Games That I Hate And Everyone Tells Me I'm Wrong

i also do not like dead space. my girlfriend loves it though, so i need to watch myself when it comes to hating it.

but as for me, morrowind. everyone says that it’s the “good” elder scrolls game, but i can not get into it at all. you walk around with all the urgency of a slug, there’s all this terrible combat where your weapons never hit anything, and there’s always a bunch of ugly people with stupid names played by the same two voice actors talking a bunch of bullshit to you like an asshole. “forsooth, traveler! the forests of uran’gytahth be yonder down the hills of yaghaha’augfhalh! now, let me explain to you the last 100 years of our nation’s geopolitical climate…” all while my pockets are full of forks and cups and a bunch of other items that have absolutely no use in the game other than “welp, here’s some shit.”

19 Likes

this is the best thing i’ve read all day

1 Like

i hope cliff racers torment your sleep for a long, long time.

one day it will click and you will see the beauty of reading pseudo-erotic lizardperson novels in a virtual world and drinking brain potions to make stronger brain potions recursively

16 Likes

What are some of them called… Argonians? Their swampy area in the southeast of Skyrim was one of the few places I genuinely enjoyed.

I’d like to try Morrowind again one day, the couple hours I spent way back showed me a glimpse of the exotic fantasy totem it’s made out to be

Link’s Awakening is really boring about halfway through, and everybody loves it

3 Likes

I don’t hate it, but I feel like I need to take every opportunity to remind people that Link’s Awakening was the first Zeld to have an extended fetch-quest with an extremely anticlimactic payoff and we need to shame it just a little bit for that

4 Likes

The rough and sluggish combat is the game incentivizing you to do what it wants, which is to break it

I love that fetch Quest
I am pretty sure it was intended to be more of a silly running gag than anything else

6 Likes

That fetch/exchange quest works because it goes on for so long and with such worthless items that it turns into a self-parody. Link’s Awakening invented the idea of Zelda having extended fetch quests according to the whims of NPCs and also took it to its logical extreme, the full circle of 1994-2016 Zelda design already present in the first one.

7 Likes

15 Likes

i think if we should shame LA for anything, it should be for introducing text prompts every time Link takes a fucking breath

12 Likes

and I could never find uran’gytahth or yaghaha’augfhalh because I’m terrible at navigation and the game is terrible at directing you

The ridiculous location names were actually a running gag among my friends so it’s great to see that we weren’t the only ones who made fun of them. My entire Morrowind experience was basically missing hits in combat and abandoning it and running around for a few hours trying to find the place I was supposed to go and never finding it. So yeah, that’s Morrowind for me

2 Likes

Dear fellow Nintendo 64 children,

Quest 64 is bad

1 Like

I think every Zelda game that isn’t 1 or 2 or Breath is really boring

3 Likes

God I want to defend Morrowind so bad right now, but I’ll abstain. I am curious how many people who dislike it have only played it on xbox though.

1 Like

it’s great on xbox though!

that’s the thing people often don’t get about elder scrolls, it consoleified totally successfully before oblivion shit itself up

the mouse UI has always felt worse to me

1 Like

Yeah, the only downside of the Xbox version was the load times. Otherwise, it was great times.

they even let you get all the later patches by just loading your save with a GOTY edition disc which would’ve maybe felt like a ripoff if the game was expensive but I remember tons and tons of cheap copies of it everywhere

Oh man, I love the mouse UI! One of the best things about Morrowind compared to the later games. In fairness, I’ve never played the xbox version. I just assumed that its interface was similar to the later games.

I also wonder if using a gamepad leads to different expectations with regard to the kineticism of the combat. I’m personally used to mouse controls in old PC rpgs being at a higher level of abstraction.