Future-Dots Games

If I say Space Mouse 2 enough times, it starts to lose meaning. Space Mouse 2. What is Space? What is Mouse? These are letters strung together. Space Mouse 2. If you assign a point value to an object, that object becomes a game mechanic. If you put a bunch of game mechanics together, you get Space Mouse 2.

In 1981, Geimu Kyoujin’s masterpiece “Space Mouse” was released. 39 years later, a sequel has arrived. In “Space Mouse 2”, you’ll enter a perilous underground labyrinth. This is a roguelike dot-eater designed to appeal to players of all skill levels.

28 Likes

What’s the game that was the Future of Eat Dots?

1 Like

that would be Alien Field 3671, also known as Alien Field, another Mindware title.

The aliens are on the warpath in this Rogue-like Dot Eater!

In Alien Field 3671, Up to two players will face endless waves of extra-terrestial evil!

*Alien Field 3671
This is the ultimate evolution of the Microcomputer classic.
Instead of a “lives” system like in the original, players have to contend with a time limit.
There are numerous items to collect that will increase score and add time. Bombs can also be found and detonated, laying waste to scores of enemies.
Four composers have participated in this version.
-Swedish electronic group Ibojima
-Micom Basic Magazine Sound Writer Hideki Awata
-Junko Ozawa, composer for many classic Namco games like Gaplus, The Tower of Druaga, and Dig Dug 2.
-Last but not least, there’s Wing *, who has contributed to previous Mindware releases like Heiankyo Alien 3671 and Space Mouse: 35th Anniversary.

*Alien Field Arrange Version
The original game has been slightly revamped with new features and a more accessible level of difficulty.
The BGM uses the equivalent of a PCG-8100 sound source, for a very authentic experience.

*Alien Field
Back in May of 1981, Alien Field was published in the first issue of BASIC magazine. This is a port of the PC-8001 original.

12 Likes

My goodness, I think I want to play Space Mouse 2.

2 Likes

I played Cosmic Snake 8473/3671 for the first time earlier this week. I initially tried the “one life” mode. I found it a little slow (even with the speed turned up) and not terribly compelling. But then I tried the “five minutes” mode and it was complete chaos (in a good way).

After I played that, I chose the demo option from the menu to see what that was. It showed an even more intense version of the five minute mode. I didn’t expect to watch the full five minutes but it was mesmerizing.

6 Likes

you said it, jack

5 Likes

Perhaps worth noting that right now it is cheaper to get both Space Mouse games than just the second one. So you get the first game free and also save about 1 USD more than the sale price on the second game alone.

Edit: The first Space Mouse game has great music. Have not yet tried the second one.

3 Likes

Space Mouse 2 looks sick as hell, and 68030 being the default high score is real cute.

2 Likes

Scene 5 in Space Mouse 1 is tough. This is as far as I’ve been able to make it.

One thing I haven’t been able to figure out is why the coins sometimes make you invulnerable to enemies and sometimes don’t. Maybe that’s just my poor sense of timing.

Edit:

5 Likes

I just got a friend request on steam

He said he made an unreleased version of Dragon Slayer for the PC-6001mkII when he worked for Falcom

26 Likes

Previews of the upcoming Alice and You game, coming in March. This one appears to be more explicitly about numbers.

7 Likes

Turns out I shook hands with the voice of Space Mouse

I was there when she won the Ice Infinity title

Bet you’re jealous

15 Likes

what a baller, I wish I owned pinball.co.jp

2 Likes

BUY HEIANKYO ALIEN TOO

5 Likes

played space mouse 2

it owns

this guy is good at making vid cons

2 Likes

I’m determined to get farther in Space Mouse 1, even though it sometimes feels like I’m becoming worse at the game.

One of my favorite things is what it sounds like to reach and sustain the highest tone by progressing quickly. It makes me think of this picture.

I can’t decide whether Stage 2 or Stage 3 has better music.

3 Likes

Okay, I finally beat Stage 5. And because Stage 6 is just the first one again (and doesn’t even seem to be any harder) I will consider this the end of the game.

5 Likes

this thread is coming dangerously close to me installing steam for the first time in a long time

3 Likes

I’m not typically “jealous” of games but I really wish I could make games like this. They’re beautiful and also the scoring systems in most of these games are absolutely wild.

3 Likes

This reminded me of this thread.

2 Likes