wourme 10691
Victor 9341
Mr_Mechanical 9255
MintyJuffowup 7817
DaleNixon 7277
Tulpa 6353
username 6004
Gate88 5747

What is Valence? It’s an indie game created by Jph Wacheski back in 2004. I can’t spoil the rest because I don’t know the rest yet. It seems to be a little like Star Castle, but mutated and more tactile. This will be a learning journey for all of us.

wourme is supplying the game for us here. Included in the zip is a special code that will unlock more levels. Best of luck to everyone! :star2: :european_castle: :exploding_head:

9 Likes

This is one of my favorite games, and I’m happy to bring attention to it.

When I realized I didn’t have the registered version, I contacted the game’s creator (whose work I greatly admire) and it turned out he didn’t have the code himself anymore. So, with his blessing, I decompiled the game to find it. Here’s the reg code:

7ig421wmj32i

And here is how to play the game. (You can see this by simply selecting Help on the title screen, but all the same.)

valence_help

Finally, here is my score when I opened the game to take a couple screenshots today. It’s not a very good score, but maybe that’s good to start things out. I’m not sure I was ever very good at the game, but I was always intrigued by it.

valence_score_20210412

Oh, and R-Type Finally 2, here is a page with some of Wacheski’s other games if you end up liking his style:

jph_wacheski.itch.io

Some of his best games (in my opinion) are older ones that are not found on that page. Maybe I will post about some of them in this thread as we go, or after this round is over.

8 Likes

ah, what an art style

1 Like

when i try that link in a new tab it automatically closes the tab, which is something i can’t remember seeing before, or at least for a long time. might be chrome freaking out for some reason, idk. i got the file by opening the link in a new window and then reloading that page.

Huh, I don’t have an explanation for that but I’m glad you got it to work!

god bless you wourme

i remember playing this game over a decade ago, probably at your recommendation

2 Likes

cool game.

2 Likes

very cool game so far – did a couple runs and my best was 5747

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

Cool game!

4 Likes

3 Likes

I played one run and literally have no idea what the game actually is, but here is my score so that I at least put my name down for this.

2021-04-15 03_00_30-Greenshot

3 Likes

I applaud the dedication to putting that name down. I’m about to do the same even though I know I won’t have time to dedicate to real score chasing until next week.

1 Like

Valence

I floundered around 2000 until I tried this one weird trick.

2 Likes

Probably the same trick I tried yesterday when I got my best score (intentionally staying at level 1).

Side note: Wacheski has made several games free for the next month.

3 Likes

Do you have to quit out of the game and start it again to regain level 1?

Does hitting Return reset it? I accidentally hit Return when figuring out keys on a good score run :slight_smile: