šŸ¦† šŸ’° ~ DUCKTALES ~ šŸ’° šŸ¦†

What is with that hand out yo gimme some money gesture, is that like Disney animationā€™s version of a T-pose or what

1 Like

Hands complete a gesture and you need to know what the inside of a characters hand looks like. These are character model sheets after all.

4 Likes

jfc they even have the Rip Taylor genie from Treasure of the Lost Lamp in there

When did cartoons get so good at pandering to me

Is this gonna become Duck Tales: Unlimited?

4 Likes

OK, Iā€™m pretty impressed but still waiting for some Paperinik cameo.

1 Like

Canā€™t help but notice the conspicuous lack of Khan, Baloo, and Louie there. Wonder if Disney has some weird rules about not using stuff from the jungle book to not dilute the live action branding?

Also wondering how much any of this is an attempt at backdoor pilot a few shows.

Who would voice them?

Kinda disappointed I came here to say is that the fuqqin Sea Duck I see and Kit is right there on a character sheet.

Oh lol, I posted that thing in the Sleazy thread instead of thinking of coming to the Ducktales thread where Sleazy had already posted it.

This is really ambitious as hell and it makes me feel so many weird things! Iā€™m actually behind on the episodesā€“I havenā€™t even gotten to the first Darkwing one yet. Because, tbh, I still think the showā€™s ambition and desire to dazzle with both unexpected twists and mind-blowing references most often wins out over just interesting, good storytelling. It seems like the showā€™s primarily tweaked to generate the drooling among 30-something Disney Afternoon kids I see on Twitter. Iā€™m one of those kids. And i feel weird about being pandered to that hard. And the pandering hasnā€™t always worked for me, at least not up to the point in the show that Iā€™ve watched.

So on the one hand, all of this wow-factor makes me kinda wary. On the other, of course, Iā€™m squealing with joy and know that given the opportunity, Iā€™d probably be trying to jam as much of this in as possible.

So here are all the thoughts that are spewing out of my diseased brain:

Itā€™s weird to me that Goofy is clearly Goof Troop Goofy but thereā€™s no Max on the poster.

If Donald and Goofy are revealed to be longtime friends, will Mickey also finally make his way into the Duckverse? Or is Mickey still too sacred for something as base as an adventure cartoon? Can Mouseton and Duckburg coexist on TV?

Ludwig von Drake is the director of SHUSH? Tbh, feels like a waste of my favorite Disney duck.

People whose brains break that Pluto and Goofy exist in the same world are going to die of a collective aneurysm if they donā€™t scale up the Rescue Rangers (which I guess they wonā€™t since the Ranger Plane still appears to be a milk carton and a glove).

Also, really kinda wild how relative to the ducks, the Rescue Rangers and Goofy donā€™t seem all that different from their original character models.

Kit Cloudkicker rocking Baloo proportions is messing with my shit.

New Darkwing duds look weird (why the buttons if itā€™s not a suit? and the cape connects to them?). New Gosalyn design is killer, though.

Hope they get Tim Curry back for Taurus Bulba.

Hope they pay real homage to Ducktales '87 and make every single episode featuring Bubbaā€“the better part of a season, ideallyā€“an absolute slog.

Frank Angones said that they havenā€™t revealed all the characters yet. Bonkers confirmed for Smash??? The big question is do they introduce him as a movie star or as a movie-star-turned-cop or just a cop?

Despite all this ambition, Iā€™m going to say theyā€™re cowards until they bring in Bonkers D. Bobcat.

Bet Matt and Frank are working on an episode where the Neutrinos visit from Dimension X.

1 Like

Yeah, iirc, Disney was sued by the estate of Louis Prima for hiring Jim Cummings to do a Louis Prima impression for Louie in TaleSpin.

Oh, yep, just looked it up. Disney settled out of court and Louie hasnā€™t shown up in anything animated since: http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/2016/03/14/was-talespin-sued-over-the-voice-of-king-louie/ ā€“ One can still hope Baloo, Rebecca (honestly, want her more than anyone in the cast), Khan, and Wildcat show up somehow.

