Games That I Hate And Everyone Tells Me I'm Wrong

Oh games I hate? Devil May Cry 1.

2 Likes

I know

I know the thread has moved on, and so I’m a little hesitant to bring Phil Fish back up again since he has a way of consuming the conversation, but I have to credit this video about him for making me reevaluate my uninformed opinion.

I’ll hate some games after I get off work, maybe?

I used to hate Earthbound and Mother 3, I used to hate Fire Emblem, I used to hate Mario 3, but now I know I just hate the majority of the fans.
Fuck EverGrace tho.

2 Likes

:crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

I think the closest to actual hate for me is Bioshock Infinite? Literally nothing in that game works and the fact it is held up as some kind of legit masterwork of artistic genius baffles and frustrates me.

I never really got Halo either, but I’ve never really put much time into it besides multiplayer matches at a friend’s place. Recently a friend said something like “Halo is truly the Star Wars of our time” and I had to restrain myself from responding.

Took me a year to complete Nu Doom, something about the game is just really uninviting for me. Like while playing it I can see why everyone loves it so much, but I have to more or less force myself to put the disc in to even get to that point. The idea of playing it is super unappealing to me, but the actual experience is the opposite

2 Likes

it just took it too far…

oh yeah, I’ve talked about my fifty pages of hate-notes I took while playing through BioShock Infinite. Yeah, that was the most compelling hatred I’ve ever felt for a game, I couldn’t stop playing it because I burned with fury

also hi I’m the BioShock 1 defender here

5 Likes

This is me playing Fallout 3 and Skyrim

6 Likes

Hey the first step of hating games is hating the games you love

2 Likes

I’ve not ever seen a single soul defend BINF as it exists in a final, released retail product and having played it, that fact does not shock me in the least

now Bioshock 2, that’s a good game

that I like

therefore it is bad

are you following

I could never get into Metal Slug. From my experience, the over-animation made everything feel sluggish. The movement had neither the flow of Contra nor the dynamism of Gunstar. Never felt compelled to play more than a couple levels honestly.

still, I don’t hate it and I’m willing to reconsider, especially since I haven’t touched the games over half a decade at least.

3 Likes

The one thing that will turn me against a 3d game quicker than anything else is a poor camera, so I’ve never given any of the new Ninja Gaiden games a shot as their reputation precedes them.

1 Like

It absolutely did not work it was a miserably terrible metroid

I do not like Metroid Prime’s controls. For me it’s not the tank controls, it’s the lock on. Goddamn. That. Lockon.

3 Likes

Some confounding factors there might be that the engine is actually laggy in Metal Slug 2 and everything has too much health in Metal Slug 3. So they both feel sluggish for reasons that have nothing to do with the animations. Strictly speaking, the animations are all interruptible and the controls are responsive at 60fps, so I never perceived it as fundamentally sluggish myself.

I always recommend Metal Slug X myself, as it avoids the pitfalls of the others.

4 Likes

I mean, you’re not wrong. I mainly mean spatially-speaking, with how different rooms connect together and fiddly passages and whatnot.

Previous attempts at this sort of thing got us sorry wet plops like Metroid Prime and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.

Basically, it itself was not a good 3D metroid, but it better than all previous attempts was most successful in casting the shadow of a hypothetical good 3D Metroid on the wall of the cave.

1 Like

every rockstar game other than bully has just been violently boring to me, mostly including both red deads, but i don’t think that’s that weird around here probably

ok here’s one: while some of them have their charms, i don’t think i’ve ever really gotten much from any of the igavanias, symphony included (maybe harmony not included)

4 Likes

GTA. GTA III is a straight up bad game, I cannot fathom how it got such a positive response. Jet Force Gemini has better shooting control! Jet Force goddamn Gemini!

The driving physics are fucked, the writing is atrocious, and it manages to be sleazy and offensive without the barest trace of aethetic.

GTA 4 was barely functional but was still a slog. But now it’s a godawful prestige TV show too!

God I do not understand the appeal of these games at all.

6 Likes

Don’t forget that not only was it popular here, GTA is also one of the only Western games to become a hit in Japan.

1 Like