🦆 💰 ~ DUCKTALES ~ 💰 🦆

OMG

The name “Duke Baloney” is a reference to the Carl Barks comic “Turkey with All the Schemings” (Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories #148) in which Donald has a doppelgänger named the Duke of Baloni, a Mediterranean duke who is the second richest duck in the world (this story was written before Barks created Glomgold).

This reference is the dorkiest thing in the world. I love it.

I don’t even remember this story.

1 Like

I keep going back to this scene. This show has been up and down, but goddamn. The last part of this one episode is frickin’ legendary at this point, just a couple of months later. Like, if I’d seen this as a kid, it would have stuck like a thorn in my brain and I’d never forget it.

I’m not at an emotionally stable place lately, and the catharsis here is shocking.

3 Likes

They did.

they’re bringing back russi taylor to voice young donald who looks amazing lol

3 Likes

I had to look her up to make sure, but all the time thinking, is that… it must be, right? The 1987 nephew voice?

Yeah, that seems an apt look for him. 1990s version of the soda fountain slacker of the comic book Donald.

1 Like

Young Donald calling Della “Dumbella”, Russi Taylor saying Quack-A-Roonie, Bankjob/Babyface/Bugle, those Mickey’s Christmas Carol end credits, what a super fun episode!

I liked how Beakley was just straight up into Future/Death. Appreciated how the kids clocked Dewey as a time traveller and Scrooge’s casualness at seeing himself in the past/future. I love all the weird “experienced adventurer” gags. Shame the TV version cut off the nice little Peanuts-ish downbeat Jazzy song in the end credits there.

1 Like

I was like, “Is Future/Death an anime I never heard of… ?”

There’s a… Duckian Weezer poster.

So is this a hint we’re going to see a Plain Awful storyline, or just another cameo tease?

Seemed awfully detailed for a fleeting reference.

(Scrooge even uses the NES pogo attack.)

3 Likes

also some bird version of nirvana and the ramones

8 Likes

YOUNG DONALD OMG

i rewatched a lil of the og series when this one first premiered and my favorite thing was the nephews. i just found them saying all these super-earnest lines in the same exact baby donald duck voice (unintentionally) hilarious

1 Like

I love the little story the background tells. He tries to use masking tape to hold up the posters but obviously that doesn’t work too well. So to keep the damned things up he tried to drive in some nails, with the typical Donald panache.

1 Like

march 9

Yeah. Clip, too.

I’m agreeing with people that it seems likely she’s experiencing some time dilation, as in the original comic that seems to influence her story here. Which would explain why Scrooge never found her in the most obvious place, and why she’s still alive some twelve years, or whatever, later. For her it’s probably not been all that long.

that was absolutely wild comic book nonsense what a neat episode

paget brewster was a fantastic choice for della considering that the majority of this episode is a one hander and she has to carry it almost all by herself like The Martian for kids. she’s one of few people with that level of talent tbh

i appreciate della having donalds hot temper and seeing where the boys get so much of their personality from

using the nostalgia of the nes moon theme to hit those emotional notes almost feels like cheating but i can’t complain

i don’t wanna wait until may :frowning:

1 Like

I also like how she uses Donald’s specific vernacular, e.g. “Aw, phooey!”

The lack of a title sequence is perfect here. Helps to underline how significant this is.

And, uh, so she lost that leg, huh. The one that got crushed. That must have been fun to manage by herself.

On reflection, this kind of feels like a watershed moment for the show. Like, I can’t see it being the same after this. And this really seems to have raised the level of what the show wants to do, and be about.

The articles already appearing in the mainstream press are… interesting.

3 Likes

whole lotta new episodes this week and next

1 Like

I think John D. Rockerduck is to be introduced in this next run. “87 Cent” sounds like a plausible title for that.

They’re really hammering the expanded euro-Duck canon in here, lately.

“Treasure of the Found Lamp!” has my immediate and uncompromised attention

The DuckTales movie is like, one of my life’s foundational texts

1 Like

They’re seriously restaging this.

Show continues its tradition of anything that sounds exciting being some kind of a silly domestic thing.

The characterization of nu-Doofus is growing on me. Like mold.

Oh, Christ. The candy-striped ruby?

glomgold twerking on scrooges casket to dj khaled was pretty wild. of all things to be the first licensed music on a ducktales show