Dreams (PS4, 2020)

dreams_title

The official release date for Dreams was yesterday, but it’s actually been available for several days. The demo version, of course, automatically upgrades to the full version.

One of the new additions is a sample “dream” that illustrates many of the things you can do with the tools. I played through that today and found it inspiring. I’ve also been going through some of the (many) tutorials.

I figured we could use a thread for sharing interesting things we find by others and for talking about our own use of the creation tools if anyone else decides to try those.

Presumably any creation is ephemeral, though I would imagine that they’ll at least carry over to PS5.

3 Likes

I’d totally love to know what’s up with this game. Probably won’t make much because my creative energy is taken up by other projects, but I’d love to play other people’s stuff and see what this thing is capable of.

I’ll have to find some old posts of mine about this when it first came out in early access and I was somehow persuaded to buy in

one thing I really like about it is how after little big planet claiming to be a do anything engine that was mostly only good for making platformers with terrible physics, the movement in this tends to be exclusively the good kind of squishy no matter what you’re doing with it

12 Likes

So I’ve played a little, and this game is basically the answer to the question “What if Roblox was good?”

1 Like

This came out at a bad time because I was gone over the weekend and I’ve recently gotten into playing fighting games again, but I want to check into it every now and then even if I don’t have time to devote to creation yet. It sounds like people really like mm’s “campaign”, Art’s Dream, which I wasn’t expecting. If you had the early access version you get some special Imp and also an EA bundle with a sountrack, artbook, theme.

Don’t forget you can browse dreams at https://indreams.me/ and you can even add them on your in-game to-do list.

I guess their answer to copyrighted material is to not worry about it.

1 Like

The highscores feature is really cool. God, what would Mario Maker be like if Nintendo understood the internet.

2 Likes

Well I found bunny hop courses so there goes my night I guess. I got addicted to these first person obstacle course things in highschool too. I remember spending a lot of time in Unreal Tournament playing them.

This game is really cool. I know I said I wouldn’t make anything with it but uhh I might make something with it. I can tell the creation tools are extremely powerful but I’m unsure yet if they’re going to be tedious/annoying to use.

3 Likes

Some strong taped-together about to fall apart Roblox energy with this thing. It’s so good and interesting and the creators are so invested and sincere about what they’re making. Really wild as a contrast to Mario Maker, where it’s just trash or levels designed to make streamers angry.

The difference might entirely be the way they curate and highlight content idk.

1 Like

Uh, this is kind of amazing. I legitimately laughed out loud multiple times because I was amazed someone actually pulled this off. I recommending playing it, but if you don’t have Dreams I made a video.

The Gotcha Force is also quite impressive. It needs to be a bit faster but it’s super impressive for what it is so far.

As far as creators, I recall Morning-Nya’s work to be consistently good.

6 Likes

This is something I’m sure MM can add as they go, but it feels like a lot of people who do just modeling are using the same base animation which is a bit more wobbly and lanky in how the waist bends with turns than I’d like. That base model plays better than LPB at least, but visually it’s a bit odd for most characters. I think it would be nice is the game had several built in examples to utilize because not everyone is going to immediately pull an animation off the dreamiverse (what do you call the content library of this thing?).

I don’t know how much time I will spend creating things, but I intend to at least go through all of the tutorials. The number of ways that you can customize your scene is a little overwhelming at first, but you can get a basic working game together very quickly. (One of the early “quests” is to do that with a limited set of options.)

There’s a collaboration feature for shared creations, aside from simply using assets created by others. I don’t know exactly how it works but we might be able to set up a SB group project of some type.

One of the first creations I ever came across was this non-interactive psychedelic scene. I like the creator’s other works as well.

Some people have created haunted house-type things that show some of the potential of what can be done.

(I took the above screenshot months ago. There is now an option to hide the watermark.)

5 Likes

Akaoni is really nice! I think it’s quite solid all around. I’ve only played level 1 and the combat feels good for a From Soft inspired system. I think it drags a bit in the middle of level 1 where it’s not iterating on itself enough but the enemy variety gets better as you reach the last third.

It’s also made me realize that From Software has taught an entire generation that the attack button should be on R1. Our children have been led astray. :frowning:

This is the thing I’ve been playing:

I don’t have Dreams yet but I will at some point. I’m really excited for the potential here and just seeing what people have already done with it during the beta period has really impressed me. It does look like you can make just about any kind of game using these tools.

Ultimately though I think the success of Dreams will hinge on a few things: namely the community staying engaged with it and keeping it well curated, and Sony supporting it over the long, long term. I think ideally Dreams will just be another part of the Sony ecosystem off in it’s own corner growing and expanding and doing other weird stuff as each year passes.

There was some talk floating around a while back about maybe eventually Dreams could become a platform that people could publish and sell their work on but I’m not really sure how great of an idea that would be.

I’m glad other people are having the same reaction to it I did at first, that it seems unusually expressive and well supported for it to wind up on a console, like ZZT was never supposed to be doable with these production values on a closed platform and yet it’s practically all there

I hope they make it free on the PS5 or something, for a project that took a whole generation to ship it really does feel that… central

3 Likes

The tutorials for this are quite good, although I would like a scrubber in addition to the back 10 seconds forward 10 seconds buttons.

I played a bunch of the beginner tutorials in most disciplines at this point, and that has sort of given me the framework to figure out the rest. The creation tools are ridiculously powerful, and more expressive than I though they’d be. Even the programming isn’t bad.

It’s detailed enough that like real game development you really have to be careful of where you spend your time. You can easily spend forever tweaking any minute aspect of anything in your scene.

6 Likes

Here are three things I came across tonight, from least to most bizarre:

1 Like