F██KIN' LIBBLE RABBLE

I love Qix. I love Namco. I have never played this game.

This is an arcade game that Toru Iwatani made after Pac-Man. Midway passed on ordering any boards. As far as I know, there are versions available for the Super Famicom, Playstation, Evercade, and Wii Virtual Console…Choose whichever you’ve got available; I’m not aware of any major differences.

Let us learn to Libble and Rabble together, shall we?

Score Libblers and Rabblers
80440 MintyJuffowup
69090 wourme
35300 aislesgrises
23050 DaleNixon
10 Likes

No PlayStation release unfortunately…

2 Likes

How many museums have to be built before Libble Rabble can find its home?

6 Likes

Libble-Rabble is awesome. It was too weird and complex to ever be a hit like Pac-Man was. I like to think the control scheme inspired Namco’s own Katamari Damacy some 20yrs later.

4 Likes

I don’t think I understand this game but here’s what I got.

6 Likes

I think I’m learning and I refuse to read anything about how this game works.

1 Like

IIRC this is the game @meauxdal and I mind melded over at the last meetup. We held on to one controller between us and co-oped it to surprisingly good results!

I’ll pick this up sometime this week

3 Likes

This game is amazing

Rudie and I stumbled across a cab at Kawasaki Warehouse and I flipped out

2 Likes

it may actually have been shovel knight! i dunno if i’ve played this one…

1 Like
4 Likes

Two great things that are great together.

Oh yeah I forgot that! I might’ve played this with someone else

Toru bigs up this game in an old 1986 interview. He said he thought it was better than Pac-Man. I guess you always think your most recent project is your best work.

4 Likes

This game also gets like 15-20 minutes to shine in Tim’s Pac-Man review by the way

2 Likes

This is probably why the game is fresh in my mind even if I was ultimately inspired by a thirst for more Namco.

35300 points got. just surviving is really difficult

3 Likes

1 Like

the two players one controller thing is how i actaulyl thought you were supposed to play the game i dunno if we played together but im the one who rambled about it

2 Likes

A couple theories I'm working on
  • There are chests you can open by circling them, but big circles don’t count. Or maybe it’s that circles that close on the edge of the screen don’t count.
  • Sometimes these chests are filled with fuzzy friends who quickly roll off screen. If you capture them, you get a lot of points.
  • Clearing up mushrooms is like eating pellets in Pac-Man; it advances the game one season. Some seasons have fewer pegs to hook. There are also ghost-like enemies that chase you and go to jail when captured.
  • If you take too long to advance a season, a demon starts to chase you, kind of like Evil Otto (Berzerk would be a great suggestion for chasing scores, by the way).
  • Seeds pop up sometimes and can grow into flowers, but I don’t get it. Maybe they only grow on an area that you’ve circled numerous times?
3 Likes

Just got around to reading some of this interview. This paragraph stood out to me:
If Tim Rogers didn’t quote this somewhere in between reviewing Pac-Man and Tokimeki Memorial, then he must not have seen it.

3 Likes