DooM

There is a hilarious implication here that “abstract” was the design goal of the most realistic and detailed game of its era.

I think that’s part of the artfulness in its craft though. You can hear carmack and romero in old interviews talk about them knowing the limitations they were working with and how they tried to best suit the game to that.

What did he say about goals?

1 Like

The word “contemplative” and the tilt of “better communicates [this read of the setting]” implies an original intent i.e. a goal.

Vic making an Artistic Intent trudge in the mire is the appropriately predictable beat, let’s just savour it for what it is

I have not done this. I am calling you out for doing this.

You are being a snob, and doing the whole exclusionary jeering thing confirms that attitude.

As well as, of course, having no genuine interest in playing DOOM 2016.

SELECTBUTTON: a million years of this dirty orange perk-ridden grindstep shit

1 Like

I like being a snob

It helps

2 Likes

Go play Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls and Dark Souls II and Bloodborne and Dark Souls III.

Compare them rigorously.

we’ve already done that, why is it okay to not do it to DooM and every other game like it (so DOOM and DOOM II and DOOM III and DOOM 3: RESSURECTION OF EVIL)

Snobbishness is the best way to appreciate (appropriate) the Souls series without becoming deathly bored by the shallow i-frame Roll and R1 combat.

Snobbishness is the worst way to approach DOOM, as the snob vocabulary privileges the environment over the combat, which works for Souls but not for DOOM, which has (and still has) incredibly awesome and exhilarating combat. You can’t talk about tactility and gore and badass dudebro moments in Snob.

None of the makers of the best megawads for DOOM are snobs, and just about all of them love DOOM 2016, going by the Doomworld forums.

I don’t know I’m pretty sure Tim has talked at great lengths in many a review of Action Dudebro Games about Awesome Action Dudebro Moments and made them sound exhilarating and fun as have many others

But Tim is, like, the total and aware parody of a snob, and he doesn’t like Souls.

Tim’s no snob.

Also I’d be totally 100% cool with a snobbish assessment of DOOM 2016 if they uhhhhhhhhhh

played it

I was a snob about it too (just scroll up) until I played it.

but I have been playing it this whole time guy

I didn’t call you a snob tho.

Last post from me on this.

You’re a prick.

4 Likes

no wait guys I’ve got it holy shit

this is Doom: The Movie: The Videogame

1 Like

But there was a Doom movie based on Doom 3, and this isn’t anything like it.

can you please not make every thread toxic

7 Likes

no don’t you get it guy
the AAA tie ins
the weapons upgrades
broad strokes storytelling and orange glow
the imps that look like they belong in lord of the rings

this is it
this is what Hollywood has wrought
this is a movie tie in with no movie to tie into