2 Likes
5 Likes

5 Likes

How to go unapologetically h.a.m. on an 8-bit sound chip

Parallax (C64, 1986)

Galway credited Jean-Michel Jarre’s Rendez-Vous as his inspiration:

4 Likes
1 Like

Eh. Started watching this and I’m pretty sure I agree with where the thesis is going (note to all persuasive essayists, please state your thesis at the beginning thanks) but this is such dry flavorless academicspeak it’s a poster child for the “why the hell is this a video and not just a written essay” position

4 Likes

yeah, I sat through the whole thing, and I feel like it was going to be a Secret Base like video with a lot of interesting facts and storytelling, but it was just way way too dry

1 Like

what’s it about so I can figure out if it’s worth to click or not

will it be relevant to a ffxiv brain

1 Like

it goes into WoW’s deep meta, such as the add ons that people created to do raids, which led to raids being more complicated because they assumed that all players would have them installed, which has led to few “socially proper” ways to play the game.

they do state the thesis but it’s about an hour in, and that is “players have made the game ugly” and they use this particular raid as the example

There’s a bunch of energy beams that are in random directions, and there’s arrows in the game world pointing to where they will be, but there’s an add on that everyone doing the raid must install, and it’s arguably less clear about what the directions of the energy beams are based on the user interface.

2 Likes

the bites of bois’ presentation gimmicks really annoyed me here

1 Like

Relevant for sure, but I think not particularly interesting to an sb brain, which I think either has most of this stuff down pat or doesn’t give a shit about mmos.

Very broadly stated what it’s saying is “when you have thousands of humans playing a game the actual game isn’t just the thing programmed by the workers of the corporation that sells and maintains the game”, which is like, duh. This insight is only interesting when narratively applied to particulars (what particular shape does this specific game take, what are some good human interest stories that reflect or define the contours of this shape) but this video has way too many boring minutes of blah blah between any of the theoretically good bits, which are themselves delivered drily.

4 Likes

only insofar as “holy shit ffxiv is nothing like this fucked”

2 Likes

It’s the same thing lol

Shit, in my local video game community, only the best player use GameFAQs, I even downloaded an offline version on my NAS.

6 Likes
3 Likes

My local arcade/bar has Forgotten Worlds and those spinners are so satisfying!

4 Likes

hope someday I will meet up this machine in my local bar!

this game is awful on a Mega Drive port, have to use two normal button for rotating the gun. After I watched the arcade video, fully clear.

4 Likes

TODD TUCKEYS CHANNEL IS SO GOOD IF YOU LIKE OLD ARCADE MACHINES HE TAKES THEM APART AND TALKS ABOUT EVERY PART even avgn is a fan and was on one of his videos. i wanna visit his arcade so bad if i am ever in that area

i just watched this one of a restored jet rocket and laughed so hard his carnie ass says THE ILLUSION

living is good good good

4 Likes

it’s also a rosetta stone for why MMO celebrities are masochistic optimizers. how many of D2’s issues are traceable to warcraft as a model for developer and consumer?

4 Likes