Every Extend Extra! Extra! (News Thread)

Take it from a Racing Lagoon fan who was told the same thing when it wound up in a mobile game. No

13 Likes

TF2 and Garry’s Mod were truly pioneers

watched these yesterday, maybe i’m wrong but i feel like when the first vid came out most of the conversation about it in vgame spaces just focused on how bad the revenue cut was…? because it’s sort of a given by now that professionalism is the cause we should all be rallying around and that anything that seems horrible can be solved by further professionalisation. we can’t really critique the way roblox pushes 8 year olds into adopting a hustle mindset or into judging their own creative work by the narrowest economic criteria or into chasing algorithmic or youtuber success, since none of those are bad by indie standards - they’re all supposedly useful skills you can go to GDC to learn about - but what we can do is challenge the payout terms, or say that maybe those 8 year olds should learn Unreal instead.

people have obviously been fighting for a while to get “pay artists” accepted even just as a bromide to say when you don’t know what else to say. it’s funny how stuff like roblox and nfts seem to have evolved specifically to take advantage of a blind spot in that same rhetoric, that fighting for your access to the market means fighting for the market’s access to you. if you don’t like nfts you can talk about the environmental impact, if you don’t like roblox you can talk about the payout, to an extent both of these feel like ways of skirting the real problem, since even to identify that problem would mean having to go back and take a harsher view on a fight that’s already been won in different contexts.

27 Likes

“he’s learning unity now” was horrifying to hear

5 Likes

Wild Arms managed to make fantasy and Wild West imagery work for 5 full length JRPGs and a few spin offs so there is a market for this mixing of genre trappings.

2 Likes

2 Likes
1 Like

yeah that was out before the other (false) rumor that a remaster would be announced but their big reveal at the game awards was yuffie on pc

Does unity have a bad rep?

it’s not a bad rep really, I was bummed to hear it though because of unity’s place in the modern game dev landscape - it seems like the industry as a whole is mostly consolidating around unreal and unity as the only “real” (and I hate using that term but it’s the popular conception) professional game dev tools, with unity being billed as the “easier” one to use because it’s slightly less expansive than unreal

but the billing itself is pretty inaccurate because unity’s quest for professional legitimization has made it closer and closer to unreal, and as a result what was originally seen as the indie dev and entry-level game development tool has grown too far complex for people new to game development to use meaningfully, and the switch from roblox’s dev tools to unity speaks to the professionalization-as-salve-for-the-entire-game-industry @thecatamites mentions

13 Likes

Tends to be poorly optimized by default on consoles

4 Likes

honestly one of the best indicators that I’ll like a (3D, action) game is using its own engine or just not one of the two engines (e.g. Apex running on modified Source)

4 Likes

Nindie stuff is starting 0:

1 Like

Wow, Sea of Stars looks exactly like a spiritual sequel to Chrono Trigger, down to getting Mitsuda for the soundtrack. Could be cool, or could be slavish retread.

4 Likes

Oh boy! Hope they get Jordan Peterson back for his cameo in this!!!

3 Likes

Damn, Endling: Extinction is Forever looks like it goes hard. Set in a climate change ravaged future, you play as the last living adult fox, trying to protect your cubs. The trailer showed a bit where you’re on the outskirts of a human village where demonstrators are carrying signs about how oxygen is a human right.

3 Likes

Sitdown face-to-face with Wayforward producers is making me feel strange

1 Like

Huh, Omori looks good. Has anyone played that game?

Not played Omori but google gives me this:

I like the visual style but not sure if it is just another Undertale/Earthbound nostalgia project.

Sea of Stars and River City Girls 2 look alright.

2 Likes

It is much closer to RPG Maker psychological horror than Undertale/Earthbound aesthetic

1 Like