Games That I Hate And Everyone Tells Me I'm Wrong

Not selectbro on everyone, but everyone enough where your “I actively don’t like this” is an interesting angle. These don’t have to be actually bad games, but games that just don’t work. For you. E.g.

Mortal Kombat - this is a nice soft one. I just think it’s built on being cheap and exploitative. Also the light racism thats rarely called out reminds me a lot of my Asian growing up in a suburb racism and that sucks. Can’t say I haven’t enjoyed the occasional one, and I bet the modern ones have better gameplay, but… I haven’t been back for a while.

Fez - this game made me realize I need friction. Also, I have yet to forgive him for the J games suck thing. Were there other devs involved in this?

Doom - I only ever had the shareware and I played it, but i never felt compelled to get deep into it. Something about hitscan and floatiness and other FPSes getting to me first. I feel like thisll be the first on this list to flop over to the good place, tho.

Any roguelike - please help. I feel like this should be my thing. I love dungeon crawling and weirdness. I think I don’t like the obtuse interfaces. Also, maybe related: I desperately want a Wizardry-y roguelike

Please respond with why you agree or disagree or with a list of your own. Ok thanks.

4 Likes

You could try Chunsoft’s roguelikes, like Shiren the Wanderer or any roguelikes with Mystery Dungeon in the name (Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon, etc). The interfaces and gameplay of those are a lot easier to get into than something like Caves of Qud, but you still gotta figure out what most items do on your own.

the ultimate anti-me game would be a twin-stick roguelike horror collectible card RTS sports battle royale MOBA with art graphics and a minimalist soundtrack. Then make it a yearly franchise and/or give it mobile-like game elements like gacha or energy

2 Likes

I really don’t care for Platinum games (Nier: Automata was fine) and so many people treat this like sacrilege.

3 Likes

I don’t hate Pokémon. It’s just…(trying to keep nose from looking upturned) it’ll never click with me, as the systems at their best don’t overlap with what I’d already found interesting in rpgs, by the time Red and Blue hit the states. I understand the appeal yet it never stops feeling a routine collection of regurgitated designs, bound to a soft template, in a hyper levity world that loses me super fast.

It thrives almost entirely on gumball machines primary colors broken into spectrum and youthful spirit. I like those things just not the configuration and wrapper.

5 Likes

the whole trend of indie puzzle platformers just doesn’t interest me at all. i played braid when i got it in one of the first humble bundles a million years ago and just had no fun at all. also:

yeah

my real answer though, is earthbound. oh, and i don’t hate smash, but i found it to be probably the least satisfying non-bootleg fighting game i ever played

3 Likes

Every game rules in its own special way.

2 Likes

Doom doesn’t get any better. Like most shareware games the shareware episode is the best episode. You might try Doom II sometime, some of the early levels do a better job communicating to a new player how to enjoy Doom. It also gives you a chainsaw right away if you turn around.

If you do choose to give Doom another shot I’d recommend you play it on Ultra-Violence. The first episode plays best on that setting.

@Anothergod these are all pretty understandable. Especially roguelikes which can be quite obtuse, and demand a lot from the player right out the gate. Seconding Mystery Dungeon series as a good starter unless that’s the one you dislike. Oh well.

I also think MK is pretty cheap in general. Fez I never liked. I’ve never met anybody who didn’t like DOOM, though. It’s very “gamey”. Like, a super hardcore example of a game that’s 99% lean meat.

3 Likes

I will say that the actual canon way to enjoy Doom is through fan WADs. That includes Doom 64.

1 Like

Now that you mention that I’ve also never heard of anyone who didn’t like Doom. That’s a funny thought. I mean those people must be out there but

In a similar vein I never got into pre-64 Mario games. I think that’s about as sacrilege as the Doom thing but it’s more common due to the SEGA vs Nintendo rivalry that was so hyped up.

Also Pokemon

Also Bioware, Bethesda and Bungie games of old, the 3 Bs that were ever inaccessible for me

2 Likes

I absolutely do not understand bullet witch

3 Likes

bullet witch is feminism

4 Likes

hey i’m just curious - i seem to remember the J games sucking thing being about games at that time, right? which…didn’t seem like a totally terrible opinion, because the industry was going through some weird changes and a lot of output was mediocre? i could be misremembering. but also Phil was like actively having breakdowns and sort of leaning into that with his persona, so

that said, did not really enjoy Fez.

i absolutely have zero desire to play Skyrim or anything in that series. it looks so unappealing to me.

i’m not obsessed with Smash. i like it fine, but i feel like there are so many other fighting games that feel a lot better to me. i also think the competitive play seems at odds with what Nintendo wants the game to be.

GTA/Rockstar - much like Wayforward, i have never played a Rockstar game i genuinely liked. they always feel like they’re just shy of being actually good, to me.

2 Likes

he said it in early 2012

2011 had yakuza 4, ridge racer 3d, chantelise, puyo puyo 20th anniversary, dynasty warriors gundam 3, solatorobo, king of fighters xiii, crimzon clover and eschatos

the best gta game is gta 2. the pc version used to be avialable for free from rockstar’s website, but i think they took it down a few years ago.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Demons was out for almost two years and the hype for Dark Souls was real. Bayo and Vanquish were released in prior years.

Can’t put all the blame on Phil, tho. A bunch of indie game devs on that panel also chimed in. And none of them mentioned the genius that literally changed games for the next decade.

I dunno, I get why that shit happened. If I made a billion dollars in games I’d probably dunk on more than Japanese people. But I can’t help but feel emptiness from Fez and that’s not helping my sympathy

Edit: the feels are thick in this one

2 Likes

Have you played Ninja Gaiden 3 (not Razor’s Edge)??

It is one of those stylish action games if they were a constant yay button.

God I want to figure out how to stream or record so I can just play Bullet Witch for two hours while explaining how much it rules.

3 Likes

I think for me it is Mass Effect. The story does nothing for me, it feels like a bunch of generic Star Trek with a Christopher Nolan filter. The I hate how the morality system is so heavily signposted in the dialogue options and Shepard’s dialogue seemed like it tried a little too hard to sound like a wise ass.
The cover mechanics were kinda finicky as well, and the effects for special commands and powers were extremely weak visually and often I couldn’t really tell if they even did anything.

2 Likes

Please do it. I use an Elgato to capture anything PS360HDMI-y, and I’m sure there are other, more affordable options. Or, like, borrow someone’s. They are getting more and more useful