food, glorious food (and drink)

i haven’t

they put saltines on tables for free and look i know what you’re thinking: “tortilla chips” but no one just straight up ignores tortilla chips everyone has to force themselves to stop

2 Likes

theyre called saltines but they are very different

they dont dry out your mouth and crumble in ridiculous ways, they’re closer to those keebler club crackers but not as overwhelmingly popcorn buttery

i havent had one in a really long time so im just excited to talk about them

1 Like

i’ll give these crackers a shot if i get a chance

i’ve had a bunch of skylfakes in my day. i have skyflake/condensedmilk packets in my fridge right now, and it’s some other kind of magic. um… daphaknee is speaking the truth. they’re flavored nicely, but they never ever get heavy and idgi but yeah

1 Like

If you’re down with sweet and savory, thick 'n sweet crunchings try these or a close equivalent.

14%20PM

I destroy supplies weekly

I’ve been munching on this trail mix that’s

• pistachio
  • walnut
  • cashew
  • almond
  • golden raisin

solid mix, it even looks right, nice color palette. all raw and unroasted, which is not my preference, i like em toasty and salty but it lends it a pure vibe. I put a touch of olive oil and salt in the container and shook it up though, and now it’s a party now look who’s talking.

i eat all nut mixes with a spoon now that’s just how i live.

2 Likes

I knew you were some kind of defective

1 Like

finally dipping into some sour cherry faloodeh I got at least a year ago, still super tasty, highly recommend trying some water ice with rice noodles if you have a chance

1 Like

today for lunch i ate toast with peanut butter, a fried egg, shallots that i probably burned, vinegar that has had chili peppers steeping in it for awhile, and some thick soy sauce. i don’t really know what i was going for with that but it was neither bad to eat nor particularly good tasting. i feel like i’ve just peeked behind the culinary veil and found that ingredients don’t matter and you can just like, put anything together and eat it and it will probably be fine

it’s liberating but i also feel like my brain and or tongue might just be broken

2 Likes

well, all that stuff obviously goes together!!!

i’ve been doing p.b. and kimchi sandwiches and nothing is better. p.b. and pickles and togarashi is pretty much the same too. i am sure an egg and soy sauce would rule too. sorta sounds like pad thai w/egg on bread???

but at the same time it’s true, if you look into some real old midwest magazine better homes and gardens shit you’ll find marinades that are like, soy sauce and oregano and maple syrup and tarragon or something and in the end it is somehow dank.

i think there’s a golden era post-50s-balogna-aspic-salads and pre-internet where people would just go nuts with mccormick brand spices and eventually have something decent or at least that your whole family unit could get habituated to

3 Likes

yeah i think if i had just gone with full sriracha instead of the vinegar it would have been less underwhelming. the shallots probably should have been either crispy or fully caramelized.

going to make pad thai later so i have a lot of the stuff on hand already… good sleuthing

how did your pad thai turn out?

pretty good

the pan frying of the noodles was a source of concern but it came out ok in the end, when i did it again tonight it came out much better

i never would have guessed that tamarind is what gives it its unique taste, but when it mixes with the fish sauce there is truly some kind of magic chemistry going on

3 Likes

3 Likes

I was going to post about this in the frog thread but then realized maybe it’s in poor taste considering how cute those lil bastards are but frog meat can be pretty delicious!

the one that is commonly eaten in china and taiwan is i think more akin to a bullfrog, afaik the name of it is “chinese edible frog” amazingly enough. they are even uglier looking than the normal “edible frog” image in that link

but as a food it is pretty mild and with a very normal texture. it’s basically like slightly oilier white meat chicken. i know it’s a stereotype to say stuff tastes like chicken but it’s true. the chinese name for them is 田雞 which means ‘field chicken’ and this has always been hilarious to me. the only weird thing is the bones are like… kind of soft? it is a little strange. like the whole thing is made of cartilage almost. anyway eating frog is not exactly my first choice but if you ever have the opportunity to do so i recommend it… for the experience. it’s probably a more sustainable meat than most tbh. frogs eat bugs!

anyway in uh i guess probably more normal food news i totally passed on American Thanksgiving this year and to make up for it i’m going to try making some caribbean food this weekend. jerk pork and peas and rice. it’s gonna rule.

2 Likes

I prefer pork anyway!

I’ve never had Frog legs. Never even seen 'em on a menu. I think it used to be more common than it is nowadays, in the U.S. Albeit its probably still as common as ever, in the south.

Galician beef is meat from old venerable-ass Spanish cows and I will eat some today

I’m trying to figure out a diet that is mostly vegetables but sometimes meat but looking up something like Galician Beef makes me not want to do that and what ugh

When I worked for a catering company, we sometimes prepared frog legs. But they were always in soup, not standing alone. They were fine, but I didn’t acquire a taste for them to the extent that I’d ever seek them out.

Where I live, there are a lot of feral hogs. Some are obviously just a few generations away from a domesticated pig, but others are much more wild-looking. A few years ago, one of my coworkers went hunting and brought one of these back. At a gathering with some other coworkers, they cooked it in a “Cajun microwave” (the kind you bury in the ground with coals on top) and it was very good.

We should do biscuits and gravy at a future meetup. I never eat breakfast either, but I like biscuits and gravy.

1 Like