DooM

Unlock original DooM maps in the new DooM and play them with the new demons and gunz

This AWESOME @DOOM easter egg will make every fan of the original game very happy. Well played @bethesdahttps://t.co/H4kMjEuynn

— IGN (@IGN) April 28, 2016
2 Likes

That’s wonderful. I really liked those levels in the new Wolfenstein games as well.

They removed the blinking effects and sector lighting and some of those wall textures are upside down. Good job, id.

1 Like

it’s still in development!! they might fix it!!

Also what’s with id reminding you of their better games whenever you’re playing one of their new ones? Seems like that trend started off with RAGE and it may as well be mandated.

Anyway:

You asked for it, and you’re getting it: a gameplay demo of BLACKROOM.

The team is at work on a demo which demonstrates the kind of gameplay, look and innovative, cool features that make BLACKROOM truly unique — the things we’ve waited years to put into an FPS and which make us incredibly excited about this game.

There’s a hitch here, a hitch that’s making us do something that’s right for the game, the team, and the community: we’re pressing “PAUSE” on the fundraising campaign for BLACKROOM to complete this gameplay demo. Simply put, this will take more time than the Kickstarter has left, so we’ve decided to suspend the campaign and launch a new one when the gameplay demo is ready. We believe, however, it is the right choice. We know you do, too. Thanks to your feedback, we know we should have included it at launch.

To all of our backers: your support has been incredible and valuable. We will, of course, honor backer achievements in the next campaign (and an extra something for those of you who continue to support us in the next campaign).

While we’re working on the first gameplay demo, we welcome you to stay in touch with us at nightworkgames.com and @nightworkgames. Sign up for our newsletter for regular updates. You’re also welcome to email us at info@nightworkgames.com.

The motion (and mouselook) and the entire wrongness of the classic levels in that engine makes me nauseous.

I am looking forward to this campaign being a decent Redbox nightcap to a week of Uncharted 4, but I wish it wasn’t suffused with so much tasteless pandering.

They also seem to be going for Serious Sam-style locked-in arenas with enemies continually teleporting in, which I find much more boring than the free-flowing level-wide chases and monster closets of the classics.

I like manipulating the space and engagement of the whole level, not just mindlessly strafing around arena after arena with tidy corridors in-between.

They really don’t seem to get it, and that’s fine, but they’re also not allowing it to be its own thing.

1 Like

yeah it looks terrible. It doesn’t even have the proper distance fog that Doom does, they must have just basically thrown it together in an hour or two and went like “this is what those retro guys want, right?”

what are you talking about, doom doesn’t have distance fog POSER

1 Like

…yeah it does. It’s not a LINEAR falloff but it’s totally there on any non-fullbright room, things get darker as they are progressively further behind. most GL ports remove it entirely, though.

also, i had a hunch so I checked the actual iwad; the textures in their port of e1m2 are upside down.

oh FOG distance, right

Well that’s hilarious. Leave it to nu-Id to screw something like this up.

Yeah this is my main concern with regard to the level design. It looks okay so far but each area we’ve seen don’t look to have very memorable layouts like the originals. They’re all just boxes connected by tubes. The original game was big on showing you large outdoor areas that you could only access if you figured out how to open the secret door somewhere in the maze of the rest of the level. Haven’t seen anything like that yet in these videos.

Anywhooo here’s fifteen minutes of the Hell level:

This annoyed me so much I made a comparison image

textures in the nook on the top side are misaligned. items are tiny.

right wall on the bottom side is upside down.

neither has lighting.

original level has several different wall textures here, this only uses one, repeating forever

4 Likes

Checkpoints. Codex Entries. “Challenges”. Rune Upgrades. Objective Waypoints. All the health/ammo littered everywhere in plain sight with an environment linear enough you might as well just have regenerating health.

This seems a fundamentally, painfully decent, good-looking game that is buried under a pile of parodies of modern gaming. Nobody wants all that shit. Same goes with the multiplayer (and worse) which plays like Diet Halo and is just fine except for all the tacky crap they sprinkled on it like mini-perks, taunts, progression, challenges – yet another outsourced afterthought MP mode that tries to blatantly ape CoD’s structure without nailing any of what makes CoD’s feedback loops and checklists compelling.

1 Like

i feel as if

they should have looked first to F.E.A.R.

and then extrapolated in every necessary direction

1 Like

its interesting to to me that right after this uh, wow, whatever this is (I wanted to play this but now I really don’t) that romero is coming back to videogames.

I watched most of the stream where they demo the game last week and my favorite part is where the dev says that the weapon upgrade tree is “true to classic Doom”. You know, because it satiates our need for bigger guns against increasingly badder demons. What? I don’t remember skill points and character/weapon trees in Doom?

My favorite is when they revealed the game at Bethesda’s 2015 conference, and one of the exciting features of SnapMap is that you can make modes like “wave survival” and “classic four-player deathmatch”.

Is it negative in here, or is it just you guys???

I think engaged disappointment is the general reaction. It might all feel alright once it’s in my hands on a rental. I really can’t discredit the environment work, especially of the Hell areas, but they’re bringing it on themselves to call it “DOOM” and act like it’s “DOOM” when it ain’t DOOM.

I mean, when your namesake is the greatest indie game of all time, it becomes acutely painful to see the ways in which this is commercialized and compromised to pander to a mass audience that may only exist in Bethesda’s imagination (which will spill over into reality anyway). It’s obviously a solid game beneath the bullshit, and those guns look beefy and the variety of gore is admirable, all the id talent and technology is accounted for… but there’s no soul and no real community since they’re excising mods in favor of that rinky-dink SnapMap feature which looks like Diet Forge to go with Diet Halo.

Side note: DOOM would not have a $40 Season Pass consisting of nine multiplayer maps and exclusive weapons. That is unacceptable for a game called DOOM.