Games That I Hate And Everyone Tells Me I'm Wrong

The power of mediocrity is something that never fails to surprise me

2 Likes

I used to not get rhythm/music games until I got into one and realized they are about the masochistic pleasure of trying to chase after perfection by way of being handed a piece of sheet music where the notes appear and disappear on the paper and being told by a nice, beautiful person to play that music on an instrument you have never touched and every time you fuck up a note they yell at you but you so desperately want to get it right for them because they are just, the best

it’s all very healthy

3 Likes

I hated Sausage Roll fight me

I just disdained it and never bothered playing it at all

Strong urge to make the sister thread of this thread rn

5 Likes

please do

I have never been able to get into traditional fightmans because my brain can’t process any input more complicated than a quarter-circle forward (I tell myself this excuse often).

1 Like

yeah do it it’s probably more fun

Banjo Kazooie

I don’t get it. It’s SM64 but bad and with an all-polka soundtrack

5 Likes

Yeah it’s unfortunate, a very well conceptualized MEGA megaten post-Nocturne confined/resigned to such a small box.

Really the scope of SJ done up as a military sci-fi excursion gone mad and abstract, with then gen tech on PS3/360 could’ve been pretty amazing. And making just a few small concessions to 3rd person shooters, ATLUS might’ve had a different huge hit.

1 Like

you say that like it’s a bad thing

it’s happy music for happy people

1 Like

I would love to see a legit Action RPG take on SMT

3 Likes

actually i just looked up some episodes of the Big Joe Polka Show and I’m remembering that Polka is Miserable Music for Tortured People. I forgot how much I hate polka. Fuck

3 Likes

I have no issues with Rare’s N64 output from an aesthetic or mechanical standpoint, but rather hate their insistence that the games have to be done 100% in order to actually beat them (BK is effectively a 97% run to get to the end, Jet Force Gemini is a 100% run). which, I get it, you came from the scary land of Euro microcomputers, gotta stretch every pound, but part of what makes the 3D Marios work is that instead of tasking you, they entice you

also actually I hate Diddy Kong Racing

5 Likes

I think I’m more bummed-out that I simply cannot extract joy from the likes of Contra 3 & GH, but if anything the slowdown present in the first two Slugs feels more of an happy accident that gives it character rather than the product of bad coding. I don’t know; maybe I just appreciate the irony of a game called Metal Slug that we can all collectively describe as ‘sluggish’!

Without wanting to hurt the point of this thread further, does intense Love/Hate Relationships count?

Because Ninja Gaiden Black…

PREACH

Sounds like you haven’t read most Heinlein novels

3 Likes

It’s trivial to identify games I hate that like “gamers” love but I dunno that I hate anything that gets generally good marks in the sbverse

Oh, I found out/remembered recently that I don’t like Katamari Damacy very much. I mean I don’t hate it though that’s stupid.

I don’t hate the game itself per se, but I hate it when people hold up the original Pitfall as the be-all and end-all of second generation vidcons, ignoring the rest of that generation’s output. Sure, it has one (1) thing that most of it’s contemporaries lacked (scope (256 screens!)) and it looks pretty, but the result comes across more as a jack-of-all-trades rather than being greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts.

1 Like

smash is disgusting and i was utterly miserable playing ff15

didn’t get botw either but ‘hate’ would be much too strong there

1 Like