food, glorious food (and drink)

Exposing @Ymer to red blooded American biscuits & gravy was a particular pleasure

1 Like

I probably should not have put so many habaneros in the marinade but that’s life I guess

ymer eating a hamburger with a knife and fork was the best ‘oh ymer is still at this airport’ encounter I had

4 Likes

I tried some apples called “Pacific Rose”. They have a strange pink color to the skin and have a sort of sweet tart flavor. A bit dry to the feel when you eat it And a good crunch.

Still can’t touch those amazing “Rave” apples. But those things spoil so quickly due to so much juice, I’ve recently had a tough time being able to get more. As they have been rotten in the store.

I got a sous vide circulator a couple weeks ago, and so far the stand out star has been: pork tenderloin. Also I did carrots for the first time tonight, they come out real good. I used it to process 12 jars of pickles. In retrospect I don’t really often eat the kind of big boy meats these devices allow you to perfect but my next project is def. a small brisket.

1 Like

I’ve had my circulator for years, and while it’s cool to do meats in them, the cool thing is definitely veggies.

1 Like

You got any hot-water bath veggie tips?

1 Like

Two years ago I used a circulator to save Christmas and make a prime rib while the oven was being used for baked goods and other dishes. It did end up “perfect” or whatever but being able to use a stovetop or countertop instead of the oven is the overlooked advantage! I mean a slow cooker does the same thing but obv you cannot cook roast stuff in a slow cooker

1 Like

Most every veggie rules, but the key is consistently hitting that perfect texture. Once you’re there, then it’s just being fun/creative. Doing multiple veggies and then mixing them is cool. Finishing them quickly on a stove and making a glaze is also cool. *Note, if you wanna be visually cool (I do), different veggies lose their colors at different temps — circulating can also help maintain their color.

I been in a green apple mood for like a week now. Grabbed 8 more, 2 nights ago. They were on sale for 77c/lb

these are good and also they come in like a miniature terra cotta pot?

my secret plan for the pot is to try burning it all over with the stove till it is super hot and charred and putting it into a pot and then pouring brewed chai over it, i saw i guy do it in a youtube he seemed legit he used a different little pot hope it don’t explode

1 Like

is that like, for cracking and tea-staining or for… drinking or what? is the yogurt in the pot while the burning happens? what is

it’s for drinking and the yogurt is not involved its for burn flavor

1 Like

i did this and it didn’t taste like much, and also the little clay cup shattered when i poured the liquid over it, and also before that i let the milk boil over in the pot while i was distracted, and milk and tea stuff got down into the stove nether area, and also before that i decided to go downtown to the middle eastern grocery store to see if they would also maybe have premixed chai masala in the indian section and i needed ginger too, but they didn’t, $2 parking to buy $.33 worth of ginger, a real sad state of affairs, how will i save the day now

my current plan is to drink a glass of iced HEB vanilla cola and this hot chai at the same time alternating back and forth fuck it

3 Likes

My old coworker and his wife opened a bakery and she makes these amazing cinnamon rolls with croissant dough

12 Likes

email me a cinnamon rolled croissant pls

1 Like

How would that be less than incredible

More layers = more delicious it’s a rule of foods

1 Like

The color-coded gels, made from agar formed in the shape of long tubes, use glycine to create the taste of sweet, citric acid for acidic, sodium chloride for salty, magnesium chloride for bitter, and glutamic sodium for savory umami. When the device is pressed against the tongue, the user experiences all five tastes at the same time, but specific flavors are created by mixing those tastes in specific amounts and intensities, like the RGB pixels on a screen. To accomplish this, the prototype is wrapped in copper foil so that when it’s held in hand and touched to the surface of the tongue, it forms an electrical circuit through the human body, facilitating a technique known as electrophoresis.

Electrophoresis is a process that moves molecules in a gel when an electrical current is applied, allowing them to be sorted by size based on the size of pores in the gel. But here the process simply causes the ingredients in the agar tubes to move away from the end touching the tongue, which reduces the tongue’s ability to taste them. It’s a subtractive process that selectively removes tastes to create a specific flavor profile. In testing, the Norimaki Synthesizer has allowed users to experience the flavor of everything from gummy candy to sushi without having to place a single item of food in their mouths.

3 Likes

yeah but what about smell