DooM

Get psyched.

7 Likes

Haven’t finished it yet but it’s pretty good so far. Good to see John Romero hasn’t lost his chops for map making.

I was going to make a Doom thread eventually if no one else did! I’m pre-emptively banning Brutal Doom because it’s bad.

Romero’s level is pretty solid. Enemy placement is kind of “ok, lots of dudes here” most of the time, but there’s some good stuff in there and the start is really rough from a pistol.

This promises to be a good year for wads. BTSX E3 should theoretically be out sometime, with the first two eps already out and fantastic. The Japanese Community Project is sometime in the next few months (a beta’s already out) and I’m looking forward to that.

Demonsteele’s even had a public update with a new character. Also, play Demonsteele.

1 Like

Going to plug this source port again, because the game is something of a forgotten gem within the catalogue: https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

You’ll need a ROM.

I didn’t know Greg Punchatz also worked on DooM 64 models as well as the originals.

4 Likes

I managed to completely miss the Brutal Doom boat and have no idea what the deal with it is. I know it had more gore, and that’s…well, that’s all I know. I figure that’s not the reason it’s disliked.

Complete game overhaul, general balance breaker for most existing content, heavier focus on the feel of the guns and weapons rather than the interplay they have with the enemies so combat is less dynamic and interesting overall. Lots of gimmicks and style over substance. Also a lot of resentment from existing content creators because it brought in a lot of newbies who wanted to know if the content they made was balanced for brutal doom or not.

There’s also just a general sense of “why did THIS mod, of all things, get popular enough that some people consider it True Doom?” It’s just perceptions of what people wanted out of the game clashing, in the end.

1 Like

Interesting! I can definitely see where the aggravation comes from, in that case.

It has ADS : |

[quote=“mauve, post:3, topic:682”]
Romero’s level is pretty solid. Enemy placement is kind of “ok, lots of dudes here” most of the time,[/quote]

I think it’s a testament to how well Doom was put together that you can still get a good level without even putting a whole lot of thought into weapon/item/enemy placement.

The maps that do put a lot of thought into it are the great ones, of course.

Brutal DooM guy also had at least one weird & bad racist tirade and got banned from the ZDooM forums and that changed the tone regarding the mod from ‘lol neat gimmick’ to ‘life is too short for this garbage’.

4 Likes

thanks to @dominictarason for pointing me towards the Japanese Doom Community project: https://t.co/XD21uHqoJr pic.twitter.com/At6YHHVJWg

— Liz Ryerson (@ellaguro) January 21, 2016

11 Likes

Good lord, those are fantastic.

Fully intend on doing a blind playthrough of JPCP on stream once it hits and once my brain is not overloaded, yeah. AND I AM USING THE KANJI HUD

Taking potshots at the Doom community in the followup replies is kind of funny, though. I honestly think the output of what people are making over there is better and more varied than ever.

I was too young/dumb to appreciate Doom 64 when I played it but wow the soundtrack is great:

aubrey hodges also did most of the great sierra soundtracks

He’s also got a Bandcamp page and recently released an extended anniversary edition of his work on the PSX port of DooM.

The Sony PlayStation version of Doom was a conversion of Doom and Doom II by Williams Entertainment. It was released on November 16, 1995 and is still considered one of the most unique versions of Doom to this day.

While the original Doom on the PC used a midi rock soundtrack this version is largely comprised of dark ambient soundscapes designed to enhance the suspense of the levels. The result is a dark and brooding score that combined with the imagery of the levels serves to unnerve and rattle the player. The audio and visuals work together to really define the hellish nightmare that is the world of Doom.

This version features extended arrangements of all the level tracks, new versions of the Main Theme and Finale tracks and 8 all new bonus tracks created using the same techniques used 20 years ago. This album is over 5 1/2 hours of music!

2 Likes
1 Like

Brutal Doom appealed to me (at least the version I played before the dumb shotgun testicles got added) because I tend care more about game feel and the visual language of my actions. I liked seeing damage on bodies being roughly location based so I could tell where my shots hit and I could get a feel of their travel time. I rarely feel like I can enjoy level design in the moment since it involves actually seeing the whole level and finding all the secrets to form a full opinion.

I generally regarded BD as okay as well, also having not played a new version in ages so probably back in the “lol neat gimmick” stage dongle described. It was enjoyable enough to play around with for a little bit. I still like how it made the pistol replacement a relevant thing even with a full arsenal, Doom’s pistol being its biggest weakness in weapon balance.

I don’t know the full extent of how it is now, nor have I any urge to find out.

I do generally get a feel for a level in the midst of it personally. Obviously final verdict has to wait until it’s cleared, but when a level is really good, I tend to notice at some point that I’m just having a real good time.

this thread gives me an excuse to plug the person i consider to be one of the foremost largely-unknown musical geniuses i’ve yet encountered, who also happens to be a doom wad obsessive

the wordpress site is largely reviews and commentary on interesting doom wads, including recommendations

here’s his music, the last two albums therein are music made using the general aesthetic of doom midis, but way the fuck better:

seriously, tho, this guy is an utter genius and his music is beyond brilliant and i don’t say that lightly

2 Likes