Games That I Hate And Everyone Tells Me I'm Wrong

braveheart_freedom.gif

I do think 3 just looks and feels like garbage even though its popularity is obviously understandable in an ocarina of time kind of way, and vice city and san andreas are both significantly improved in that regard to the point where they can be thought of as, basically, the good version of that game. I still don’t think they’re better than B games though and the writing is very early aughts at best.

4 theoretically had a lot more going for it (the immigrant story, the commitment to a fully rendered NYC with then-modern graphics) but I’d lost interest by then as other developers had started to make much more interesting open world games with better movement and so on, and 5 didn’t even register for me.

Red Dead 1 has pretty mediocre pacing and the games should be worse without the crazy modern sandbox of toys and cop shit but it was mostly better in every way (I even remember the actual shooting as being decent here and total shit in the others and I don’t think the difference could be that significant in practice) and I think rockstar has pretty much been out to sea since

Expanding, simulationist player agency was barely explored in the console space, and the magical new streaming tech unlocked the fidelity in a heart-stopping way

Minecraft and the way it’s played is a more apt comparison the more I think about it

I think what I’m saying is that it was only ever the motorbikes that made them good and a horse is the same shape as a motorbike

4 Likes

not at all, it’s Ragdoll Kung Fu as a $300m bonanza

Rockstar teaches us bones are fragile and liable to betray us at any moment

I mean GTA-PS2 yeah. AssCre is definitely the Yo-Ge that everyone played and took lessons from for the past 10 years.

still waiting for a sequel to Assassin’s Creed.

1 Like

Let us link arms and stand tall as this tank rolls over us

2 Likes

If we’re talking about “hate” I’d probably have to go with Smash games. They are like a videogame form of passive-aggressive hate crimes. Like why does this exist and why do people gobble it up, platform brawlers were a mistake and the corporateness of it all is disgusting

Halo 2’s “story” was the funniest attempt at that I had ever seen at the time of its release. It has since become a norm in videogame to have these sort of anti-stories and they’re taken seriously by people. Again, baffling.

I sort of lowkey hate most of videogames but there aren’t many games I’m invested in enough to actively hate. Most games are just a minor annoyance. I feel like it’s easier to hate movies because they play themselves and shout their opinions at you if you want them or not whereas videogames need you to be complicit in their crimes. Similarly to what people said about Hotline Miami in this thread it’s why I never finished Shadow of the Colossus. The game tells you what you’re doing is wrong so I just stopped doing it. I respect that game though, no hate from me

3 Likes

It’s a lot better on PC.

GTA V has shiny cars that handle really nicely and the city is beautiful at night. It’s a joy to just drive around in it and forget that the rest of the game exists.

Vice City was also a good driving around at night simulator for the time.

Everything else about GTA sucks

1 Like

i like how moody it is. just depressing urban wasteland.

i’m trying to think of games i actually hate and don’t just find to be mediocre or boring

i guess i might hate Bravely Default. the way that game ends is one of worst experiences i’ve ever had playing a game. i don’t care what mental gymnastics they go through story wise to justify having the player replay the same exact thing four times in a row; that’s a shitty thing to do to people.

and i still got duped into buying Octopath, cuz, you know, dumb.

edit: but no one i know “tells me i’m wrong.” idk, this topic is hard for me. i make a point of spending as little time as possible with people i don’t like lol.

5 Likes

When I was in the stg community (I guess I’m still kinda in it) my hottest take was that Ikaruga is a not fun puzzle game and not an actual stg game. I respect it but I would rather play pretty much anything else over it.

Pretty much every fighting game made by Arc System works is not my bag. I guess I prefer my fighting games dumber.

Binfinite is the only popular game i can think of that i actively hate, to the point of hate-playing through most of it just so i could bag on it with precision. It’s a trashy, boring shooting game gussied up with nice production values. The plot genuinely offends me; it’s disgusting self-absorbed nihilism that uses extremely loaded real-world imagery as window dressing, when it’s not using it to make a gobsmackingly misguided point about “both sides do it”.
Like Binfinite’s story is literally that dril tweet

it’s a horrible game yet people lost their minds over it because it did some hacky multiverse shit and ended on a downbeat grandfather paradox

The only good about it are those old-timey covers of 80s pop songs are kinda fun

5 Likes

Binf is the truly the best mainstream game released about wanting to save and fuck your daughter

3 Likes

this is a part of libertarianism i was not aware of

1 Like

I am literally going through this thread hitting blood potions and thinking about how many times I was duped by Mario Kart

3 Likes

Someone else mention hate playing Skyrim recently? Kind of how my December '11 turned out. Ridiculous that after about 60 weary hrs I committed to the long haul for Platinum, just so I could thoroughly skewer it afterwards. PS3 clunk and all. It me back then: “Souls was superior” murmur folk.

1 Like

Oh yeah, thinking about it i also break pretty hard w/ my IRL game-playing friends love of Skyrim and Fallout 3. i used to like those games and played them with my friends together! theyre how i got into those respective series! but they’ve nothing but diminishing returns. Playing Morrowind and Fallout 1+2 really put in perspective how deficient nu-Bethesda is at writing and worldbuilding.

i think Skyrim is sincerely one of the most overrated games of all time, it’s mind-boggling just how poorly designed the GAME part of that game is (what the fuck is up with that leveling system and its dozens of worthless perks). people love it because of how much STUFF there is in it apparently without caring about the actual average quality of the stuff.

3 Likes