DooM

You’ve played PowerSlave and Saturn Quake? Those are miraculously good, and have this wonderful smooth skating feel (not like the Half-Life skating feel)

2 Likes

Not broached Powerslave as of yet, but I did spend a decent bit of time with SatQuake - it has a higher framerate than SatDoom :’(

it’s really nice, though, it has a unique look and everything is subtly redesigned.

Duke 3D Saturn uses the same engine, too. Also has the Death Tank sequel in it!

i played psx powerslave (it was called ‘exhumed’ in pal land) and really enjoyed it at the time

https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/

Q: Why did you decide to create a megawad?

A: People have been asking me to make an entire episode for many years now, and that picked up a lot after I released E1M8B and E1M4B in 2016. Many messaged me to ask if I’d consider making a 5th episode for the 25th anniversary. So, back in 2016, that’s what I decided to do. Like all other mods, it will be free. However, I also wanted to do something special, so we decided to also create an incredible package that fans would love and include an amazing soundtrack by Buckethead. Everything that’s included in the fan boxes is really cool to show off, and Christopher Lovell’s art is fitting for such a hellish game. The Beast Box has to be the most evil game box I’ve seen.

Q: What’s the storyline for Sigil since it takes place after episode 4 and before DOOM II ® ?

A: After killing the Spiderdemon at the end of E4M8 (Unto the Cruel), your next stop is Earth — you must save it from hellspawn that is causing unimaginable carnage. But Baphomet glitched the final teleporter with his hidden sigil whose eldritch power brings you to even darker shores of Hell. You fight through this stygian pocket of evil to confront the ultimate harbingers of Satan, then finally return to become Earth’s savior. In summary, rip and tear!

Q: Looking back on 25 years of history, what do you think is DOOM ® ’s legacy?

A: I don’t think any of us knew that DOOM® would have the impact that it has had. That people were asking me to make a full episode more than 23 years later? Genuinely, it’s an incredible honor. Aside from the impact it had on what would become the FPS genre, I believe the most important legacy of DOOM® is its community, the people who have kept it alive for 25 years through the creation of mods and tools. It’s not at all lost on me that I have gone from a creator to a part of the community in that space of time, and I love that. My whole life has been about games, and if I hadn’t been a part of DOOM®’s creation, I would have absolutely been a hardcore member of its community. Another thing that’s been wonderful for me is a story I’ve been hearing a lot lately when I meet fans at tech conferences — they talk about having grown up playing DOOM® with their moms or dads and saying what wonderful memories they have. It’s a sign of DOOM®’s age, for certain, but it’s also a sign of its longevity. There are also so many people who got into tech because of DOOM®.

8 Likes

He used to want to make us all his bitch and now he’s so wholesome. That’s heart warming to see

3 Likes

Daikatana changes a man

10 Likes

This was excellent and deserving of everyone’s time.

1 Like

8 Likes
3 Likes

I just posted that in news but holy shit I love the way it looks

Q2 was the first id game I really got into (due in part to it not being a console port of doom) and I know it’s kind of an odd one out in its pacing and setting but I love it

I never liked it that much but I love that meaty jumping grunt noise

That’s so cool. Stuff like that makes me wish I had a computer capable of running it. I love Q1/2 so much. Everything about those games are like peak '90s for me. Doesn’t get any better than that.

Yeah, unified lighting models rule. Actual indirect lighting does so much to make a scene cohere.

Seeing denoising artifacts and occasional glimpses of raw path-tracer output in a realtime engine is real weird.

I poked around with this. It’s not really a flashy demo, but everything looks extremely solid and grounded in the world in a way that creeps up on you; similar to the grounding that ambient occlusion techniques added, but with the color of unified bounce lighting all the time.

did id ever make a worse-feeling gun than the Q2 pistol? half the guns in that game are just awful. It really is the start of a trendline towards militarism that culminates in Modern Warfare but these baby steps are just the worst.

you can play it in Mirror Drop mode if you want

6 Likes

Companion Interview with Kinn on func_msgbaord

3 Likes