Every Extend Extra! Extra! (News Thread)

Just dropping a “hey, it’d be lovely if someone who can pin threads did so for this new news thread” note here :dancepig:

EDIT: YAY!

3 Likes

You can make the same joke about North. i believe there is Go North, Bad North, North

But is there a North West?

1 Like

I will probably spend a minimum of 50 hours dancing on a longboard and rollerblading through this.

1 Like

Once I noticed how much weight the characters have I started getting excited. If the skating is good it might be a great open world game in its own right.

I have enjoyed Monster Hunter for its mechanics but have no love for the Bronze Age aesthetic or dinosaurs whereas this is fresh whether you’re enamored or repulsed.

It’s still a couple of years out but I liked this video where a guy goes to their studio and checks out their photogrammetry and mocap setups.

3 Likes

The Paprium Kickstarter continues to be baffling and sorry I just now mentioned the Paprium kickstarter and whatever the fuck contest they’ve been running:

Edit: fixed link

they must really care about the scarcity of my leisure time, because there is no way i’m playing with characters that look like that

3 Likes

i actually feel the opposite way about monster hunter! i think the bone armour and all that stuff looks really cool, but i’ve never enjoyed the game itself

1 Like

i want to get into it with World but there are just too many numbers to keep track of and i feel bad for the monsters

5 Likes

I feel like I’d play a different style of game in that setting, as long as you can be one of the little cat people.

Like maybe it would be Joe & Mac but with a MonHun skin

2 Likes

I don’t feel bad for the monsters, but the numbers thing is interesting because for a long time, there were no numbers at all, but people complained enough that World had them at launch and so does Rise. You can turn them off, but I mostly just ignore them. There are always good visual indicators aside from the numbers as to the efficacy of any given attack.

I hope someone figures out how to copy saves easily because damn I want to play Rise PC, but I really don’t want to start all over again. It’s so hard to play other MonHun now though, just because that dang grappling hook and rideable dog.

2 Likes

There is a Feline only game, developed by From even, but only released in Japan: Monster Hunter Diary - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Followup to:

15 Likes

DokeV is probably the first MMO in a long time that really evokes the feelings of early 00s F2P MMOs, which are remembered for their hangoutitude. Pearl Abyss makes some pretty looking games (part of that is they have no chill when it comes to special effects) and Black Desert even feels pretty alright for an MMO. But Black Desert quest design, while the game has some interesting non-WOW style MMO trappings, is still aggressively an MMO and the game is also very aggressive in pushing microtransactions. Hearing DokeV is turning into a regular game is pretty nice to hear, even though it looks like something built for hangoutitude.

I looked up Crimson Desert, the follow-up to Black Desert, and apparently that’s not an MMO anymore either. So I wonder if Pearl Abyss is actually making regular “console style” games or if they’re just kind of re-branding the scope of the MP functionality (mainly I’m wondering how much are they going to be pushing microtransactions in these games, because man, Black Desert has a ton of it).

1 Like

From Leonard Menchiari, who did The Eternal Castle.

4 Likes

@David_Sirloin, did you sell rights for this?

4 Likes

Finally Spock and Sirloin are teaming up.

That’s the only way me, a guy in Japan can read that title.

2 Likes

Hi everyone the reason Chrono Cross was trending was some mobile game tie-in y’all can all calm down.

9 Likes

yeah but we’ve known about that for a bit, people were saying that was going to be in conjunction with something from square. guess not. we need three more bravely default games or whatever instead

1 Like

Supposedly there was some other evidence behind those rumors that seemed to imply that the mobile tie-in was a cross-promotion to tie into a remaster… But at this point things are definitely looking pretty tenuous.

In any case, I’m shamefully thirsty enough that I actually tried out that mobile game, Another Eden. It’s… ok. A truly wild amount of fan-service for Chrono fans, even BEFORE you get to the Chrono Cross tie-in. The whole game is obviously styling itself as a conscious spiritual sequel to those games, but unfortunately it doesn’t come anywhere close to their quality. Good music though.

3 Likes