Wonder if they worked with Primaā€™s estate w/r/t Walkenā€™s role in the Favreau Jungle Book.

As for who would voice them, though, the answer is probably Jim Cummings. If Ed Gilbertā€™s estate doesnā€™t object, I bet Cummings can do a mean Baloo, and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if heā€™s got a Shere Khan impression up his sleeve.

1 Like

Oh, just looked this up too. Angones said on Tumblr:

1 Like

Mickey can only cross into other universes as a literal king with a keyblade, and we donā€™t want Ducktales getting sucked into the KH vortex (even though it mildly did already thanks to Scrooge and now Chip and Dale).

If the showrunners were just a little bit younger, KH would definitely intrude in some form eventually.

1 Like

So they let a studio make a mickey cartoon that proabably has the most tude the mouse has had in ages but they wonā€™t let him even appear on a fairly safe cartoon? Conglomerate Icons are weird.

I just binged season 2 this weekend. This show is a lot of fun now that it got out of itā€™s establishing phase and can start growing around all its elements.

For anyone more involved with the duckverse, are there actual ducks there and do they look at them like how we look at monkeys and other primates? Just less advanced reflections of themselves? I only thought about this when I saw seagulls on Donaldā€™s boat.

2 Likes

More stray thoughts:

Daisy Duck often looks different, but theyā€™re riffing on one of my favorite styles sheā€™s ever sported. Thatā€™s cool.

I love Jaime Camil something fierce, but I really miss Cummings doing Don Karnage

1 Like

I feel like I can picture in my mind a real duck from an episode of Darkwing Duck, but the image in my head might be coming from somewhere else.

Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s never been a moment in any of the cartoons where they really comment on their animalness.

Though maybe there was something in Don Rosaā€™s Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck that references other birds in a weird way? Or I might just be thinking how weird it was to actually see a baby hatch from an egg.

The woman who managed Glomgoldā€™s business in his absence mentions sheā€™s from Mouseton.

This has already gotten a nod through the mention of Scroogeā€™s favorite ice cream (although itā€™s technically a reference to the theme parks Scroogeā€™s fondness for sea salt ice cream debuted in KH2).

Webby was amazed to see a dog wearing a tie in the street in one of the early episodes so probably. Then again Webbyā€™s easily amazed.

Fuck, this means so much now. Like, TWEWY is Ducktales canon. Have they gone to Tokyo in any of the new series episodes? Because if Shibuya exists there, but TWEWY is a separate world ala every world in KH, thenā€¦

Also like this means that Twilight Town either exists in the actual Ducktales world, or that Scrooge has access to the Gummi and can travel across worlds. This puts him, in KH terms, on equal footing with Xehanort, Ansem the Wise, and of course Mickey and Sora. DOES SCROOGE HAVE A KEYBLADE?!?

1 Like

I just started season 3 and while still very entertaining Iā€™m already missing the structure from season 2 where almost every episode was adding or building up to the reveal of Della Ducks status and the results of the villains machinations. At three episodes in there isnā€™t much in the way of connective tissue. Iā€™m watching on youtube so I dunno if itā€™s in production order or airing order.

Wait, what? Something may be chopping things up strangely (like how some places sell Steven Universe as seven seasons, though so far there are just five), because weā€™re only partway through season two still.

So far the season-two airing order is close to the intended continuity order. The one exception is ā€œFriendship Hates Magic!ā€, which belongs after ā€œWhat Ever Happened To Della Duck?!ā€.

Digital Streaming options has them in 12 episode blocks which are listed as seasons which as an anime watcher feels about the usual length of a season these days. Block 2 had a constant flow of its plot threads involving Della and DeSpell. Block 3 is feeling far more episodic again at least for the first 4 eps. Not to say they are disposable but it doesnā€™t have that same ā€œgotta watch the next episodeā€ feel from the second block.

1 Like