT HURTS

6 Likes

‘nintendo’ immediately makes me think of 38 year old american men in cargo shorts sobbing at the zelda theme

11 Likes

DQ doesn’t suck, it’s routinely got far more emotionally impacting stories than FF and is sort of the thinking man’s JRPG series. Its pacing is just off

Final Fantasy pacing is way more egregious. One of the great pleasures of dragon quest is the immaculate pacing. I can think of very few video games as perfectly paced.

Final Fantasy expects you to care about its word-salad plots but the charm wears off after the first 3 hours in most of them.

Despite growing up on Final Fantasy games, I’ve finished way more DQ games than FF games

7 Likes

you don’t have to grind in modern dq

3 Likes

ur right u can just turn them off

7 Likes

Pretty sure V DS is the only one that actually needs grinding in the early hours

I didn’t mean “grind” grind

I meant the act of playing the game is chafing

1 Like

Well you are a thinking person and I’m not, so that explains why you can finish DQ games and I can only get through FFs :wink:

I seriously love DQ8 and tried to get through it 3 times and I got less far each and every time, it’s cursed

But either way, all JRPGs are too long, it’s ridiculous

1 Like

Dragon Quest spin-offs are uniformly better than the main line games, there I said it

3 Likes

like it seems to be under the impression that it is a meditative and rewarding activity on its own merits and it’s not, it is a compulsive one and the paper-thin storytelling does not somehow justify that

there I said it, I hate dragon quest

3 Likes

All DQs from 7 onwards are a bit too long, admittedly

There should be a law in Japan that RPGs must not exceed 30 hours

3 Likes

thread got me thinking about saga

wrong thread but i fuckin’ love kawazu

2 Likes

I actually just picked up romsaga 2 again and I’m enjoying it this time!

2 Likes

I don’t like Super Mario Bros 3

5 Likes

yeah the first couple of generations are really dry so i could see it making a shitty first impression

this is what makes it good

2 Likes

I’m not that old, thank you

someone needs to make the thread where we all finally get on the same page re: what “pacing” means and it ain’t gonna be me

4 Likes