🦆 💰 ~ DUCKTALES ~ 💰 🦆

Ok, the darkwing duck movie episode is working on so many meta layers it’s silly. And does it without getting to obnoxious and still feeling sincere.

2 Likes

It’s bizarre how well it works, right? Doesn’t feel like it should.

You can feel them winking at you with almost every line or scene but they at still telling a story that works on its own so you aren’t actually missing anything.

Dewie calling it his movie has to be a jab at Eisner’s son calling the Gummi Bears his show. (now I forget where I read or heard this story)

1 Like

new episodes this week and next week

I liked Whatever Happened to Donald Duck’s sort of emotional core for Donald’s anger

the whole scene in the barracks just made me want an entire movie of Donald as Jackie Chan

1 Like

O RITE I forgot that was happening too, now. Gettin’ hi off my atus here.

1 Like

della’s scouter breaking and her saying “he’s over 9000” on today’s ep was such an ancient and corny meme that it’s almost heartwarming

1 Like

re: “A Nightmare On Killmotor Hill!”

I really do love how the cast is big enough for the six kids to go off on an adventure of their own and I gotta say the weird dream logic stuff in this episode was more interesting than a lot of movies about dreams and really used animation to high potential.

God Catherine Tate is really giving an incredibly intense and standout performance on this show. Like none of the actors on this show come off as a tv actor phoning it in but Tate is really giving it all as Magica. Is she in those Doctor Who Big Finish audios maybe I should listen to some of those.

4 Likes

A few of 'em! Big Finish is, uh… not the pinnacle of scripted drama, mind you.

1 Like

“The Golden Armory Of Cornelius Coot!” is interesting because it’s kind of a sideways adaption where the central mystery is the plot of a Don Rosa story. Guess it’s kind of a shame Rosa hates this show but this was a fun little adventure story. Only off bit to me is that it seems like Huey shoulda been a little more nerdily excited for what they found but I guess he was in the end.

1 Like

“Timephoon!” is very funny and the way they retconned Bubba’s extreme 80s 'tude to be both a foil for Huey’s logic and ancient McDuck clan savvy is actually pretty clever.

Also seems kind of strange not to just bring back Frank Welker to voice Bubba in what seems like a one-off role.

For those unaware, “Phooey” or “Fooey” is in fact the canonical Fourth Nephew, for those instances where a comic artist inadvertently draws one. Which happens frequently enough for this entity to have a name and be a well-known phenomenon.

And yeah, when he’s intentionally depicted (usually a in faux-academic context), they usually give him a yellow livery.

Jones, or “Neighbor Jones” as he’s usually called, is one of Donald’s main nemeses in the more-domestic WDC&S stories. No matter where Donald lives, Jones always seems to have the house immediately to his right (from the street). And they just cannot compromise on anything. It’s petty and vindictive on both their ends.

With the greater focus on Donald in this show, and characters like Gladstone having a bigger role, I was wondering if some more Donald-centric characters like Neighbor Jones would show up.

Has he ever been animated before?

I’m digging how Magica is depicted when she doesn’t have this awesome magical power. In the books she’s this seductress trickster, who doesn’t really have any power of significance beyond some cheap gimmicks like smoke bombs or potions. That’s why she wants Scrooge’s dime; she’s convinced it will give her incredible power. This is the closest I’ve seen to her original concept.

Also traditionally, of course, the Bin is built on the foundations of Coot’s fort, on the top of Killmotor Hill. (Killmule Hill, previously.) The Duck family is long intermingled with Cootkin, by Donald’s generation.

1 Like

I’ve never minded this show’s much more sitcomy tone of humor or understood the complaints that it undercuts the adventure or emotional stuff, the balance was fine for me, but “GlomTales!” really kinda felt like the absolute lowest stakes version of all the villains teaming up they could possibly do. I needed at least one villain to feel a little more like an actual threat instead of elaborate comic relief.

“The Richest Duck in the World!” was a fun ep and Louie really feels like the person on this show with the most actual character arc (outside of Lena I suppose). I wish they had played a little more into the Richie Rich/Blank Check kind of scenario but the stuff they did do is very weird and in character so it works. I hope Owlson becomes incredibly successful.

