DooM

Play Doom with a steering wheel and brake pedal.

9 Likes

Huh. Nosed into it recently as far as map 06, can’t say that anything has really bothered me that far, though nothing really has stood out to me either, beyond map 01 providing chaingun quality time instead of going to the shotgun first.

4 Likes

what are your personal recommended wads drackos

Are there other gameplay mods in the vein of brutal doom that try to improve “gamefeel” but feel closer to actual doom?

brutal doom is all aesthetic at the significant cost of doom’s nigh-perfect design and i think that’s a lesson in itself. maybe brutal doom’s SMG is a fair replacement for the pistol, but that’s all i can think of. i guess the visual confetti of brutal doom is pretty fun given the context of the original version in this day and age. You could probably find a mod that is brutal doom without the gameplay adjustments.

doom’s intellectual design dovetails with its a/v design really well for some reason, it’s a deep game with shallow but specific aesthetics. it seems pretty satisfying in vanilla to me, so i wonder what kind of improvements yr looking for

i can’t think of a an FPS that feels better than doom does in the moment. curious about what you think

I know it’s kind of an outlier opinion on SB but I prefer the gamefeel of Quake to Doom. Granted, I tend to play with a pretty extreme FOV and mainly custom maps that only distantly feel like vanilla Quake but I love for instance the grueling perfectionism necessary to fight a Shambler in melee range with no cover nearby (you fight it like an Ogre but with fewer startup frames) or the constant dodging and good grenade aim needed to take down a Fiend.

You can pretty much keep your distance and stay safe in doom but quake requires you to get up close to every enemy at some point in the game, and none of the weapons are particularly effective long range.

But, y’know, this is just a preference. Both Doom and Quake do really benefit from really amazing sound design, basically the best in first person shooters up until Thief.

7 Likes

yeah maybe that’s why I like the new Doomgame, i played a lot more Quake and Q2 and Arena, than I ever did original doom. it feels like it leans more towards the movement and the close up combat of that series.

seconding sound design in quake.

doom’s sound design is really good because it isnt just an aesthetic consideration, it also indicates game stuff. part of doom’s thiiiiing is that it wastes no cycles on aesthetics, it is always giving you relevant information.

i skipped quake until this year! it’s very good and i see what you mean about close combat being more important. i feel like quake’s arsenal encourages big spacing but never gives you the opportunity to take on anything at a range. i like that. it’s very, very brown, though.

so I’ll keep typing about quake even though this is the DooM thread. I love that, because all the enemies are so distinct, and frankly have too many hitpoints, that different enemy groups feel really different in play. Many Quake mappers focus on Ogres, Death Knights, Fiends and Shamblers as the enemies with the most effect on how an encounter feels. The presence of Scrags and Vores tend to have a smaller effect but can still be notably used to really alter the dynamics of an encounter. Ogres should be fought in close range, Shamblers need to be fought either in close range or with nearby cover, Death Knights require room to maneuver and Fiends need to be fought with quite a bit of distance most of the time, but room to maneuver in close range/medium range can work as well.

So, through intelligent combinations of these 4 monsters and the shape of an arena, you can produce a huge range of experience. Even the vanilla campaign features a fight against a shambler and two fiends in relatively close quarters with little cover. That’s one of the most intense encounters the game can provide because they require completely opposite techniques to fight. So either you’re dodging the shambler’s attacks between what little cover there is and focusing on killing the fiends or you’re baiting the shambler’s melee attack while trying to dodge the fiends. That constant balancing act of different tactics is one of the main reasons I still play Quake decades later.

1 Like

You guys remember Zeno Clash? That game also was a highly refined exercise in keeping lots of plates spinning re: interacting in specific ways with different groups of enemies.

Actually, the Arkham Asylum type fake beat-em-up group third-person 3D fighting that’s in tons of games now is a boringly simplified version of the same thing.

If you want to consider that design trend in general enough terms, you could extend it to what I call “maintenance games,” of which the primary example I always think of is This Cat Is Horseshit: games composed of lots of simple actions that you have to constantly engage in to stave off entropy. Lots of tension in the triage process and trying to make your movements ever more efficient so that you can respond to more new problems more quickly.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been hitting up some recent Quake maps and one thing that was very obvious is how the mappers are taking advantage of the source port/modern PC capabilities and are using larger areas beyond what the original game ever offered, or even what stuff like Hexen II or Half Life did. I feel like the overall difference between vanilla Quake and more modern source port Quake maps is a lot bigger than between the two in Doom. That’s what 3 dimensions gives you, I suppose.

I’ve only gotten round to answering this one because I don’t really have any favourites as such, I check out what’s recommended the once because there’s a lot of map packs out there. I will say though that I’ve returned to both Back to Saturn X’s first episode and Going Down a couple of times and attempted them on Ultra-Violence (I find that most WADs are just about balanced for pistol-starting on Hurt Me Plenty and treat that as an initial default to see if it is indeed something I’d like to go back to).

As far as I’m concerned, this thread is perfectly fine for covering Quake or DooM predecessors like Wolfenstein 3D or even Catacomb 3-D.

1 Like

I played through the first three eps of Ultimate Doom on UV using ChocoDoom and it was pretty sweet.

Probably going to move onto Doom 2 since Thy Flesh Consumed was apparently made after it?

i’ve been playing through the 360 ports of the original Doom and Doom 2, since i never really played that much of them before (didn’t mess with it on PC, i had the original doom on the 32X, of all things, but haven’t played since) and i’m still just amazed how good (and fast) it feels to move around through these mazes. Lovin’ the feel of that shotgun and plasma rifle. Lovin’ the (still creepy) sprite faces on the hell walls and still love the midi metal music.

Yeah, Ultimate Doom was the full commercial release available in stores and such, originally you could only get Doom by ordering from Id, IIRC. The extra episode being added probably to help nudge folks who already had it to get it again.

TFC is good, but also quite difficult compared to the rest of Doom, the first few maps in particular.

This game wasn’t that demanding. The same handful of techniques worked on everything and none of the mobs ever forced me to change tactics. The last time I said this someone told me to try the challenge maps because they were much harder than the main campaign, and I did, and nothing changed. Maybe some high-level speedrunner type could wring some nuance out this thing but “highly refined” is giving it far too much credit.

I still have the poster that came with Ultimate Doom somewhere around here…

it’s probably folded up and in lousy shape though

I don’t recall it that way at all, but it’s been a long time.

I like Zeno Clash a lot, but I remember it more like Mikey, sorry Cuba.

Unless you’re talking about the sequel