DooM

i’m with felix

cool off and realize not everything needs an instant response

Everyone forgets about the Doom RPGs

Also Final Doom and Doom 64. And Doom 2 the master levels THEY WERE AN OFFICIAL RELEASE SO THEY COUNT

The DooM RPGs never got PC releases, did they?

At least there’s DooMRL.

1 Like

Doom 64 rules. The PSX doom soundtrack is so good

1 Like

Orcs and Elves, which was just a reskin of the doom rpg, did at least get a nds release and is thus still playable with a flashcart or emulator

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a reskin; just mechanically similar. I’m pretty sure the content and level designs are different.

And both are available on Aubrey Hodges’ bandcamp!

2 Likes

I’ve only played Doom 2 RPG and Wolfenstein RPG and probably prefer the latter (both are good though), and I can talk about it here because the final boss is a Cyberdemon for some reason

Also I guess Doom 3 BFG edition should be added to that list since it adds a new Doom 3 mission (and also includes the previously “360 only” doom 2 episode which was pretty top stuff)

Someone is working on a port of the Doom RPGs to ZDoom.

2 Likes

I won’t let you forget No Rest for the Living.

i didnt forget it, i mentioned it right there!

i have two great ideas for doom mods, maybe the community can tell me if they actually exist:

Gentle Doom: This is meant to be the opposite of Brutal Doom in every way. Rather than disrupt the very good and nice “mechanics” and “gameplay” of vanilla doom, this version strips away all of the irritating 90’s/satanic aesthetic cruft, unpleasant gore, and dated graphics to leave you with a kind of abstract showcase for the smoothness and nice feelings of the game itself. it’s kind of like Doom meets Tetris, everything is made of different color shapes.

MooD: Mirror images of every doom level, but also the whole game looks like you are in a Tokyo shopping mall or hotel lobby in the 90’s, with a lot of saxophones and other smooth tones.

1 Like

Both of those wind up sounding a bit like The Witness to me?

not quite what you’re after, but Chex Quest is legit pretty good

1 Like

?

4 Likes

Took me a moment.

@broco Gentle Doom would still have to have shooting though, it would just be entirely abstract. Like picture the look of something like Geometry Wars but as Doom. Maybe more pastel and less rave.

@Tulpa Yeah I thought about Chex Quest, but let’s say for the sake of argument that 90’s kids snack marketing aesthetic is as disruptive to the optimal experience as 90’s teen satan aesthetic

@janitor this is hilarious

What’re you talkin’ about bro

don’t encourage him!

1 Like

Can we call it “Darn”

Please

Knee Deep In The Dishes
The Shores Of Heck
Tire Fire
Thy Lunch Consumed
No Rest For The Half-Alive

5 Likes