They’re sayin’ that Disney is now addicted to this bomb model like everyone else, so it’s kinda screwing with their ability to plan things sensibly. There’s this push-and-pull where they need to have at least ten in the bank before Disney will air them, but then Disney will air them all at once, and they won’t necessarily tell them anything.

There is likely to be a very long hiatus after this week, again, until they’ve produced enough episodes and Disney has figured out the correct random moment to spring them all.

i mean to be fair the fact that season 3 will start “in 2019” means that the hiatus will be shorter than that first one that was like december to may

1 Like

Holy shit “Moonvasion!” was basically the Ducktales version of a Justice League finale in that they wrote it basically like the series was ending. Man the villain team up in “Glomtales!” really was just clearing the deck for this one lol. What a ridiculously stacked set of episodes. Genuinely amazing and they somehow managed to get more emotional juice out of the moon theme in like two different ways. That felt like an old Ducktales five part episode squeezed into two in the best way. I wish regular superhero shows had a payoff this elaborate and strong. Shit rules.

I know Chris Diamantopoulos is just around playing Darkwing and Storkules but getting him to do the Mickey Mouse voice in the stupidest way possible was also very funny.

Also Steelbeak, Rockerduck, Funzo is Phantom Blot(?) fascinated to see F.O.W.L. sort of straight up being the Illuminati like HYDRA in the Marvel movies

Damn this was fun

2 Likes

I am sure I just read a thing by Frank Angones on some platform that this was the exact intention: to recapture the sense he got when he was younger, watching those five-parters. I can’t dig it up now, though.

1 Like

Holy shit, are they actually doing Bombie the Zombie? The single most problematic thing Carl Barks ever included in a Duck story?

The pound sign that Louie sticks on the Bin is a reference to Glomgold’s bin in the comics, which is made as an exact replica of Scrooge’s, except with, well, the different denomination. Which extra-fits, considering the events of the previous episode…

In the comics, Bombie was… well. Scrooge had pillaged an African village as part of his amoral enterprise during the early years of his empire-building, and Bombie was a curse specifically put on him by the surviving witch doctor. Except that at the time Scrooge had looked like Donald (Rosa found a workaround for that oddity), so when Bombie finally turned up in Duckburg, he thought Donald was Scrooge. And it became this whole thing of going back to Africa and confronting that witch doctor again. And it’s just… ye-ikes, it’s not a thing you’re really comfortable reading today.

I find it interesting they felt it worthwhile to repurpose this character, without the original context, to use in developing a different character. Not sure what to make of that, yet.

I feel like the plot here is a mash-up of “Death in Heaven,” “Midnight,” and “Heaven Sent.” Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve turned to Doctor Who.

Like, you know. David Tennant and Catherine Tate.

I continue to enjoy how they give Della the same basic vocabulary as Donald, e.g., “Ah, phooey.”

Pogo-jump. Heh.

It is neat to see some of the forgotten characters from early in season one back. I was wondering where Flintheart’s minions from the pilot had got to.

You know, I was thinking the parallel to make (following the other Doctor Who stuff) was “The Stolen Earth” (by means, somewhat, of “Parting of the Ways”), and that was before they… decided to try to move the Earth out of orbit.

The revelation that through Melon Mickey Donald can actually speak intelligibly is… interesting.

Was wondering if Gladstone and Fethry would show up. The moment they started to talk about luck, it raised that spectre. Which leads one to ask, for all the scheming, where’s Goldie, then?

Manny’s galloping is translated as “RUNNING! RUNNING!”

I was genuinely wondering why they kept pulling focus on those seagulls all episode.

And yeah, that last pull with Scrooge’s sinister accountants, is… sure a thing.

2 Likes

I just started watching this show after having to persuade myself I wouldn’t just be watching a reboot of a kids show on my own out of misplaced nostalgia and it’s making me incredibly emotional after like every episode, I was not prepared

3 Likes

That will tend to increase, roughly.

I like this new generation of cartoons, and the way they tell their stories.

this show is too good

I take back everything I said about current kids’ shows being so well intentioned as to be alienating

1 Like